Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
#18511 11/10/09 02:36 PM
I'm sure many Durannies* at the 'RCM' shows 'got the joke', given that many who attended probably grew up and got into music at the same time the band were releasing their first album.

*No unintentional sterotyping of Durannies intended.

#18512 11/11/09 12:34 PM
M
M
I agree with E. G. Ekin here 100%.

#18513 11/11/09 02:27 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
I can see why people would think this is both hilarious and, possibly, awful, but I think you have to look at it in context.
Thanks for the explanation, I thought for a moment that Duran had perhaps had some kind of collective late-career musical amnesia, and woke up trying to remember who they were,
with Le Bon saying: ”Hang on, I think we’re a pop group”, and John Taylor saying: ”No, we’re definitely power rock, power rock with ballads”.
”Um, I think my names David something", says Nick Rhodes: "err, it's kind of unusual, begins with an S…”.
”Classic power E'Lectro rock!, that’s it”, says Roger Taylor.
”No wait a minute”
, says Le Bon, ”Look at this old timetable thingy I’ve just found from behind this filing cabinet, I think it's for the German railway system or something”. ”That’s us there on the cover, I’m sure it is!”.
”Hmm, I’m still not sure”, say’s Nick Rhodes, “those guy's don’t look like classic E'Lectro rockers, more like bank clerks”, ”And, I think my name might just be David Smith..!"

Actually, back onto the subject of Kraftwerk, (or indeed any artist you hold in high regard), what I find kind of infuriating are these sort of comments you see if you look through the YouTube pages this clip is posted on:

Paulkiotobjj (11 months ago):

"maybe they want to show their influences and show a bucnh of people what Kraftwerk is...after all they are the reason why some people know who Kraftwerk is"

Velociraptor027 (11 months ago):

"They are not the reason people know who Kraftwerk is. I'm sure plenty of folks know who they are and not because of Duran Duran. Coldplay has probably led to more people discovering Kraftwerk than Duran Duran."

I’m sure those two people above are undoubtedly a lot younger, and clearly more misinformed than us on here, but that’s the sort of crap that has me doing a Colonel Kurtz and saying: ”The horror… the horror…” laugh

#18514 11/11/09 05:05 PM
Q
Q
Nick played Neon Lights/TEE/Dummies etc.at the
Bowie/Ferry/Roxy nights at The Runner.Oi wuz thair.

Nick bought a Wasp.

Just think of it as Nick showing the other lightweights what hard graft at a tiny synth was
really like wink

#18515 11/12/09 07:50 AM
M
M
I've watched it again & have realised that it doesn't matter if they were serious or having a laugh. Their version is still crap.

Matter of opinion of course, but I am right. wink

#18516 11/12/09 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
I've watched it again & have realised that it doesn't matter if they were serious or having a laugh. Their version is still crap.

Hmmm. Of course, one man's crap is another man's creativity or interest. If you don't like it, that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion, whether you believe it to be right or if someone else thinks it to be wrong. However, saying it's 'crap' does belittle a creative process that's had thought, time and effort put into it to ultimately give people something different and that many enjoyed on the night and throughout the tour. It was meant as entertainment; it was entertaining. The sound, presentation and mood at the RCM concerts were far better than looking at an amateur film with relatively poor sound taken from one place in the audience on YouTube on a computer screen two years after the event took place.

Matter of opinion of course, but I am right.

smile

#18517 11/12/09 11:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMU-3qb8Cjk

a classic Duran number with the beat from the mighty 'werk's Numbers grafted on almost redeems the WTF of their Showroom Dummies performance – almost...

I do realise what LeBon is trying to do, but it still looks like a provincial Bingo announcer on a wet Thursday evening checking there’s enough OAPs before he gets down to the serious business of announcing his balls. ‘Wogan on Blankety Blank’ was another thought also.

I 'fess up - I was a fan, a huge fan in what modern youth parlance is known as 'back in tha' day' - so I went to my fair share of DD gigs - this just doesn't work, in or out of context - they just look really, really uncomfortable.

"All. She. Want. Is...Number 11!"

#18518 11/12/09 12:13 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha! Love the way the KW thread has become a DD discussion .. the road from Duesseldorf to Brum is oh so brief...

Don't forget next up it'll be OMD and Simple Minds doing Neon Lights together live, although I doubt they'll get McCluskey and Kerr to stand still for 4 or 5 minutes behind computer consoles...they'll be respectively windmilling and prancing around the stage probably crashing into each other in the process!
Looking forward to the handheld video-bootlegs on youtube already!

#18519 11/12/09 01:12 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
[b] I've watched it again & have realised that it doesn't matter if they were serious or having a laugh. Their version is still crap.

Hmmm. Of course, one man's crap is another man's creativity or interest. If you don't like it, that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion, whether you believe it to be right or if someone else thinks it to be wrong. However, saying it's 'crap' does belittle a creative process that's had thought, time and effort put into it to ultimately give people something different and that many enjoyed on the night and throughout the tour. It was meant as entertainment; it was entertaining. The sound, presentation and mood at the RCM concerts were far better than looking at an amateur film with relatively poor sound taken from one place in the audience on YouTube on a computer screen two years after the event took place.

Matter of opinion of course, but I am right.

smile [/b]
Absolutely. wink

#18520 11/12/09 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Ha! Love the way the KW thread has become a DD discussion .. the road from Duesseldorf to Brum is oh so brief...
hahahaha!

Back on track - There's a nice picture of Der Katalog here;

http://kraftwerk.technopop.com.br/news_recent.php

Not sure if this is a promo copy version, or what will be released later this month.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.