Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#17017 04/16/08 12:47 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
After threads dedicated to other artists such as Gary Numan, Blancmange and, er, Zaine Griff thought it was about time we had one dedicated to the mighty Human League.
I was inspired by reading this about yet another "80s revival" tour .. aren't The Human League really worth more than this?
Your views please ladies and gentlemen..

#17018 04/16/08 12:52 PM
The League are worth much more than that! Sadly though, they've been playing those nostalgia package tours since the late 90s. I guess its a good earner for them.

But are they going to play greatest hits forever?

I work opposite the building their private studio is in - think we ought to formulate a plan to kidnap them, and lock them in with their synths and a tape recorder!!

#17019 04/16/08 01:49 PM
They should start thinking about doing more tours in their own right again. If artists like John and Numan dont like to get tied down to their own 'album gigs and nostalgia tours' too much, then the League should take note and stay away from these 'package tours'.

#17020 04/16/08 02:04 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I work opposite the building their private studio is in - think we ought to formulate a plan to kidnap them, and lock them in with their synths and a tape recorder!!
Holy cow! ..and do they actually go in there sometimes??

#17021 04/16/08 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Holy cow! ..and do they actually go in there sometimes??
Not as much as they should do these days.

#17022 04/16/08 04:00 PM
Quote:
[QUOTE]]Holy cow! ..and do they actually go in there sometimes??
In 8 years I've only ever seen Phil outside once! Though I have seen his car more than once... though that doesn't necessarily mean he's in the studio! He could be in the Red Lion or anywhere!

#17023 04/17/08 07:12 AM
I saw The Humming Leg a couple of times in 1980 when they were still a good band, just the three of them on stage with Adrian (?) doing the slide shows. That's when they used to do their awesome cover of Perfect Day. I never liked their stuff after Travelogue, really lost interest.

Fast forward to 2006 (I think) and me and my mate went to a Human League gig at Barrowlands in Glasgow. We walked out after the support act finished and the bouncers explained to us, with a look of concern on their faces, that we wouldn't be able to get back in if we left now. We just laughed and walked away to the nearest pub. Who was the support act? Some guys called John Foxx & Louis Gordon. And believe me, that's the only way you'd get me to a Humming Leg gig these days!

ΤΏΤ

#17024 04/17/08 08:17 AM
You have no idea how much I loved this band. But you just have to let some things go.

It was the 'Secrets' tour for me that was the final nail in the coffin. Superb album - a real return to form. So my heart sank when I saw them on the tour which was essentially the same set of songs they've been plundering for years now, with just one or two tracks from 'Secrets' thrown in and I suspect this was only done for legal reasons to avoid the trade descriptions act.

I want to see a pioneering synth band, performing new material, if I wanted to see a cabaret act with a Bontempi, I'll get the ferry to Dublin.

It's just not The Human League anymore. Only the name remains. frown

#17025 04/17/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
They should start thinking about doing more tours in their own right again. If artists like John and Numan dont like to get tied down to their own 'album gigs and nostalgia tours' too much, then the League should take note and stay away from these 'package tours'.
I've seen the Human League the last 5 years running and they do their own shows as well as these money spinning here and now things.

My last 2 reviews

The Human League

Newcastle Academy 10/12/06

4th Christmas in a row that I've seen the League and every time they are the model professionals pumping out in their own inevitable style exactly what the majority of the crowd want to hear. You can't fault them in that respect as the stage show was easily the best so far, the sound was fabulous and since Phil has got his ear piece in he doesn't ruin his voice early on in the tour any more leaving the rest to suffer his strained tones.

But

I must be honest now in IMHO it's all turned very predictable and over safe... where was the spark....the electricity...the excitement? It's now just a Christmas disco and badly needs an injection of new material. Come on they must be getting a tad bored doing the same stuff year in year out? I know Secrets wasn't the hit it deserved to be but it must be time now to head back to the studio and try something new or it will all just fade away.

Good one after which just goes to show how peoples perception is iffy as overheard 2 blokes talking about the size of the audience.

'How many here 3000....4000?'

'Nearer 3000 and at that they will be making £5k each. Not a bad nights work'

Well then let's take this apart. For a start The Academy hold's just under 2000 and there were 4 people in the balcony seats which holds around 400. I can tell you from experience of the place as I've been 10 times since it opened last year that it was not packed down stairs by any stretch of the imagination so that's probably only about 1000 to 1200 people in there and tickets were £20. So £20 to £24k max between 7 of them on stage not to mention the promoters, sound and light engineers and the road crew.

You work it out.

Human League

Sage Gateshead 11/12/07

It must be Christmas (Ho yes it is!) because as regular as panto the League are on tour again. It's the 5th year on the trot I've seen them and last year I did say that they were becoming stale and boring and needed new material....well has anything changed??????

Truthful answer is this year Yes and No?

On reading the notes in the programme they claim they had been considering doing there seminal album Dare in it's entirety but had decided against it. So why change their mind now?

I think the answer is cynical as this may sound is the success OMD and Gary Numan had last year doing the same with Architecture and Morality and Telekon all albums being from the same time frame. Difference is this when the others did it the re-arranged the songs to suit a live performance where the League played the album track by track and even tried keeping the breaks in between the songs as it was on the album. This to the purist would seem the thing to do but it didn't let the gig flow like it should have and had the effect of getting the slightly stuffy sage audience up and down like yoyo's when the songs went from the up beat dance pop stuff to the slower more serious stuff the album contains. I just got fed up and made my mind up to stand after the first 2 songs but others just persisted until the album part of the gig finished.

