Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
In conjunction with Matt from Toffeetones, we have a very exciting project in the pipeline.

Firstly, I am planning to create a special ‘John Foxx’ themed Robo Cast Radio show. We want artists who have been influenced or inspired by the work of John Foxx to appear on a special show. Robo Cast Radio, for those who do not know, is a popular podcast show I produce, dedicated to all forms of electronic music.

We are therefore looking for artists to submit tracks for the show. The criteria is simple -

1) The submitted track has been inspired in someway by the work of John Foxx. The track does not have to sound like John Foxx but you have taken inspiration for your creation.

2) Any era and electronic style can be included. Electro, ambient etc.

3) The music is one of your own original tracks. I want to keep away from cover versions.

4) I am also asking artists (if possible) to record a short sound byte outlining why John Foxx has been so influential on your own musical creations. Or just record a comment of your own choice on the subject. I would like to add these comments into the show. This is purely optional but it would be nice to include some comments from the artists.

** And now the even more exciting bit **
With Matt, we are planning to produce a John Foxx "inspired by" CD featuring artists from this special show. This is not your regular tribite CD as all the tracks are original but taking inspiration from JF.

I’ve already had some tracks sent through from forum members and from other artists we know who are big John Foxx fans. Ideally, I’ll like to have all the tracks within the next 3-4 weeks. We would like to coordinate the show with the release of the tribute CD.

You can get in touch with me regarding this project at robo@robocastradio.co.uk

If this comes off it will be fantastic, with your help.

Cheers,

Ian

This is tremendously exciting.

You already have mine - if you let me know which track(s) you're interested in (assuming there are some!) then let me know, and I can give you background info on them if you wish.

I'll e-mail you a bit about how John's music has influenced my work.

Looking forward to hearing this project. Having already heard Recliner, having a JF tribute album is going to be something really original.

Peter

Quote:
Originally posted by Future Daze:

With Matt, we are planning to produce a John Foxx tribute CD featuring artists from this special show.
When I heard about Ian's idea of a tribute show I thought it was a great one, I felt we could compliment it with a cd - a bit like when a magazine did a special issue and had a cover mounted tape/flexi disc on it.

There are plenty of talented Foxx inspired folk out there who can contribute to this project -

1. Music - Ian is doing a grand job compiling tracks from all sorts of Foxx inspired artists.

2. CD Art - Some great imagery is required, send ideas to Ian or toffeetones@hotmail.co.uk

3. Words - If you have something to say about Foxx and his influence why not jot it down or record it and send to Ian or toffeetones (address above).

Here we go......
Matt

What about a title?

OP Offline
I've only had a quick think about a title and as yet, I've not come up with anything. So, please feel free to post your title suggestions on the forum.

Cheers,

Ian

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
What about a title?
Damn good point Alex - What about a title?

post ideas on the forum.

Maybe a certain line from 030 might be appropriate for a triubute album title.

"Someone pushing through my outline"

Or "pushing through my outline"

Brian

Taking a title from lyrics or John's song names (if there's no legal implications) is always a good idea.

My choice would be Electricity and Ghosts

I think things like In Rising Light or Fog Structures could work well too.

Administrator
Administrator
I think this is such a great idea!!!

But instead of coming up with a title first, why not see what comes out at the end once you have an overall theme/sound etc for the album?

best wishes to everyone involved, from the most musically inept person on the planet!!!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
OP Offline
The music I've received so far for the show/album reflects different aspects of John's music. I hope to receive a cross section of material in terms of styles of era influences.

OP Offline
Just a quick update on the Robo Cast John Foxx special show. Lots of great tracks already received (and additional audio soundbytes from some of the artists) and I'm waiting for a few to complete their electro masterpieces.

I've been in contact with Anne Clark's management. I will be sending some questions to Anne in the form of a text interview about her time working with John on the Pressure Points album. I want to put the answers into the shows blog details and website. I also have a remixed track (Full Moon Club Mix) for the show from Anne's new album "THE SMALLEST ACTS OF KINDNESS" (her first album of original material in over a decade). This is out in September.

So, if anyone would like me to ask Anne about the Pressure Points album, her time working with John or any other related questions please let me know as soon as possible. Sorry this is very short notice but I've only just been informed about this and I want to get the questions into her tomorrow morning. I have prepared my own questions but the forum members may want to chip in. Post your questions to this thread and I'll check for any replies Thursday morning.

Cheers,

Ian

OP Offline
Hi Everyone, just a quick update.

