Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18292 11/04/08 10:22 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
http://www.davidbyrne.com/tours/index.php

Great to see David coming to the UK. But at £35 a ticket, I'm not sure I'll be going to see him....

Makes you realise just how good we get it with John's generous (and surely undercharged, but we're not complaining!) ticket prices.

#18293 11/04/08 09:16 PM
This Friday I'm flying out to Washington, DC (alas, not Leeds! frown ), and as part of a belated birthday treat to me, my sister got tickets to see David Byrne Sunday night. Although I liked Talking Heads up until their third album and I think Byrne has done some interesting things since, I can't say I'm all that bothered about seeing him live, but hey, at least I didn't have to pay for the overpriced ticket myself! (I'm much more looking forward to seeing the Gutter Twins on Friday night, and it doesn't hurt that the ticket to see them, which I did pay for myself, was about a third as expensive. wink )

#18294 11/04/08 09:58 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Makes you realise just how good we get it with John's generous (and surely undercharged, but we're not complaining!) ticket prices.
That is true. But also David Byrne is probably a 'bigger' draw than John...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#18295 11/10/08 02:54 PM
Mmm yes, I'm very happy that I was able to see John at all in the Netherlands. And David Byrne being a bigger draw ... Only for the other things he did with Eno ... I agree. smile

#18296 11/12/08 06:26 AM
I saw David Byrne Sunday night at the Warner Theatre in Washington, DC. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, to be honest. Side note: Talking Heads were my favorite band until I discovered Ultravox in 1978, but I kind of lost interest in TH altogether around the time of their third LP. Keep in mind, too, that my perspective may be colored by the fact that I didn't have to pay for my very pricey seat.

The small ensemble of musicians/backing vocalists onstage with him were very tight and the sound quality was great overall. Byrne's improved his guitar playing quite a bit, his presence was engagingly quirky as is to be expected, and his voice was tremendously powerful. Although the new material from his current CD collaboration with Eno has almost a gospel feel to it, it was nicely integrated into a well-paced set.

I would be tempted to say that the evening was an unqualified success except for the fact that the three dancers Byrne had with him were distractingly bad and their choreography was TERRIBLE! He would have been better served with a more interesting light show and/or video projections on the stage backdrop . . . which of course made me think of John Foxx and what marvelous things he could do if he were to perform in a space like that. (No, I'm not bitter that I was in DC over the weekend instead of Leeds – no, not at all! wink ) How nice it would be to see him perform in a beautiful venue like the Warner, which is a restored vintage movie theater — elegant, stately, gorgeous, but not stuffy. Unfortunately, John Foxx could not likely draw the kind of crowds that David Byrne can, so I don't think there's much chance he could sell out the Warner (which seats about 2,100) unless it was the only show he performed in North America. frown Still, it's fun to think about the possibilities . . .

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.