The stage show was the best so far by a mile and the League where as professional as ever and I really had a good night but it still needs freshening up. The sound was brilliant and it was a sell out which they have failed to do anywhere in the last 5 years (Not that it's been empty by any means). The problem is that they already play Darkness, Love Action, Sound of The Crowd, Things that Dreams Are Made Of, Open Your Heart and what's that other one .......Don't You Want Me which is the majority of Dare during a normal set and It ready summed up when they did there 'Greatest Hit's' section of the show and Phil introduced All I Ever Wanted as the latest song....2001 for Christ sake.

In Short

-ive's.... Diss-jointed song selection... Same material

+ive's.... Venue....Sell Out.... Good Stage Show....Great Fun!

All in all 6 out of 10.

#17026 04/17/08 08:15 PM
Yes they do their own shows Gary, but i just wish they would not do the nostalgia to such a degree. And going in that studio to make a new album could only help.
Unlike some artists who enjoy a bit of retro, they seem to be stuck in it. Its a shame, as their one of the greats in the field of synth music.

#17027 04/18/08 02:27 PM
Much as I loved the League, and probably still do in a way, it has been very sad to see them more or less become their own tribute band. I don't doubt for a second that there are harsh economic realities at play but to see them embarking on another of these package tours is particularly sad. A far better route is that taken by Messrs Foxx and Numan recently of briefly revisiting an old classic on their own terms but then moving on again. Would love to see Phil and Co back with a new album and a decent tour of their own.

#17028 04/19/08 08:34 PM
I must confess I lost interest after 'Sound Of The Crowd'. A friend made me a CDR of Dare and a couple of tracks struck me as OK. Much prefer the first two albums.

#17029 04/20/08 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harmonia Mundi:
Fast forward to 2006 (I think) and me and my mate went to a Human League gig at Barrowlands in Glasgow. We walked out after the support act finished and the bouncers explained to us, with a look of concern on their faces, that we wouldn't be able to get back in if we left now. We just laughed and walked away to the nearest pub. Who was the support act? Some guys called John Foxx & Louis Gordon.
Went to the bar after Foxx/Gordon at that gig to watch HL from there and belive me you didn't miss anything!!

Still,I've got Susans towel from that gig signed by the band!!

#17030 04/20/08 06:17 AM
We figured we wouldn't miss much. My mate had seen The League a couple of times in the nineties and said he wasn't impressed and I was happy enough to have seen them in 1980 when they were, IMHO, at the peak of their creative output. They got complacent after Don't You Want Me became a hit - they found a money making formula and stuck to it.

However, it was the first time I'd seen John live in the 26 years I had been listening to his music and to be honest, even if The Beatles and Elvis were the headline act, I would still have left after John & Louis' set!

ΤΏΤ

#17031 04/28/08 11:10 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Apparently they did another show in hometown last week...greatest hits blah blah .. .

#17032 04/28/08 11:17 AM
Yeah it was to open the new Sheffield Academy. I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear they did another greatest hits thing.

I guess Phil needs to start thinking about his pension!

#17033 05/13/08 07:51 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
For those interested:
STEEL CITY TOUR

PS anyone heard the new ABC album?

#17034 05/13/08 08:22 AM
Got my tickets for the Wolverhampton show.

#17035 05/13/08 08:45 AM
I'm normally very anti-retro tour packages, but this one, all being Sheffield bands does sound very good. Too bad they couldn't reform the cabs to join them!

#17036 05/13/08 09:08 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe THL n H17 will get together at last! ..Ladies and gentlemen give it up for..The Human Seventeen!

#17037 05/13/08 10:17 AM
10 years ago I would have sold organs to see this...so why am I so despairing of it now? confused

#17038 05/13/08 10:51 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Methinks we care too much about our organs now .. that said I also fail to be able to whip up any kind of enthusiasm, save a little for M Fry who at least has made a NEW ALBUM..UNLIKE SOME!!! (hint hint..)

#17039 05/13/08 10:53 AM
I
I
Quote:
For those interested:
[b]STEEL CITY TOUR

PS anyone heard the new ABC album? [/b]
I'm not one for ruining surprises , but a special encore appearance by Def Leppard is on the cards !!! laugh
You off to Moscow then my cider drinking Wurzel listening pal ?

#17040 05/13/08 11:07 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
NIET!.. ..rather watch it on telly anyway.

#17041 07/01/08 09:12 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Back OT here's a rather spiffing HL fansite which I'd forgotten about but which seems to have quite a lot of news and some quite good remixes etc 8it's all now 30 years old apparently)...
The Black Hit of Space

Steel City promo photo shot:

#17042 07/01/08 09:43 AM
What's going on with that hat?!

It really is the 'we need a pension' tour....

#17043 08/04/08 08:40 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
More pre-Steel City publicity in your soaraway Mirror (oh no sorry that's the Sun isn't it?).

Godfathers of 80\'s pop...

laugh

#17044 08/04/08 09:38 PM
Heaven 17 did a gig on the roof of the University where I work last week.

#17045 08/04/08 10:25 PM
They also had a double spread in this weeks Sunday Times Culture section.

Phil Oakey where's your hair gone! eek

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4429358.ece

#17046 08/04/08 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Phil Oakey where's your hair gone! eek
Don't you just miss the asymetrical haircut days?

#17047 08/05/08 08:29 AM
What's with all the finger-pointing? Do Fry and Gregory now do local second-hand car trade adverts on Calendar or something?