We’ve had a fantastic response from the participating artists. Most of the tracks have been submitted. I'm waiting for a few artists who have been working on brand new tracks for this exciting project. We’ve set a deadline of the 14th July for the remaining tracks and they should all meet that deadline. It’s going to be a fantastic bumper show, with some wonderful John Foxx inspired music and a few surprises!!

We quickly decided this would not become a “tribute” show/CD in the traditional sense, as the tracks are all original and “inspired by” John’s work. This makes this project even more exciting.

The aim is to have the show and CD project ready by early August.

The project title is – “Here We Go – The Other Side Of Metal Beat”
This is a combination of suggestions from Rob and Gary Hunter. Thanks to everyone else who sent in suggestions.

I’ll post additional information when all the tracks are in.

Cheers,

Ian
smile

OP Offline
Well, all expected tracks are in and I've started to create this very special Robo Cast Radio show. All the tracks have been sent to Matt (Toffetones label) to create the CD element of this exciting project.

The show will feature several artists from the forum who have created their own original tracks, taking influence or inspiration from the work of John Foxx. We also have a couple of very special exclusives from John Foxx associates past and present!! I won't spoil the surprise, you'll have to wait for the show and CD. Plus the Robo Cast website will include an interview with Anne Clark. The interview is mainly discussing Anne's 1985 album Pressure Points.

We are aiming to have the show and CD ready at the same time in early August. The show and CD will not be identical. We will have some different tracks on the CD for added interest.

I'll keep you posted when the show and CD are ready for release smile

Cheers,

Ian - Robo Cast Radio - http://www.robocastradio.co.uk/latestshow.html
(& Future Daze)

Administrator
Administrator
I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks to Ian and everyone involved in pulling it together

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
It's a very exciting thing to be a part of - can't wait!

OP Offline
After discussions with Matt (Toffeetones Label) the release date for the show and CD will be 25th August. I’ll post more details of the artists and tracks soon. The show will feature some different tracks to the CD from the contributing artists.

This is going to be very special smile

Cheers,

Ian

L
L
Can't wait!!
It will be fascinating to hear the contributions that everyone has made.
I am thrilled to be involved too! laugh

I'm looking forward to this as well.
Glad to be involved laugh

H Offline
How about calling the CD
"The pleasures of eccentricity"

H

Good title H but I think they've called it something else.

Are we all eccentric now? :rolleyes: :p eek laugh

OP Offline
The title of the show/CD is -
"Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat"

This is a combined title from our very own Rob (Metamatic) and one of the artists on the show/CD, Gary Hunter.

More news coming soon.

OP Offline
Well the wait is nearly over!!
Release date is Monday 25th August 2008.

Robo Cast 26 - "Here we go - the other side of metal beat".
This show will feature original tracks from artists who has been inspired or influenced by the work of John Foxx. Plus, we have a couple of exclusive gems from John Foxx associates.

Also, in conjunction with the TOFFEETONES label, a very limited edition CD (just 100) has been produced featuring artists from the show as well as some tracks set aside exclusively for the CD. The CD will be released at the same time as the show on the 25th August 2008.

You can find more information on the Robo Cast website news page -
Robo Cast Radio NEWS

Thanks to Alex for the artwork cool

Excellent, excellent news! This is very exciting and special. I'll get something up about this on Quiet City if that's OK with you.

18 tracks - brilliant!

I wonder what John will make of it.....

OP Offline
No problem Alex, please spread the news smile

I have been involved in a small way with this project and have a track on the show (A Face I Knew) and on the CD (Stranger In A Room) which are 2 tracks heavily influenced by John's album "Metamatic".

The whole thing is a fantastic project and does promise to be something special. I have heard a preview of the show and it is fantastic with some brilliant JF inspired music and also audio pieces from artists talking about John's musical influence. The show is terrific and I believe the CD is going to be something well worth getting especially as it has exclusive tracks from Anne Clark and Louis Gordon this limited edition release could prove to be a very collectible item.

Some very hard work has gone in to this project to ensure the whole thing is a very enjoyable experience.

.... Roll on August 25th!

Official Myspace Page

Gary

OP Offline
Matt from the Toffeetones label has created an electronic press kit page for the CD side of this project.

The CD details are listed on the following webpage - http://toffeetones.toffeetronic.co.uk/MetalBeat_EPK.htm

Thanks again to Alex for the fantastic cover.

Matt has already had a lot of advanced interest in this limited edition CD and it's expected to sell quickly.
The CD will only be available from the Toffeetones site and it will be on sale the same day as the show goes live - 25th August.

