Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20084 07/18/09 01:36 PM
newvox Offline OP
OP Offline
Well apart from the appearence of Gary Numan at the recent Nine Inch Nails show at o2, they did a pretty good show all round.

Had to post this \'Head Like A Hole clip! smile

Good luck to them on their continuing 'Wave Goodbye'....

#20085 07/18/09 07:00 PM
The song that got me interested in NIN: Head Like A Hole. smile

#20086 07/19/09 12:12 PM
newvox Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
The song that got me interested in NIN: Head Like A Hole. smile
So im guessing you bought 'Pretty Hate Machine' first M?
Has to be their best album along with 'Things Falling Apart'.

Nice to see a change of direction in some respects though. Im thinking 'Year Zero' and beyond....

#20087 07/19/09 01:58 PM
I have been listening to NIN since Pretty Hate Machine. eek I lost track of NIN for awhile during Trent's troubles and 'rediscovered' them through a friend with the 'With Teeth' album

#20088 07/22/09 04:31 PM
I really dig their last two albums. I know, they're more poppy as their predecessors, and that's exactly why I can listen to them more often as older NIN work.
I only hope that Numan rapidly loses his NIN fixation. Do your own job Gary!

#20089 07/22/09 09:14 PM
Quote:
I have been listening to NIN since Pretty Hate Machine. eek I lost track of NIN for awhile during Trent's troubles and 'rediscovered' them through a friend with the 'With Teeth' album
Me too.

I gave up after Downward Spiral - I saw them on the tour and thought there was no way they could top that. When The Fragile came out - I knew I was right.

In between all this, I grew up (uh...I think) and Reznor didn't - so I left him; a fat Robert Smith caricature in millionaires clothing.

...and then The Slip came out...and I didn't like it...

I didn't like it because it confronted me, it said "I'm a good album" and I was too snobby to disagree. But The Slip was right -it wasn't The Downward Spiral which is fair enough.
It wasn't overtly commercial (in a NIN-sense) as "With Teeth", it wasn't trying too hard like The Fragile either - Reznor had...(dare I say it?...) 'matured'...moved on... (hell, if my songs had been covered by Johnny Cash, I'd of shot myself and died a happy man...so why not Reznor?...)

A long time coming but Reznor's no longer giving me The Slip, but he's a looooooooong way from fixing Fixed!

wink

Gazza

#20090 07/22/09 09:41 PM
If you haven't yet, give a listen to Further Down the Spiral. Considered a 'remix', I like to think of it more as Trent's alternative version of Downward Spiral. Lots of times when I listen to it I think to myself 'this is better than the original' eek (there I said it)

#20091 07/22/09 09:49 PM
Quote:
If you haven't yet, give a listen to Further Down the Spiral. Considered a 'remix', I like to think of it more as Trent's alternative version of Downward Spiral. Lots of times when I listen to it I think to myself 'this is better than the original' eek (there I said it)
Oh I listened to Further Down the Spiral...but I got the feeling it was a bit like getting methadone after being used to smack...a bit like how my friends thought Broken was the real deal and that they were 'just not getting' Reznor's 'sleight-of-hand' to realise that Fixed was 'where it's at' and not Broken.

But they were wimps and never heard NYC's finest debut - Suicide by Suicide - so what could they possibly know about anything? wink

#20092 07/22/09 10:44 PM
Trent's Ghosts is the one that took the longest for me to 'get'. Just ask K about my inital reaction to it.

Trent's biggest mistake in my opinion was allowing Year Zero to be remixed by others. I never ever play that one. frown

#20093 07/22/09 10:57 PM
Quote:
Trent's Ghosts is the one that took the longest for me to 'get'. Just ask K about my inital reaction to it.

Trent's biggest mistake in my opinion was allowing Year Zero to be remixed by others. I never ever play that one. frown
I've still yet to hear Ghosts - my fault entirely - I just can't let Reznor out of the box he's made for himself(!) But I understand that, after the tour, this is the direction he is taking in the future, so I am intrigued.

MESSAGE+++NEWVOX! WHAT WAS MARYANN'S INITIAL REACTION TO 'GHOSTS'!?*+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

After 'Further....' I gave up listening to the appendix works (live/remix albums) and concentrated on occasionally listening to the main works - can't say I was impressed until 'With Teeth' and the recent material ('The Slip'). Maybe it's just age, but I wondered what a 40+ multi-millionaire individual had to be 'sixth-form angry' about these days - and the cod(swallop)-sci-fi of 'year zero' didn't help change my opinion.

BUT....I can now hear Reznor growing and maturing - a little late, but it's good to hear and that's why I'm looking forward to hearing the material once the live sideshow dies down and the adventure begins...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.