#17048 08/05/08 08:47 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
"This tour needs YOU!"
(er, and yer cash)

#17049 08/05/08 08:55 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
[b]Phil Oakey where's your hair gone! eek
Don't you just miss the asymetrical haircut days? [/b]
cf. the 'steel city' posing of yore..

The Human League

Vice Versa (soon-to-be ABC)

#17050 08/05/08 09:46 AM
Quote:
"This tour needs YOU!"
(er, and yer cash)
laugh and where's Marsh? Is it just Ware and Gregory now?

#17051 08/05/08 09:49 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] "This tour needs YOU!"
(er, and yer cash)
laugh and where's Marsh? Is it just Ware and Gregory now? [/b]
still twiddling his knobs?

#17052 08/05/08 01:42 PM
'Glenn reveals that H17 only finished paying off recording debts from 1983's lush album 'The Luxury Gap' as recently as 18 months ago'

eek

25 years to pay off a recording studio debt!? Were the fairlight's gold-plated or something?

http://www.heaven17.com/news.html

#17053 08/05/08 10:31 PM
Surely they sold more than a few copies of The Luxury Gap confused

#17054 08/05/08 10:36 PM
Quote:

Vice Versa (soon-to-be ABC)
Very stylish indeed!

#17055 08/06/08 09:28 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
..and they were angry ! ..

anyone heard Stilyagi / Eyes of christ?

#17056 08/07/08 09:36 AM
Quote:

No - would like to though! Along with '1980: The First 15 minutes'

#17057 08/07/08 09:43 AM
'The Golden Hour of The Future' gets the re-issue treatment - and details of a podcast featuring Martyn Ware discussing the recordings, here's the official PR blurb;

Way back in 2002, Richard X's label Black Melody secured the rights to release previously unheard gems recorded by The Future and Human League MK 1 prior to the release of 'Reproduction' in 1979.

A few thousand CDs were pressed and within a year, copies were ending up on Ebay for extortionate prices.

Black Melody now plans to re-release a remastered 'Golden Hour' for those who missed this blueprint of electro things to come.
Influential producer Richard X contacted us with a few more details...

'After much demand, there is a remastered edition of 'The Golden Hour Of The Future' due out on September 8th 2008 on Black Melody.
The album covers the early electronic recordings of the band pre-their international superstardom.
We've been back to the original 1977 (cassette) mastertapes and what with the advancement of audio restoration software, a little more quality has been squeezed out for your pleasure.
Its going to be available for the first time digitally online through all the usual outlets as well as CD.

There will be more news soon at http://www.myspace.com/thegoldenhourofthefuture. Sign up there for the mailing list, they'll be pre-ordering info shortly.'

An extended podcast with League founder Martyn Ware will be available via the Black Melody website soon in which the electronic innovator explains the ideas behind these early 'Golden Hour' gems

Links to podcast and the blurb here;

http://www.league-online.com/

I've no idea why they've gone to the extra expense of cleaning the tapes up as the hiss, noise and the whole DIY nature is a considerable part of the recordings charm.

Gazza

#17058 08/07/08 11:58 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
ok I'll see what I can rustle up!

#17059 08/07/08 01:40 PM
Quote:
Quote:
ok I'll see what I can rustle up!
Wo-hoo! laugh

#17060 08/07/08 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach

There will be more news soon at http://www.myspace.com/thegoldenhourofthefuture. Sign up there for the mailing list, they'll be pre-ordering info shortly.'
Thanks for this Garry. Excellent stuff. BTW You fell for the old 'full-stop-at-the-end-of-link' trick. Here is the link: -

http://www.myspace.com/thegoldenhourofthefuture

#17061 08/09/08 11:39 AM
Quote:

No. Do they sound like who they were soon to become?

#17062 08/25/08 11:03 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Nay, not a bit. They were still very experimental ΰ la Future / Human League Mk 1. Must get those tracks up somewhere for all to enjoy.

edit: maryann please pvt mail me. wink

#17063 09/08/08 10:31 AM
The 'How much is Art worth? debate could rage on; Dare is to be given away free this week in the Daily Mail. Another album also being given away is Heaven 17's The Luxury Gap.

Spandau Ballet's True was also given away free on Saturday. On a personal level, this means I did finally lose an argument I had 20+ years ago when I said that you couldn't give Spandau Ballet away. wink

#17064 09/08/08 10:50 AM
C
C
Well, I suppose thats all part of having become part of the status quo, any art aspect of it is quickly forgotten, and its accessibility is an ever open door, but the real danger is in the likelihood of being taken for granted, and then possibly becoming completely forgotten for whatever the original art was,
(this is not necessarily my opinion about any of the albums quoted! smile )

#17065 09/08/08 12:47 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Well they did the same with Tubular bells some months ago didn't they so I s'pose it was only a matter of time.
Is this a 'Virgin' thing BTW?

#17066 09/08/08 01:06 PM
There's a few Virgin albums in there but it looks like a joint effort between CBS and EMI. The Virgin albums are:

Culture Club - Colour By Numbers
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time
Human League - Dare
Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap

#17067 09/10/08 02:33 PM
Someone at work has kindly just given me today's offering: Adam And The Ants: Prince Charming. I'll give it a wirl tonight.

#17068 09/11/08 08:48 AM
Dare is the giveaway album today in the Daily Mail.

