Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19532 03/15/09 07:01 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Marc's Almond's self-indulgent but rather wonderful second album with The Mambas has been out of print and going for silly money for a few years. But I'm happy to report that it's been reissued and play.com are doing it for £11.99 inc. p & p.

Includes three bonus songs: 'Your Aura', 'You Never See Me On A Sunday' and 'Mamba'.

Sleazy gothic flamenco never sounded so good. smile

#19533 03/15/09 07:16 PM
Administrator
Administrator
This is the best news I've had in years! I have all the Almond CDs except this one - my favourite of them all!

Thanks for posting - this is up there in my top albums of all time.

If not THE top one... eek

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#19534 03/18/09 10:02 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Since it arrived on Saturday morning Torment & Toreros has been monopolising my CD player, and I can now begin to appreciate why you're so passionate about it, Martin. It's fast approaching masterpiece status in my estimations now.

It had been over 20 years since I had heard Torment & Toreros, and back in the day I only liked about half of it at most, despite being a huge Marc Almond/Soft Cell fan at the time. I was just too immature and artistically uneducated to understand where Marc was coming from, particularly sonically. Many songs just seemed to drone on, aimless and minimalist. Now those same songs sound superb and are among my favourites. And the minimalism is a masterclass in nuance and understatement.

And how on earth did 'Torment' leave me underwhelmed? Co-written by Steve Severin, it's a perfect merging and distillation of Almond and The Banshees at their best. cool

Two discs of this marvellous music for £11.99 - maybe the prices paid for it on ebay over the last few years weren't silly money after all.

#19535 03/19/09 08:15 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Yay!!

I've got four different vinyl copies of this (one signed) but it's 'desperate;y' time I got a CD version.
Consider mine ordered...

Incidentally - have you got Marc Almond's latest collaboration with Michael Cashmore, "Gabriel and The Lunatic Lover"?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#19536 03/19/09 02:07 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

Incidentally - have you got Marc Almond's latest collaboration with Michael Cashmore, "Gabriel and The Lunatic Lover"? [/QB]
No, my interest in Marc started to wane a bit with 'The Stars We Are', and then I found 'Enchanted' disappointing. The last album I heard of his was 'Fantastic Star', which I think is pretty good. It may, however, be time to check out some of what I've missed over the past 12 years or so... smile

#19537 03/19/09 05:15 PM
Administrator
Administrator
No worries

I can't recommend enough his 2003 album "Heart on Snow" which is probably the best of his recent output.

Mind you, it's all pretty damn good and so good to see him back on form after that terrible crash. "Enchanted" and "Fantastic Star" in particular are actually rather weak in comparison, so I'd encourage you to revisit for sure

#19538 03/19/09 06:41 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the advice, Martin.

'Torment And Toreros' has been bringing back memories of my Gutter Heart years, and in particular how in awe of him I was the first time I saw him on a sweaty night in front an adoring audience on the 'Vermin In Ermine' tour in 1984.

I had been intrigued by reviews of 'Heart On Snow' when it came out and I shall indeed use it as my point of re-entry.

#19539 08/25/09 03:11 PM
M
M
Marc will be signing copies of his new album, Orpheus In Exile, at HMV, 150 Oxford Street, London, on Monday 7 September at 6pm.

..says www.marcalmond.co.uk

#19540 09/06/09 05:15 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Released tomorrow

Marc Almond - Orpheaus in Exile

http://www.marcalmond.co.uk/orpheusmicro/index.htm

#19541 09/06/09 06:48 PM
S
S
Hopefully I'll pick up a copy somewhere.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.