Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16979 08/07/08 10:58 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Designed by celebrated architect Sir George Gilbert Scott (St Pancras Station, Martyrs Memorial) St Denys Church in Southampton remains one of the largest unaltered internal spaces of its kind in the city. An iconic building in the local community, the church hosts a number of medieval artefacts and is undergoing a renaissance as it celebrates 140 years in September 2008.
An ongoing programme of restoration and maintenance means that the church is now open again after eight years of closure, and looking forward to developing a mixed use for worship, music, art, rehearsal and performance.

This development is marked with three public concerts in September

International Gospel singer Cynthia and her band Sound Advice on Saturday 6th.

Blues legend Bob Pearce and his band Blues Etc on Saturday 20th

A celebration of Gilbert & Sullivan by Southampton Operatic Society on Saturday 27th.

Very exciting. Making it up as I go along, but it seems to be coming together.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16980 08/12/08 10:47 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
And here's the latest.
It's exhausting sorting this lot out!

Thanks Rob for letting me go on about this here.
I promise not to make a habit of it, but appreciate your support wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16981 08/12/08 10:57 PM
T
T
Looks and sounds like my kind of place Birdsong. If John keeps tabs on this forum, as I expect he does, he must surely think it looks the part for a performance of Cathedral Oceans.

And by the way, I know our Mr Leigh is something of a living God, but I didn't know he had even been beatified yet! laugh

#16982 08/13/08 04:13 PM
Thanks Martin for sharing the pictures of St Denys church. The concerts that are lined up are just a bit too far away from me but should John do a CO concert there, I'll be there.

You and everyone involved must feel proud of what you've achieved in the restoration of such a nice church.

Peter

#16983 08/13/08 04:32 PM
I really enjoy visiting old churches wherever I am. Thanks for putting the photo up and continued success with your project.

#16984 08/16/08 07:23 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Hey hey - I feel I've made it.
I've been misquoted in the press and the church story has been 'spun' out of all recognition.

Oh, the terrible price of being naive... :rolleyes:

#16985 08/17/08 10:40 AM
Hi Martin,

Congratulatons on the project - having worked a bit in conservation, the time, money and patience of everyone you would have called on, I know would have taken you to get this together is a testament to the grand job you've done. Feel very pleased and smug with yourself for making it such a worthy cause (no pun intended).

On your brushes with the press, can you please confirm two things here before the past catches up with the Church:

(1) Have you ever knowingly worked as a hairdresser before this project made it big?

(2) Please disclose the number of boring old farts who have tried to, or have, hindered this project somewhere along the way. No names are needed at this stage...

smile

Take care Sir - speak soon.

All the best,

EG and LG
xx

#16986 08/17/08 02:14 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
laugh
You just made my day! cool
Excellent post Messrs Ekin and Ekin.

Thanking you much.

I have never knowing cut or styled anyone's hair. No, I lie. I have on more than one occasion been responsible for adjusting the 'hembends' in my daughters locks.

As for B.O.Fs - I'm am utterly convinced that no-one I have EVER met or had any dealing with whatsoever is worthy of such a high accolade :p

#16987 09/23/08 10:17 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
It's all systems go!

Our first concert was attended by 150 people and went much better than I had feared.
The second, last saturday, blew me away.

Worth every minute of the stress and panic to bring in over 200 people for a special night of blues with one of Southampton's local heroes.

Here's a shot of the interior before the band arrived...

and a couple of (rather too dark) photos of Bob Pearce in action
ŠAnn McGillvray

A musical and opera compilation this coming weekend and then that's it for a few months.

Unless wink ...

#16988 09/24/08 07:03 AM
Hey Martin . .great stuff and congratulations on the project.
Here's looking forward to a Cathedral Oceans 'happening' in some form or other..

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.