#17069 09/13/08 01:24 PM
Just pre-ordered a copy of 'The Golden Hour of The Future' from WH Smith laugh

According to the MySpace info, the CD is out on 22/09 (download already available on Play)

#17070 09/15/08 12:03 PM
Richard X talks about putting the forthcoming The Future/The Human League CD HERE;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/12/popandrock.electronicmusic

#17071 09/15/08 01:20 PM
This must be a reissue, as I bought it a few years ago. Great album!!

#17072 09/15/08 02:06 PM
Quote:
This must be a reissue, as I bought it a few years ago. Great album!!
Hi Alex,

Yes it is a re-issue with, apparently, better sound quality. As I've mentioned on this thread earlier though, I'll be sticking with my trusty 2002 edition.

#17073 09/15/08 02:44 PM
Yeah.. somehow the rough and raw quality brings something extra to the music. It really does sound like a dusty old tape that's just been unearthed!

...Blank clocks....

#17074 09/15/08 04:16 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
I see they're doing a digital release of the stuff that was only on 12" vinyl last time around, so hurrah for that. laugh

#17075 09/15/08 04:59 PM
Quote:
I see they're doing a digital release of the stuff that was only on 12" vinyl last time around, so hurrah for that. laugh

Is it worth getting though? Here's the tracklist;

1 Dance Like a Star V.1,
2 Dance Like a Star V.2,
3 Dance Like a Star V.1(Almost instrumental version),
4 Dance Like a Star V.2(instrumental),
5 Dance Like a Star (Incidental Music),
6 Titled U.N,
7 Treatment,
8 C'est Grave,
9 Last Man On Earth,
10 Martyn Ware interview

you really really need to like Dance Like A Star then!

#17076 09/15/08 05:08 PM
M
M
12" vinyl got longer version of 'Last Man On Earth' than CD. Haven't listen either very much. 'Blank Clocks' and 'Last Man On Earth' (and few others) are nice tracks though.

#17077 09/18/08 09:40 AM
Heaven 17s The Luxury Gap is the giveaway album today in the Daily Mail.

#17078 09/18/08 12:05 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
...is there no end to this?...
confused

#17079 09/18/08 01:42 PM
Quote:
...is there no end to this?...
confused
Yeah...the last one is Marillion tomorrow!
*boom* *tish!* I'll get my coat...

but seriously folks - what do the 'League or the '17 get out of it?

Most labels have a clause in arttists contracts that they can give away recordings for promotional purposes - so I'm not sure HL/H17 will earn anything from this.

Quite a sad state of affairs when you consider that Gregory recently said that they only paid the studio bill for The Luxury Gap only 18 months ago! (Yes, I know I've mentioned this before but I'm still shocked at that...it also makes me wonder if the League ever finished paying for Hysteria which took two years to record!)

#17080 09/18/08 02:15 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
..well perhaps that's why the 17 are givin' it away in the soaraway Sun or whatever it is...next time get your FREE copy of 'The Golden Hour of the Future' to pay off their reel-to-reel 4 track tape recorders or whatever..

"His Mum bought him a synthesizer,
Got the Human League in to pay for it.....not!"

#17081 09/18/08 03:18 PM
Connected, but slightly off topic...

I had a vinyl version of Reproduction by the Human League which had a curious addition. Before "Path of Least Resistance", which happens to be my favourite, someone says "Knit one, pearl one". I'm sure I wasn't dreaming each time I heard it (4-5 thousand times???), but it isn't on my later version, nor on my CD version. Anyone with ideas on why it was there?

#17082 09/18/08 05:04 PM
Not OT at all! This is where meet and discuss the pioneering synthesizer outfit The Human League and their future 21st Century tribute band, also conveniently called The Human League!

There's quite a few differences, some noted on the fantastic Human League Mk1 website Blind Youth http://www.blindyouth.co.uk/

The CD re-issues usefully add all the tracks from the first three Human League singles (not including I Don't Depend On You, which was released under the pseudonym of The Men). Note though that some of these tracks are not taken from the original master tapes, but have been transferred from the original records, and surface noise is occasionally audible.

Curiously, the CD version included small changes to two of the original album tracks - Almost Medieval and The Path Of Least Resistance. Also, the Fast Product version of Circus Of Death lacks the short sample of dialogue included at the end of the Being Boiled B-side.

One other small point - the extra track Being Boiled does not fade out, as on the original single release and the 1988 Greatest Hits compilation, but is presented in its entirety. It's possible that the master tape for this track no longer exists, at least in its original form, as synthesizer overdubs and new vocals were added to the track for one of the group's demo tapes, though hopefully this is not the case.

Note: initial copies of the 2003 remastered CD listed Circus Of Death as Circus Of Love (!). This was rectified on later copies.

Another difference that I noted on The Path of Least Resistance vinyl & CD ('88 issue) was the intro section: the vinyl version, the song comes in on the synth, whereas on the CD the song comes in on the kick drum.

#17083 09/19/08 07:44 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow .. Human League Mk 1 geeks in anoraks...love it!
Must swot up on Blind Youth site..was always an excellent source.

BTW is it at the beginning of 'The Word BEfore Last' that there's a voice - possibly Jim Callaghan - saying
"You'll notice that very appropriately I'm left-handed" .. ??

..always wanted to know that.

#17084 09/24/08 01:55 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
from THE GOLDEN HOUR OF THE FUTURE myspace

Quote:
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Album Ordering / EP Info

The albums official release date for the CD is 29th September, delayed slightly due to factory issues.

The digital sampler EP is now available on all good digital providers - PLEASE NOTE: for some reason Itunes have priced this at 7.99 when it should be a couple of quid (don't say we don't do anything for you!). It should be amended soon. 7Digital have it for £1.79

There will be an ebay shop to take orders for those that don't live near a record shop.