The Robots are standing by for transmission on the 25th August. In the meantime, you can hear the previous shows at - http://www.robocastradio.podomatic.com/

Just scroll down to the PLAY button on each episode or even DOWNLOAD them for free.

Cheers,

Ian

T
T
That IS a great cover!

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this special CD.

Fantastic cover design. It would make a nice stand alone picture in a frame just on it's own. So much to look at, with all vivid colours.

Peter

Alex, Matt & Ian - many, many thanks for this. Looking forward to hearing both the CD and the podcast! smile

Seems as the "Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat" is released on the 25th of this month as is the special Robo Cast show I have decided that on the same day I will be uploading my cover of John's track "He's A Liquid" to my web pages on Myspace & iCompositions (Rob has given me the green light to post this cover). For now though you can enjoy my covers of some Yazoo & Gary Numan tracks as well as 2 special electronic interpretations of 2 classic Joy Division tracks. (She's Lost Control & Love Will Tear Us Apart).

Gary Hunter Myspace Page

Gary Hunter iCompositions Page

It's been great working on this project; hats off to all involved - especially Ian who's worked his robo-ass off and Shaun at dubsounds who had to master every track with a toothpick to make sure the whole thing sit's all neatly together.

I'm proud of the results and can't wait to hear what people think of it.

Cheers
Matt

------------------------------
toffeetones.toffeetronic.co.uk
------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by Toffeetones:
It's been great working on this project; hats off to all involved - especially Ian who's worked his robo-ass off and Shaun at dubsounds who had to master every track with a toothpick to make sure the whole thing sit's all neatly together.

I'm proud of the results and can't wait to hear what people think of it.

Cheers
Matt
I'm with you on that Matt Ian has worked very hard on this project so a personal thanks from me for his efforts and of course yours.

Gary

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Really looking forward to getting my hands on this special CD.

Fantastic cover design. It would make a nice stand alone picture in a frame just on it's own. So much to look at, with all vivid colours.

Peter
I can send you a big version! laugh

I'm proud to have been involved in this project, alongside so many other great friends/fans/musicians.

I can't believe how quickly you guys pulled it all together - great job.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I'm proud to have been involved in this project, alongside so many other great friends/fans/musicians.

I can't believe how quickly you guys pulled it all together - great job.
Hi Alex

I think the art work you have done for the project is excellent and fits in perfectly with the John Foxx theme.

Gary

Gary Hunter Myspace Page

Thanks Rob for including information about the "Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat" album in your latest newsletter. It is appreciated.

The CD is out on the 25th of this months and is well worth getting! Also a reminder that I will be uploading my version of "He's A Liquid" on to my pages at myspace & iCompositions on the same day the CD is released and the special Robo Cast Radio show is aired.

Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Myspace Page

Gary Hunter iCompositions Page

C
C
Hi Matt

At what time can you order the CD on the 25th, 00.01 am or 9.01 am?

Cheers
Chris wink

At 9:00am gmt Monday 25th Aug a pre-order button will appear on -http://www.toffeetronic.co.uk/tt_shop.html

The reason it is a pre-order is because we expect to take delivery of the actual finished cd's later in the week due to some fine tuning with the printers. This is all in the interest of the final product being as good as we can get it. Expect delivery within 10 days.

All the best

Matt

Looking forward to it Matt, will the artists receive there copies by the end of the week? presume we will.

I will post some blogs, messages etc again tomorrow.

Blog posted already about the CD & show but I will update it tomorrow.

Gary Hunter MySpace Page

Gary

Quote:
Originally posted by Toffeetones:
At 9:00am gmt Monday 25th Aug a pre-order button will appear on -http://www.toffeetronic.co.uk/tt_shop.html

The reason it is a pre-order is because we expect to take delivery of the actual finished cd's later in the week due to some fine tuning with the printers. This is all in the interest of the final product being as good as we can get it. Expect delivery within 10 days.

All the best

Matt

L
L
Its been up there on the web for a couple of hours now!!
Enjoy!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
[QB] Looking forward to it Matt, will the artists receive there copies by the end of the week? presume we will.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toffeetones:
[qb]

Hi Gary, as soon as they are in - they will be sent out.
Cheers
Matt

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Its been up there on the web for a couple of hours now!!
Enjoy!
Good Lord! eek

Placed my order at 10:13. The pre-order button was still there so I assume there are still copies left.

Matt, I must say that the front cover artwork is one of the best I've seen.

Congratulations!

Chris wink
PS Alex it's you!?! That's impressive. I also look forward to your track. wink

OP Offline
ROBO CAST 26 – HERE WE GO – THE OTHER SIDE OF METAL BEAT is now ready. You can stream or download the whole show for free.

