Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I thought I would post the detailed review I have done of the recently released "Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat" album here on the metamatic forum. Here it is ....

I was delighted to have been part of a very special project celebrating the music of John Foxx. A special Robo Cast Radio special was recently aired which included artists who have been influenced by John's work. In conjunction with the Robo cast special a compilation album called "Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat" was in the works which was again to feature artists that had appeared on the show and were influenced and inspired by the music of John Foxx. The CD features 18 tracks including a track by myself called "Stranger In A Room".

I thought I would do a detailed review of the CD to give people an idea about the amazing talent that has contributed to the album.

The CD kicks off with "A Stranger In Your House" by Paul Berry which has the hallmarks of John's influence stamped all over it. It does have a it of an ambient feel to it and is a haunting track and a good one to start the album with.

Established recording artist Anne Clark's "Full Moon" is the second track on offer, which is infact a club mix of the song. Very upbeat and is a song that has grown on me a great deal.

Track 3 is "The Future That Never Arrived" by Logan 5 and is a piano instrumental track (Think John Foxx & Harold Budd). Some nice choir sounds on this mellow track.

"Wonderland" by the Sunset People is the 4th track and it is a minimalistic track with a Kraftwerk style beat. Anotehr track that grows on you the more you hear it.

Mark Lane's "Who's Really Listening" is next and straight away the rhythm section has a John Foxx feel about it. A very futuristic track.

Next are The Glimmer Room with "Grey (Part 7)". I am familiar with Andy's work and he really does write some excellent ambient based music and this track is no exception, great track. You should also check out his track "Lake Song" on the Robo Cast show, it is stunning!

John Foxx sidekick Louis Gordon very kindly donated the track "Move Through Grey" which has a "Metamatic" feel about it and would fit easily on that album (Think of the track "Glimmer" and you won't go far wrong). Anothere great track!

Track 8 is Lethal Foam's "113" which is a piano led track with some nice dramatic sounds in it. Had a bit of an X-Files feel about it.

The start of track 9 "Better Strangers" by Thematic is so John foxx. Another upbeat track which is a real grower. Reminded me a bit of the Sisters Of Mercy in parts.

"Synth City" by Neuvogue I absolutely love with it's Soft Cell overtones. If you did n't know it you would swear you were listening to a Soft Cell! Lyrics and vocals so Soft Cell, brilliant track, one of the best on the album.

Toffeetronic are next with "Let Me In". The intro reminded me of The Human League (Think "Dare" era). Great bass line through this song. The song then moves into John Foxx era Ultravox.

Next up "Just A Mirage" by The Upstairs Faction is another upbeat track that has a bit of a pyschadeilc feel to it in parts. Very catchy and I love the synth sounds in the song, top song!

The Light Dreams Is another project I am familiar with. I have heard a lot of their stuff and Alex has again found the spot with the ambient track "Reflections".

Future Daze I know very well and have been following Ian's music very closely over the last year or so, a very talented musician and his contribution "Oxygen" ticks all the right boxes. Great dance track and clever use of sampled vocals.

Next up is my contribution "Stranger In A Room" which is very John Foxx and also part Ultravox (Vienna era) and is a stunning track ..... well I would say that would n't I!!

Another firm favourite of mine is the track by Sarah Bradshaw called "Incandescence". A beautiful track with it's piano melody, absolutely superb. It is a track I would say is a little like the work of Robert Miles.

The penultmate track is another ambient piece called "Tuesday Blues" by The Mateyblokes. Very much chillout and does have a hint of "Cathederal Oceans" about it.

Geigertek close off the album with the excellent "Picture In Eyes". Great synth sounds in this "new age" track. Again I nave been following Neil's work for quite a while now and have been impressed with what I have heard.

When you way up that this album consists mailnly unsigned artists it is a truly unbelievable piece of work from start to finish and in all honesty the whole thing sounds polished and professional. This really should be a much wider scaled release it is that good and I'm not saying that because I have a track on it. I know I am immensely proud to have a track on it and so should all the other artists. Myspace has a wealth of talent that deserves to get recognized.

I can't recommend this CD highly enough, don't think about getting it .... get it, you won't be disappointed I guarantee it.

As for my review score 20/10 no I'v not gone bonkers it reads right 20/10, 18 for each artist and 2 for the artwork and packaging!

Gary Hunter MySpace Page

Cheers

Gary

Nice review Gary, very fair. It really is an enthralling listen.

Out of 18 songs, there's only one track I don't like, and have to skip. Otherwise a very addictive album and I'm still amazed that I'm a part of it!

I hope CD sales and podcast downloads continue to go well.

OP Offline
Thanks for having a read Alex I appreciate it. It really is a fantastic CD all round.

Gary Gary Hunter On Myspace

H Offline
I downloaded the album and have to say I am mightily impressed with it! It has certainly opened my eyes (and ears) to other artists.

There is a wealth of talent right there and you all should be commended for it. Good on yer!

It's when I listen to this and other electronic music, I really regret not taking up music as a youngster. I managed 2 years on cello, then had to give up to keep up with the maths. Oh well, I could always go and get piano lessons .

Look forward to "Here we go again" or "Here we go 2" in the near future.

All the best

H smile

Cheers for the review Gary.I agree lots of John Foxx in there and many other influences spread throughout.

I've hardly stopped playing this album this week.

H its never too late to start into music.
I started in my 20s stopped for a long time then recorded my first track just last year.

Brian

L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by H:
Look forward to "Here we go again"

What a great title!
I too have hardly stopped playing the cd,its fantastic.