Vinyi EP Soon...

#17085 09/30/08 12:51 PM
The Golden Hour... re-issue now available;

The Golden Hour of The Future... EBay page

#17086 10/01/08 06:50 PM
Mine's on its way from WH Smith at £7.99 delivered. Thanks Garry for letting us all know about this release in the first place (I'd missed the news completely).

#17087 10/01/08 07:19 PM
Thanks for the news on this Garry. Ive heard the original and bootlegs from poor mp3s, so looking forward to this release.

#17088 10/02/08 09:03 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Speaking of mp3s I downloaded the mp3s of the 10 track sampler (previously only on vinyl) off 7Digital and the quality is really quite good all things considered.
They've really pumped up the bass (I believe that's how you say it)and opened it all up a bit (def not how you say it) on the various versions of Dance Like a Star although 4 versions of said track do tire a little. The first one is fairly definitive with the spoken intro, laughable off key falsetto and Oakey's 'hear the guitar!' cry(ooh the irony) although I suppose making 'disco / instrumental' versions of a song was fairly innovative at the time.
One day all music will be made this way.

#17089 10/02/08 09:05 AM
"There are no guitars"
("...or drums!!")

That bit always cracks me up.

#17090 10/02/08 09:33 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha! Ha! .. 'We're the Human League and we're much cleverer than you..!"
laugh

#17091 10/02/08 11:11 PM
T
T
Quote:
Quote:
[b] ...is there no end to this?...
confused
Yeah...the last one is Marillion tomorrow!
*boom* *tish!* I'll get my coat...

but seriously folks - what do the 'League or the '17 get out of it?

Most labels have a clause in arttists contracts that they can give away recordings for promotional purposes - so I'm not sure HL/H17 will earn anything from this.

[/b]
The promotion and the "unusual" audience (sorry, very stereotypical thing to say, very naughty) that might be tempted into the back catalogue - a few more royalties?

Not much else though.

#17092 10/02/08 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Thanks for the news on this Garry.
I am more interested in the pre-girls version of the Human League so this should be something to look into I guess.

#17093 11/26/08 11:06 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
'Dare' Daily Mail edition now available on e-bay for 99p *only*..

..don\'t all rush at once

#17094 11/26/08 11:10 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
On a slightly more serious note:

new digital edition of Fascination EP, with added track ..

UK 7 digital .. also available in euros in euro-countries..

#17095 11/26/08 12:00 PM
Quote:
On a slightly more serious note:

new digital edition of Fascination EP, with added track ..

UK 7 digital .. also available in euros in euro-countries..
If you've already got the original vinyl or the Original Remixes and Rarities CD which is cheaper and better value, this seems really unnecessary, so I'm curious as to why it's been re-issued in this manner. Very odd.

#17096 11/26/08 12:28 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Good point Rads ..

I see the girls were also interviewed on Radio 4 'Woman's Hour' last week ... 21/11/08

Not being a regular listener (ahem) I downloaded the podcast on itunes .....the girls' interview is about 10 mins in..after the bit about teenage pregnancy frown

#17097 11/26/08 12:44 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
...Dare also discussed by Radcliffe & Maconie last night on Radio 2 apparently but I haven't listed to this.

#17098 11/26/08 01:42 PM
Now look what you made me do laugh

Just ordered Original Remixes and Rarities (Human League) and Penthouse and Pavement (Heaven 17) from Amazon.

£6.96 delivered!

#17099 11/26/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
Now look what you made me do laugh

Just ordered Original Remixes and Rarities (Human League) and Penthouse and Pavement (Heaven 17) from Amazon.

£6.96 delivered!
80s Xmas Party at Mike G's then! laugh

Don't forget the Party 7!

#17100 11/26/08 02:12 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
]80s Xmas Party at Mike G's then! laugh

Don't forget the Party 7! [/QB]
Ok c'mon now everyone...
Put your hand in a party wave...
Pass around!

.. cool

#17101 11/26/08 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I am more interested in the pre-girls version of the Human League so this should be something to look into I guess.
Ive always liked The Human League, even with the girls in the group. I could never put my finger on it, but it never stopped me knowning why i liked them. eek

#17102 11/26/08 06:04 PM
The poppy sound perhaps? wink
I have tried but really don't like the with-girls HL.

#17103 11/27/08 01:26 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey boys and girls, for the 80s party I've found out how to get the perfect look!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelook/human_league.shtml

Sadly no mention of "..a hat with alignment worn inside" .. confused

#17104 11/27/08 02:57 PM
C
C
Quote:
I've found out how to get the perfect look!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelook/human_league.shtml
thanks for posting that laugh smile laugh

#17105 11/27/08 03:56 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

#17106 11/28/08 01:35 PM
Quote:
Not OT at all! This is where meet and discuss the pioneering synthesizer outfit The Human League and their future 21st Century tribute band, also conveniently called The Human League!

There's quite a few differences, some noted on the fantastic Human League Mk1 website Blind Youth http://www.blindyouth.co.uk/

The CD re-issues usefully add all the tracks from the first three Human League singles (not including I Don't Depend On You, which was released under the pseudonym of The Men). Note though that some of these tracks are not taken from the original master tapes, but have been transferred from the original records, and surface noise is occasionally audible.

Curiously, the CD version included small changes to two of the original album tracks - Almost Medieval and The Path Of Least Resistance. Also, the Fast Product version of Circus Of Death lacks the short sample of dialogue included at the end of the Being Boiled B-side.

