Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
almost forgot...
Pink Floyd : The Wall
:rolleyes:
almost forgot..

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon smile

I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

Laaaayzeee Sundee Afternooon-nah! smile
THanks Radler , I'd forgotten all about that one . A classic indeed
"Gor Blimey Mrs Jones how's your Bert's lumbago ?"
Excellent stuff You southern monkeys can be quite creative at times laugh
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B8QcrF1oBwg
All the best for tomorrow whoever you are playing (I've lost all interest in the Yoofa)
I only wish Sunday was further off than it actually is frown

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
What's a 'concept" album? confused
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album

Replicas is a concept album, Telekon is not.

Junk Receiver is a concept album. also.

Administrator
Administrator
Hmmm - don't all albums have a theme/concept of one kind or another?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I s'pose even Metamatic is a concept album ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

Laaaayzeee Sundee Afternooon-nah! smile
THanks Radler , I'd forgotten all about that one . A classic indeed
"Gor Blimey Mrs Jones how's your Bert's lumbago ?"
Excellent stuff You southern monkeys can be quite creative at times laugh
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B8QcrF1oBwg
All the best for tomorrow whoever you are playing (I've lost all interest in the Yoofa)
I only wish Sunday was further off than it actually is frown [/b]
Southern Monkeys! ha! ha! ha! ha! I've not heard that in ages! laugh

Through injuries and cup-ties we're fielding a very young squad tonight - I think 'Arry wants us out of the Yootha Joyce and concentrating on the Premier League. I reckon you've got a chance on Sunday; we're resting players for it, but there's a few injuries.

Back OT - Can someone create me a piece of software that changes all text into 'Unwin'? wink

I read recently that Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is going to be a theatrical production with the Stanley Unwin narrative performed by his son! smile No idea who could replace Steve Marriott though frown

M
M
Quote:
Hmmm - don't all albums have a theme/concept of one kind or another?
Hmm.. I wonder what's the difference between 'Themed' & 'Concept', albums?

Maybe the theme becomes a concept on completion.

I am awaiting delivery of Penthouse and Pavement from Amazon.

Interestingly, Wikipedia describes it as: -

Penthouse and Pavement is the debut album by the group Heaven 17 and considered one of the first concept albums of the 1980s.

C
C
After Metamatic I think I believed I’d stopped listening to concept albums altogether laugh (well, the ones that were originally classed as such). A year ago I started to rediscover those 70’s ones that I’d loved, but looking at my other CD’s it seems that a lot have a thematic relationship linking the tracks, maybe that’s the concept idea still at work today and it’s just been absorbed into most music, a lot of the non-mainstream has this aim, even if its just unconsciously underlying it. I’ve always been somewhat disappointed if the tracks on an album don’t feel like they work together as a whole to some degree, like scenes in a film, or chapters in a novel.
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:

I s'pose even Metamatic is a concept album ...
Got to be surely, unifying theme, musically and lyrically experimental, progressively visionary. I'm sure some of those 70’s concept albums I loved ultimately lead me to Metamatic, and now maybe back around again!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds for me laugh
Sticking with 70’s period albums this one is a good contender for me also (and I didn’t even get to enjoy it fully until I bought a copy in ’89 long after its release). I still get a rush of excitement thinking about the ”Da Da Dah…” opening music, and the fantastically reassuring voice of Richard Burton guiding us to safely throughout the relentless Martian invasion.

There’s one Yes album for me, the Hermann Hesse inspired: 'Close To The Edge' (the original suite, not the remastered CD with bonus extras messing it all up :rolleyes: )

As maryann has already posted, I also would probably pick Pink Floyd: 'The Dark Side Of The Moon'. Sure its a bit of an obvious blockbuster choice, after a very long gap of ignoring it I bought a CD last year, and was surprised at hearing afresh its innovative dark and light emotional textures, which I think makes it deserving of the title of favourite concept album for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
[b] Hmmm - don't all albums have a theme/concept of one kind or another?
Hmm.. I wonder what's the difference between 'Themed' & 'Concept', albums?

Maybe the theme becomes a concept on completion. [/b]
This is a tricky one, that always makes for a great debate. IMO i always think of a concept album, as an album with a theme anyway. For me, their one and the same.

As for 'dont all albums have a theme/concept. The general rule i go by, is that 'most' 'pop' albums are just a collection of songs put into one place, so no concept at all.

Peoples idea of concept/theme, and even concept/or not, is very varied. confused

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.