Now I've chance to listen to this album and I'm really impressed with the quality of the contributions. There are some outstanding tracks on this album and some very talented artists out there.

The only track I struggled a bit with was Full Moon by Anne Clark. I loved Louis's track Move Through Grey.

Well done to everyone involved in the project and I thoroughly recommend this CD before they all sell.

Peter smile smile

H Offline
H its never too late to start into music.
I started in my 20s stopped for a long time then recorded my first track just last year.

Brian

Thanks for the encouragement.
It's given me an idea to get hold of something for my computer to play on. Looks like a copy of "Future Music" will be on the shopping list this week.

H
smile

H,

You dont need a lot to get started.

I have a couple of synths,a PC & a copy of Audacity freeware I use for multi-track recording.

You dont even need real synths these days you can turn your PC into a softsynth.

Personally I'd always have a real synth though laugh
Brian

H Offline
Thanks for the advice Brian. Looks like I only need to get a keyboard or some pc software to get started as I have the pc and the audacity (ha, ha!) to do it

Now, if I can just get myself from behind the lens, I can get going!

All the best

H smile

OP Offline
Thanks guys for the excellent feedback on the CD & review.

Gary
Gary Hunter Myspace Page

Quote:
Originally posted by H:
Thanks for the advice Brian. Looks like I only need to get a keyboard or some pc software to get started as I have the pc and the audacity (ha, ha!) to do it

All the best

H smile
Go for it!

I only started making my own music in 2006 and had never tried before. All I have is a midi keyboard and my iMac with Garageband.

Quote:
Originally posted by H:

All the best

H smile
H

Magazines such as Computer Music give away whole packages of soft synths, sequencers, drum machines etc every month on a CD which will help to get you started if you plan on just using the computer.

H Offline
Thanks guys!

H smile

T
T
I've been playing this a couple more times:

My favourite tracks are the instrumentals, especially the ambient ones by The Glimmer Room and The Mateyblokes (really wasn't expecting that from a band called The Mateyblokes!). I also highly rate The Light Dreams track. And I just love that beat on Louis Gordon's track (bossa nova, is it?) which has made many an appearance since JM Jarre first (?) used it on Oxygene.

Of the vocal tracks, I think the Future Daze track stands out, I like the speed changes as if the Oxygen is somewhat in short supply. I was reminded of a movie where two bank employees were locked in a vault over Bank Holiday weekend. Slight romantic subtext, with the dilemma of them making the effort to escape versus conserving the remaining air. The panic and emotion, and the calm resignation.

Is that Phil Oakey singing on Better Strangers' track? Neuvogue is very Human League/Soft Cell. I like both of these very much. I also liked Anne Clark's track - the style was somewhat unexpected having only previously experienced Pressure Points. But I suppose that was over 20 years ago ...

I don't think there are any tracks I don't like on this CD, so well done to all.

Glad you like my track smile

I've played this CD a lot - probably to melting point!

Out of all of them, my very favourites are "Stranger In Your House" by Paul Berry and Louis' track. I think "Move Through Grey" has the strongest Foxxien sound, style and atmosphere - but I'm not saying that because he's Louis and works with John, but looking at it as a track by Louis the solo artist, and Louis the fan of John Foxx, inspired by his music.

Another track that has a very distinctive Foxx sound and style is Gary Hunter's song, which also echoes early DM, which is cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I've been playing this a couple more times:

My favourite tracks are the instrumentals, especially the ambient ones by The Glimmer Room and The Mateyblokes (really wasn't expecting that from a band called The Mateyblokes!). I also highly rate The Light Dreams track. And I just love that beat on Louis Gordon's track (bossa nova, is it?) which has made many an appearance since JM Jarre first (?) used it on Oxygene.

Of the vocal tracks, I think the Future Daze track stands out, I like the speed changes as if the Oxygen is somewhat in short supply. I was reminded of a movie where two bank employees were locked in a vault over Bank Holiday weekend. Slight romantic subtext, with the dilemma of them making the effort to escape versus conserving the remaining air. The panic and emotion, and the calm resignation.

Is that Phil Oakey singing on Better Strangers' track? Neuvogue is very Human League/Soft Cell. I like both of these very much. I also liked Anne Clark's track - the style was somewhat unexpected having only previously experienced Pressure Points. But I suppose that was over 20 years ago ...

I don't think there are any tracks I don't like on this CD, so well done to all.
Glad you like my track Mr Puddle.

Yup The Mateyblokes is a strange name.It should have been just Mateybloke since Kerry has not contributed to anything for quite a while.

I have played the CD an awful lot.Stanger in Your House & Alex's track get stuck in my head too often to the point that I have to stop listening to the album. wink

Brian

The Mateybloke(s) track works really well in its positioning in the tracklist. A lot of thought and care has gone into making this CD really something special - and it certainly is.

And there's a great sense of 'group effort' since there are several of us from this forum on there too, which is really nice.

OP Offline
Hi Alex glad you liked my track "Stranger In A Room"!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Glad you like my track smile

I've played this CD a lot - probably to melting point!

Out of all of them, my very favourites are "Stranger In Your House" by Paul Berry and Louis' track. I think "Move Through Grey" has the strongest Foxxien sound, style and atmosphere - but I'm not saying that because he's Louis and works with John, but looking at it as a track by Louis the solo artist, and Louis the fan of John Foxx, inspired by his music.

Another track that has a very distinctive Foxx sound and style is Gary Hunter's song, which also echoes early DM, which is cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.