One other small point - the extra track Being Boiled does not fade out, as on the original single release and the 1988 Greatest Hits compilation, but is presented in its entirety. It's possible that the master tape for this track no longer exists, at least in its original form, as synthesizer overdubs and new vocals were added to the track for one of the group's demo tapes, though hopefully this is not the case.

Note: initial copies of the 2003 remastered CD listed Circus Of Death as Circus Of Love (!). This was rectified on later copies.

Another difference that I noted on The Path of Least Resistance vinyl & CD ('88 issue) was the intro section: the vinyl version, the song comes in on the synth, whereas on the CD the song comes in on the kick drum.
Thank you for posting this Garry! I never heard about this CD and I love the early Human League. Will order a copy next!! smile

#17107 11/28/08 02:42 PM
Quote:
Nice pic here:

http://www.list.co.uk/article/14547-human-league-abc-and-heaven-17/
You are joking...aren't you!? Lordy - that's a terrible sight - a bunch of mid-life synth crisis still posing after all these years (and beers looking at some of them) - at least Ware isn't posing (he's gone for the 'Hi Mum! I'm on t'telly!' school of posing - good work fella!)

Dear ABC/H17/HL - Please stop! Just stop! Quite frankly you're scaring the children... wink

#17108 11/28/08 04:20 PM
Excellent articles Garry and Mr D.

#17109 11/28/08 04:39 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah Ok well I was being ironic .. .I think the only one who can really carry it off still is Phil cos he's so tall tall tall ... Gregory is soooo out of it!

PS where's I. Craig Marsh? Setting up the new 21st century beer guard? wink

#17110 12/01/08 09:09 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
more press here

this is nottingham

".....Duran were always a little bit rocky for me. I was really into Japan and John Foxx...."

and here
The Guardian

""I still hate rock music," says Oakey, defiantly..."

#17111 12/01/08 09:58 AM
Like the interviews D! Death to rock 'n roll! laugh
And yes Garry, they look like midlife-crisis poseurs. But what's the alternative? Sitting on a rug doing yoga? wink

#17112 12/01/08 08:15 PM
M
M
...or use robots?

#17113 12/01/08 10:31 PM
About time for a new album from the League. What was it, seven years since 'Secrets'. :rolleyes:

#17114 12/02/08 07:59 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
There is something in the pipeline apparently. It gets hinted at now and then by Oakey and associates. Don't get saving your record tokens just yet tho.

#17115 12/02/08 09:24 AM
Quote:
… where's I. Craig Marsh? Setting up the new 21st century beer guard? wink
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
And yes Garry, they look like midlife-crisis poseurs. But what's the alternative? Sitting on a rug doing yoga? wink
Ha!Ha!Ha! Beer guard – good one!

Craig Marsh hasn’t appeared in any of the photos – is he still in Heaven 17?

Yoga/Swimming/Running is de rigeur for the poseur – but I think Martyn Ware’s got the right attitude! laugh

#17116 12/03/08 10:58 PM
T
T
I find I have been playing The Human League an awful lot lately, from the classics Dare(!) and Travelogue to the great bits of Hysteria and the three good songs on Crash to even Phil's album with Giorgio Moroder. I must give Secrets another try.

#17117 12/04/08 08:17 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes you really must. It's amazingly already 7 years old but doesn't seem to age (which might be saying something about the state of pop music).

#17118 12/04/08 08:58 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Another article...
http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/news/11684_human_league_show_their_steel

..in which we learn Oakey now has a dog..

His irony still shines through:
“The cottage industry was always quite important to the Human League..."
“But I’m well known for claiming things. I also think I invented the steam engine and things like that.”

#17119 12/04/08 09:03 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
More here.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20081201_humanleague.shtml

interestingly:
Quote:
New Human League material

According to Susanne, a new album could be on the way.

She said: “Philip’s been writing in the studio with our drummer Rob so there’s tentatively a bit of stuff. I don’t know when or what will happen with it but there’s a good few tracks out there that I’ve got a CD of at home. It sounds good.”

But Joanne fears they will have to adapt to new methods when it comes to putting out their music: “I think we’re all keen to put out new music. Our only problem is that the way we have traditionally put out music is not available to us anymore so we don’t really actually know how we would get it out there.

#17120 12/18/08 03:03 PM
According to Wikipedia;

Marsh left himself out of the 'Sheffield Steel Tour' in 2008, leaving the other two members of Heaven 17 to perform alone, the first time they will have done so.

Ian is at present attending University studying Psychology.

#17121 02/23/09 06:10 PM
M
M

#17122 02/23/09 07:49 PM
From league-online: -

Quote:
The Human League have confirmed that they are making a suprise return to Australia to play live at the V Festival over four dates that kicks off in Sidney on March 28th.

The Australian dates include:

28.03.09 Centennial Park, Sydney
29.03.09 Avica Resort, Gold Coast
04.04.09 Showgrounds, Melbourne
05.04.09 Claremont Showgrounds, Perth

smile

#17123 07/08/09 02:15 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Still looking for that "must-have" Human League t-shirt / mug / keyfob / fleece (yes, fleece)... look no further my friends .. Human League official merchandise......!

#17124 08/01/09 09:28 AM
There is an interview with Joanne Catherall here (she even mentions some new music!):

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eve...09 06:50:48:267

Can't seem to get the hyperlink to work properly in my post (darn spaces near the end) confused

#17125 08/03/09 08:14 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Here\'s the link ..yes the lady has dropped a few hints recently ..