For FULL details of this special show, including all the artist links and information, visit the Robo Cast website –
http://www.robocastradio.co.uk/johnfoxx.html

You can STREAM or DOWNLOAD the show for FREE from - http://www.robocastradio.podomatic.com

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE CURRENT SHOW DOWNLOAD -
http://robocastradio.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-08-24T08_14_38-07_00.mp3

SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PODCAST - RSS Feed
http://robocastradio.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

iTUNES FEED –
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=266758166

TO ENSURE YOU DO NOT MISS OUT PLEASE JOIN THE ROBO CAST RADIO BLOG
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.Confirmsubscribe&friendID=209952362

L
L
What a great show!!
There's a very interesting selection of work,my personal favourites being Future Daze,Light Dreams,Sunset People and Ajanta Music.also great show production-all the little snippets and robo dialogue,special effects and such.Great work Ian!
Can't wait to receive the CD.

OP Offline
Thanks for the comments Gavin and thanks also for your great contribution.

The Future Daze track "I Am A Stranger" was added fairly late. The show was scheduled to have the track "Oxygen" but as Tessa used "I Am A Stranger" for the video I swapped the show track. "Oxygen" is on the limited CD and I've put the video for that track on the website page for this project - http://www.robocastradio.co.uk/johnfoxx.html

The show has had over 300 downloads so far which is fantastic smile

In conjunction with the John Foxx Robo Cast Radio Special and the release of the CD "Here We Go - The Other Side Of Metal Beat" I have as promised uploaded my version of John's track "He's A Liquid" to my page on Myspace and also my iCompositions site (This has a much better quality file).

You can listen to my version of "He's A Liquid" via the links below:

Gary Hunter - MySpace Page

Gary Hunter - He\'s A Liquid

Please let me know what you think either in this topic thread or even better on my Myspace site.

Gary

I've just downloaded the podcast and am playing it as I work... cool

OP Offline
ROBO CAST RADIO – John Foxx inspired special is now available to stream or download for free!!

For those who have n't heard it yet you are in for a treat, it is an excellent Podcast!

Gary

Quote:
Originally posted by Future Daze:
ROBO CAST RADIO – John Foxx inspired special is now available to stream or download for free!!

Hmmmm. Just finished listening to the podcast. Some interesting things on there. Well done to everyone involved.

OP Offline
Thanks to everyone who's checked out the ROBO CAST JF related show so far and helped to make this the most successful Robo Cast show so far. smile

Since the show was loaded we've had over 500 downloads which is fantastic. The show was only loaded "unofficially" on Sunday night 24th Aug, ready for the actual live announcements and official live date on 25th Aug.

Thanks again and keep spreading the word. Full show details and extra goodies can be found on the website - http://www.robocastradio.co.uk/johnfoxx.html

Administrator
Administrator
Anne Clark fans might be interested in this interview with Anne, recorded at the end of 2007 while she was recording her new album in Germany

http://www.side-line.com/ac_news_comments.php?id=27546_0_23_0_C

There's an interesting mix of styles and ideas on the podcast. Not all of it was to my personal taste, but it goes to show the scope of influence John's music has provided.

Overall, an impressive collection, and with over 500 downloads, it can't be bad! That's surely something to celebrate!

Well done guys! cool

OP Offline
I will not be posting a new Robo Cast show for a few weeks. As this special show has proven to be very popular, I want to ensure it remains the prominent Robo Cast show smile

Thanks again to everyone who took part and thanks for all the feedback cool

C
C
Listened to it a few times now, I really enjoyed all of the instrumental tracks, particularly 'Stranger in your house', and 'Corridors'.
'Let me in' is a good funky call and response track, and the music on Anne's 'Full moon' club mix is great.

'Lake song' really stood out for me though, and although I'm not into Ajantamusic I was very intrigued by 'As we revolve', may have to check out the new album. I thought these two tracks had a very Delerium feel about them, (I'm a big fan of Karma, and Semantic Spaces).

Glad you enjoyed "Corridors" - I think it's one of my best tracks, so I was proud to have it included here cool

The Ajanta Music track sounded good - having more vocal based songs is a nice progression from the first album.

I think the Glimmer Room, Paul Berry, Gigertek, Lethal Foam, Logan 5 and Sarah Bradshaw's tracks were among the best.

Ian, can we not twist Steve's arm to get this posted in Johns blog?
Though I'm guessing you probably asked already.

