Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
#18521 11/12/09 08:33 PM
M
M
Der Katalog on Kling Klang - shop: Preis 89,90 €. Perhaps a christmas gift for myself.

#18522 11/13/09 10:19 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Normall:
Der Katalog on Kling Klang - shop: Preis 89,90 €.
That’s £80 in the UK, and its £17 more than I paid for the set release here eek

I’m still agonizing over getting the German box set. I took on board Vox Humana’s helpful reply about the language difference’s in the lyrics throughout all of the albums, but there’s at least 4 I’d quite like to have in German, so this is when I start thinking maybe I may as well get the other box-set. Perhaps next year.

#18523 11/13/09 11:52 AM
My copy of Der Katalog arrived on Monday, (via amazon.de) and I was intending to say something about it but I think it's understandable that I just got into it and enjoyed it first cool

My first impression was of the weight! It's very heavy. What you get is a standard 12inch album box that is an inch thick but the card used is practically industrial strength. Secondly, (having torn off the shrink wrap) is the smell, (smell the glove laugh ). No... seriously! Pop the hood on this one and it smells like a new car. So much fresh print and new plastic (I happen to like that).

Everything's packed to within a very narrow tolerance. Possibly a little too tight a fit. I found the books only just squeeze back into their separate inner box. The CD's (all miniature replica card album sleeves) fit snug (4 x 4) two albums per slot) are easy enough to prise from their high density white foam but the ones on the bottom can be a bit fiddly. I also found sliding the inner card sleeves for each CD out was initially a bit tight (I did worry I might bend them).

Anyhow... by this stage, I'm furiously stroking my goatee (no that's not a sexual metaphor) wink

My early reservation about the removal of Karl and Wolfgang from the front sleeves no longer applies. Now I have the box set, it all makes sense. When you open the album, all four original members are still represented and indeed in the superb 12 inch booklets that accompany each recording contain many images of the original line up as it should be. I now feel that the simplification of the album art was simply to make an minimalist statement rather than any "rewriting of history". The books contain no text, (I rather like that) just the original artwork concepts and alternate images.

As for the all important music; someone else has written an extremely detailed blog which I largely agree with READ HERE . I do find his comments about the start ID's of certain tracks to be a bit pointless though. The recordings are still the same regardless of where the CD decides to plonk it's start point.

I do feel that some of the noise reduction could have been handled a little better, (audio restoration being something I do for a living) but overall, it's not a big issue. The recordings do sound better for the clean up. The Man Machine (Die Mensch-Maschine) coming out best of all.

I do disagree with the blogger about Techno Pop however. I think the mastering sounds much better than the original although the replacement of The Telephone Call (Der Telefon Anruf) with the A & B side single mixes was a mistake. The original 8 minute album mix was far better than these two.

It should also be noted that the final album, (Tour De France) is not remastered. If you have this already you will have another duplicate I'm afraid. It makes complete sense of course, being so recent, there is no reason to change the sound on this.

So what to do?

Well I've ordered both box sets because I'm a Kraftwerk completist but for those less obsessive, I would recommend buying one box set and supplementing it with individual albums in the language of your choice. Remember, three of the albums will be identical as they are multi-lingual, (Autobahn, Radioaktivitat and Tour De France).

Overall, a nice thing to have. There's no doubt this was designed specifically for the obsessive, (and jollies a'plenty is does deliver). The remasters are worth having but not essential. As has been said many times before, if the old CD's were a bit quiet, you can always turn them up, (and crank the bass a bit if you like). Some may enjoy the new noise free sound (very sterile, very Kraftwerk) but others like me may be loathe to sacrifice some of the ambience lost in the process and miss the old mains hum and crackle that truly vintage gear used to produce.

cool

#18524 11/13/09 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:
My copy of Der Katalog arrived on Monday, (via amazon.de) and I was intending to say something about it but I think it's understandable that I just got into it and enjoyed it first cool

As for the all important music; someone else has written an extremely detailed blog which I largely agree with READ HERE . I do find his comments about the start ID's of certain tracks to be a bit pointless though. The recordings are still the same regardless of where the CD decides to plonk it's start point.

I do feel that some of the noise reduction could have been handled a little better, (audio restoration being something I do for a living) but overall, it's not a big issue. The recordings do sound better for the clean up. The Man Machine (Die Mensch-Maschine) coming out best of all.

I do disagree with the blogger about Techno Pop however. I think the mastering sounds much better than the original although the replacement of The Telephone Call (Der Telefon Anruf) with the A & B side single mixes was a mistake. The original 8 minute album mix was far better than these two.

Many thanks for your review Shaun. The anti-remastering reviews for Der Katalog have been building up for some time now, so I'm still umming and ahhing about whether to get it or not - I really don't want to spend that amount on albums I already have, just to be bitterly disappointed by the remastering process.

#18525 11/13/09 05:27 PM
No probs Garry.

I think it's a safe bet that you would enjoy what they've done with The Man Machine and Autobahn. The clean-up on these is more or less transparent and vastly improves the overall sound. Trans-Europe Express is a pretty good, flawed in places but still good. Europe Endless is absolutely superb whereas Showroom Dummies is a bit flat.

Radioactivity will probably be the one most likely to disappoint (being just too heavy handed). There was always a lot of background noise on this album and its removal has been detrimental IMO.

Computer World isn't great. The flaws in the original master are still there and the bass has been slapped on with a trowel in places.

As for the rest, I think you can safely leave those...

#18526 11/14/09 12:43 AM
So Shaun,in summery,for the non Werk completists and who have most of the albums one way or another,you suggest only 3 are really worth getting??
Thanks for the advice mate,always great to hear your point of view smile

#18527 11/14/09 09:28 PM
F
F
Quote:

As for the all important music; someone else has written an extremely detailed blog which I largely agree with READ HERE .
An interesting blog,
but I have to say that anyone who can write "The Mix was where they brought their music from the past into the present, reinventing their most popular tracks, revivifying them with a burst of energy • The brilliance of this album is in its ability to give these classic tracks such an impressive new lease of life, while remaining true to everything at the heart of the originals" is clearly deeply insane lol

The Mix was, is, and always will be, a bit crap. smile

#18528 11/15/09 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
[QUOTE]The Mix was, is, and always will be, a bit crap. smile
Agreed!

#18529 11/16/09 01:57 PM
C
C
Quote:
I think it's understandable that I just got into it and enjoyed it first cool
Thanks for your great and thorough review, and if only I could get as much helpful knowledge about so many other things on life, (don't suppose you know how to DIY and easily and completely change all of a bathroom/kitchen tap fittings do you laugh )

Seriously, you've also solved my should I or shouldn't I get another box set dilemma. I had already focused on getting TTE/Man Machine/Computer World/ and Techno Pop as individual German CD's and you've confirmed that as the obvious choice.

I'm also in the frame of mind that The Mix is the one I could have done without in this set, and overall I'm very surprised by the packaging size and layout, somehow I was expecting something more 'compact', along the lines of John's Cinemascope box set, don't know where I got that impression from laugh

#18530 11/16/09 06:11 PM
T
T
For me The Mix is a curate's egg. The highlight is the medium length 'Autobahn', which is excellent.

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.