#17126 12/18/09 11:53 AM
Rumour has it the Human League signed a new record deal with Wall of Sound (90s Big Beat label) in the last few days and also performed a secret Recording Industry gig at Battersea Power Station to showcase forthcoming material.

If it's all true, and I hope it is - perhaps we've seen the back of the 80s-Cabaret League of the last few years and hopefully we'll get a brand new, forward looking HL...

...hopefully

#17127 12/18/09 01:41 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow cheers Beach! How exciting ..

#17128 12/18/09 01:44 PM
I hope that is true - it's about time!

#17129 12/18/09 02:09 PM
Yeah! I hope it's true too - Rφyksopp are on the same label (I think) and so was Les Rhythm Digital (does the music for the 'Transformers'-style car ads / Zoot Woman among other things), so a perfect home for them.

#17130 12/18/09 02:17 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Where did you read it BTW? or did someone whisper it in your shell-like somewhere around London-tahn?

#17131 12/18/09 02:28 PM
Quote:
Where did you read it BTW? or did someone whisper it in your shell-like somewhere around London-tahn?
A mate of mine reads Pop Justice:

http://www.popjustice.com/forum/index.php?topic=4680.msg793843

and the info turned up on there - then I had a dig around. Found some photos of the secret shindig here;

http://www.humanleagueforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1343&p=1

#17132 12/21/09 01:49 PM
Well, it's on league-online.com now, go it's got to be true!

#17133 12/21/09 02:31 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Right .. they're semi-official and seemingly 'in the know'! onder how long ver League will keep us waiting...

Quick check on 2010 albums : JF(& The Maths), Human League, OMD and ...Kraftwerk(?)
..2010 is the new 1981... wink

#17134 01/14/10 12:43 PM
More detailed information about the new record deal is now available here: -

http://www.league-online.com

#17135 04/16/10 12:52 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
The Human League Goes to Scandinavia (vulcanic ashcloud permitting..)

Forever Young 2010

..does not bode well for new album/material tho..does it?

#17136 04/16/10 01:06 PM
Quote:
The Human League Goes to Scandinavia (vulcanic ashcloud permitting..)

Forever Young 2010

..does not bode well for new album/material tho..does it?
The retro-calm with cheese before the perfect analogue storm...(I hope)

Nice picture - they look like a cross between Bucks Fizz and Baader Meinhof! laugh

#17137 06/07/10 05:47 PM
The Human League are touring later this year, which I guess will coincide with the release of their new album.

Just bagged a couple of tickets for the Wolverhampton show in December laugh

#17138 06/07/10 06:41 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, with them and OMD with new albums and tours it really is 1981 (or even 1980) all over again...

(Wonder if their respective albums will be up to Dare / Arch & Moral standards.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

#17139 06/07/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD
Wonder if their respective albums will be up to Dare / Arch & Moral standards
That would be a miracle - but we can hope.

#17140 09/02/10 08:23 AM
News via The Electricity Club

THE HUMAN LEAGUE
New Album Song Titles Revealed

News came today of THE HUMAN LEAGUE's first album in over nine years as it was being mastered at The Exchange in London by Mike Marsh.

Marsh's previous credits have included DEPECHE MODE and THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS but also THE HUMAN LEAGUE's last album Secrets in 2001.

The working titles of the album's songs which may be subject to change are:

Never Let Me Go
Night People
Sky
Got To Do
Egomaniac
Single Minded
Electric Shock
Get Together
Privilige
Breaking The Chains
Stars Start To Shine

It is believed that Night People is to be the first single. No release date has yet been confirmed by THE HUMAN LEAGUE's label Wall Of Sound Records for the so far untitled album but it will be out in time on to coincide with their forthcoming winter tour.

THE HUMAN LEAGUE 2010 tour dates include:

Norwich UEA (29th Nov), Halifax Victoria Theatre (30th Nov), Sheffield City Hall (1st Dec), Bristol Colston Hall (3rd Dec), Wolverhampton Civic Hall (4th Dec), St Albans Arena (5th Dec), Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall (6th Dec), Liverpool Philharmonic Hall (7th Dec), Stoke Victoria Hall (9th Dec), London Royal Festival Hall (10th Dec), Cambridge Corn Exchange (11th Dec), Gateshead Sage (13th Dec ), Edinburgh Picture House (14th Dec), Manchester Academy (15th Dec), Lincoln Engine Shed (17th Dec), Leicester De Montfort Hall (18th Dec)

#17141 09/02/10 08:26 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

1. Never Let Me Go
possible cover version????

#17142 09/02/10 09:41 AM
Quote:
News came today of THE HUMAN LEAGUE's first album in over nine years as it was being mastered at The Exchange in London by Mike Marsh.
Cool! Just hope Night People isn't a Classix Nouveaux cover! eek laugh

#17143 09/03/10 07:16 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
You gotta love Wikipedia ... and the sense of irony a Human League fan has to possess.

Decades

laugh confused laugh confused wink :rolleyes:

#17144 09/03/10 08:25 AM
Heh. When ever it comes out and on whatever format - it'll just be nice to have something new from THL!

#17145 09/03/10 11:46 AM
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
given the bands limited aging fanbase
I think I've just been insulted laugh

#17146 09/05/10 06:11 PM
Here's another link:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Human_League

Quote:
The ideology of the Human League was mostly derived from that of the New Order
laugh

#17147 09/12/10 02:17 PM
T
T
Quote:
You gotta love Wikipedia ... and the sense of irony a Human League fan has to possess.