OP Offline
I can ask. I did post a few comments on the page to help spread the word. As it's not purely news about John Foxx the request my be declinded. Anne Clark added some details on her Facebook page and others artists have posted details (including the details on your quietcity site - traffic is still coming in from that link) which has all helped to boost the show.

Just had an email saying new blog posted.
Lo & behold its there. laugh

Cheers Steve & Futuredaze

Mega!

That's seriously cool - how nice to have endorsement from Steve and JF on this terrific project.

well done all

mongrel

eek laugh

Stunned to say the least!

OP Offline
It's fantastic Steve has included the show and CD information so quickly. I only sent through the details earlier this afternoon.

Foxx blog - Fantastic result.

CDs - should begin to appear on your doorsteps tomorrow.

Once again a BIG thank you to all involved.

Matt

Hi Matt,

My copy has just arrived. cool

Also came with a Toffeetones badge. cool
I'll wear that at Cargo.

Cheers Matt laugh

My copy of the album arrived today and it is stunning. I do have a track on it "Stranger In A Room" but the rest of the CD has some stunning tracks to. If you are contemplating buying this, contemplate no more it is well worth getting, superb sound quality and an impressive 4 page booklet which is very "John Foxx".

I will be posting a review of the CD on my myspace page in the next few days.

Top job done all round!

Gary
Gary Hunter Myspace Page

I have to totally agree with you Gary.It is totally stunning.

Just finished listening.

I love it all.

It deserves to sell much more than 100 copies.

Well done & thanks to everyone involved.

Oh and Alex your external sleeve design is very Gardenesque,love it.

Brian

L
L
My copy arrived this morning too-I am awestruck!
The whole package is just beautiful,inside and out,to the eye and to the ear.
Thank you to everyone involved in the radio cast and the CD-I am proud to be in such great company.
Logan 5

Mine arrived today - looks great!! It's a rewarding moment to see my artwork on a CD cover. Looking forward to playing it...

M
M
Mine also arrived today. laugh

Lovely artwork, Alex. The cover has a Claude Monet feel to me.

I haven't played the cd yet. I hope to do that on Monday, when I have time to listen all the way through.

What also arrived from Toffeetones today was,

TOFFEETRONIC - Loading Beats..

LOUIS GORDON - Blind Anorexic

I really liked what I heard by the above on the radio show, so had to buy something of theirs.

Good to see that Louis was involved with Matt's 'Loading Beats...' e.p.

My copy also arrived today. Alex it's fantastic to see your art work on a CD it has a very Foxxy Cathedral Oceans feel to it along with Garry's photo's on the inside reminding me of TCM.

Due to other commitments I haven't yet had time to absorb all the tracks on the CD.

Well done all round

Peter smile

smile smile

OP Offline
I think our postman was put off by the rain on Saturday but mine arrived today smile

Well worth the wait laugh

This project has been a huge success so my thanks once again to all the artists involved. Thanks to Alex and Garry for the imagary and Matt and his people for putting the fantastic CD together.

This "Foxxy" Robo Cast show has had the most downloads and hits since they were started in July 2007.

Paul Berry's track is absolutely amazing!!!

And Louis' track "Move Through Grey" is fantastic! Very Foxxesque.. but then again, it would be!

OP Offline
Anne Clark's Full Moon is one of my favourites, but then again all the tracks are fab in their own right.

This CD is absolutely brilliant!! I hope John has ben sent a copy!

I'm really enjoying your track "Oxygen"... although to my ears this is much more of a Jarre tribute that to our John. You've captured so many of the Oxygene 7-13 sounds in there and the atmosphere - it's simply stunning!!

The Anne Clarke track isn't particularly to my taste, but as the second track it really gets the album going.

I love Gary's "Stranger In A Room"... very Foxxy synths. I can hear a bit of early Depeche Mode in there too, which is always nice smile

OP Offline
Cheers Alex,

I think the Oxygen track is a mishmash of a lot of influences many are probably subliminal. Others have mentioned the John Foxx feel but some of my others tracks do have a definate Jarre influence.

I think the remastered has been done superbly. I know a lot of work had to be done on some of the tracks. Matt was keeping me posted as the remastering process was taking place.

I also think it's great some different tracks are appealing to different people. The diversity but also accessibility of the tracks makes for a great album.

Yeah - there is a wide range of varied influences clearly audiable on the CD, but I think John's shines through most significantly.

And it all strangely matches my cover art - which was a nice surprise; a cool blend of synthetic and organic.

I've played the CD twice already. I suspect it might reach melting point by the end of the day!

I might have to check out Paul Berry on iTunes.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.