Decades

laugh confused laugh confused wink :rolleyes:
This page has now been deleted. Read into that what you will.

#17148 09/13/10 09:01 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually it says "is being considered for deletion .." and "The truthfulness of this article or section has been questioned." ..

It kind of puts me off Wikipedia a bit in that it proves that anyone can write anything on there and it'll stay up for a bit even if it's totally made-up.
eek

#17149 09/13/10 11:21 AM
A bit of an update has now appeared on Electonically Yours. It confirms that some of the wiki information is wrong.

Quote:
The title of the 9th studio album from The Human League will be revealed later this week along with the name for the 2010 tour that will be the first to feature new material since 2001.

An advert promoting the new tour that includes the new album and tour title will shortly be released to the UK music press and will appear in the next editions of Uncut, Mojo and Q Magazine.

In keeping with League tradition, the new album title is a single word and is the shortest title since 'Crash' in 1986.

Previous online reports that stated a title of 'Decades' and a release date of 10/10/10 have turned out to be incorrect (a release date of October was never realistic and would have left very little time for promotion).

#17150 09/13/10 11:28 AM
Oh the joy of the internet and folk who think they know it all and can freely publish stuff!

#17151 09/13/10 11:52 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
In keeping with League tradition, the new album title is a single word and is the shortest title since 'Crash' in 1986.
OK the Metamatic 'name-that-album' competition starts here.

suggestions please...

laugh

#17152 09/13/10 11:53 AM
"Old"

#17153 09/13/10 01:31 PM
"Blackpool"

#17154 09/13/10 01:45 PM
Hmm, too long. How about "Butlins"?

#17155 09/13/10 01:48 PM
Quote:
Hmm, too long. How about "Butlins"?
hahahahahaha!

"Orville"

#17156 09/13/10 01:53 PM
C
C
Quote:
"Blackpool"
laugh I just came back from there last week!

can I suggest 'Stoneybridge'

(a fictional scottish town from the early '90's comedy series Absolutely, and for the album the League would all have to adopt nasal sounding voices and wear moustaches)

#17157 09/13/10 01:54 PM
Maybe they could pick up on the theme from 1995's underrated Octopus... how about...

Squid.

#17158 09/13/10 02:02 PM
C
C
how about Calamari

its a bit more up-market sounding.

#17159 09/13/10 02:05 PM
I'm going to say "Shark" as there's a possibility they may be jumping over one!

#17160 09/13/10 09:43 PM
T
T
Great suggestions! laugh

Being scientific about it for a moment, the shortest title since "Crash" means it needs to be at least 5 letters (otherwise they would have said "since Dare") and since "Secrets" is 7 letters it follows that the title can be no more than 6 letters.

How about "Leeds"?

#17161 09/14/10 06:33 AM
Hahaha - brilliant!

Too bad it isn't the shortest title to date, then they could have gone for "Hull".

#17162 09/20/10 08:46 AM
It has just been announced that the new Human League album will be called "Credo" and won't be out until 2010.

A single called "Night People" will be released before the tour in November with a further single release before the album is released.

All info is on EY website

EY Website

Can't say I am keen on the title of the album.

#17163 09/20/10 09:02 AM
It is a weird, rather un-Human League title. I preferred "Decades"!

It's the music that's important though...

#17164 09/20/10 09:05 AM
I quite liked the title "Decades", "Credo" does n't grab me at all but like you say it is what the music is like that is important

#17165 09/20/10 11:07 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
"Credo" is appropriate .. youve gotta keep believing a new Human League album is possible.

#17166 09/20/10 03:20 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
I like the idea of having a single well before the album.. and then a second or even third single with the album .like in the 'old days'... like "Dare".

Will there be another tour when the album comes outin 2011?? Who knows!
cool

#17167 09/20/10 03:22 PM
Maybe the Dec tour dates are to fund the album pressing!

#17168 09/20/10 03:29 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Maybe the Dec tour dates are to fund the album pressing!
good idea!
In the *very* olden days bands used to tour with new songs even before an album jsut to see how they were accepted by the masses .. although in this case the tracklist is apparently already decided so even if a track doesn't go down too well then tough . .it's on the album anyway!
..that's supposing they play new material on the tour of course..
confused

#17169 09/20/10 03:49 PM
They will be doing.

#17170 09/21/10 11:19 PM
T
T
Quote:
It is a weird, rather un-Human League title. I preferred "Decades"!

I preferred "Orville" and "Butlins"! If I ever have twin boys, I will be tempted ...

#17171 09/22/10 08:47 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I preferred "Orville" and "Butlins"! If I ever have twin boys, I will be tempted ...
You are too late Church Puddle!

The Orville and Butlins twins already exist, but they go under their stage name of Jedward wink

#17172 09/22/10 08:50 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
[b]I preferred "Orville" and "Butlins"! If I ever have twin boys, I will be tempted ...
You are too late Church Puddle!

The Orville and Butlins twins already exist, but they go under their stage name of Jedward wink [/b]
laugh

I wonder if they considered Orlins or Butward as a stage name?

#17173 09/22/10 09:27 PM
C
C
Quote:
I wonder if they considered Orlins or Butward as a stage name?

Butward!!!

that's made my day laugh

So much so that in celebration of 'Butward' I'm going to have to get out a DVD of a well known animated MTV show, and while pulling my t-shirt half-way over my head (and with apologies for my language to the forum moderator) I'm going to have to quote the immortal words of Beavis and Butt-Head and say... "He's got a hair stiffie!"

eek

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.