Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
I had the pleasure of seeing these at Lancaster Uni in 79/80 Truly awesome Happy but exhausted at the end

"Gonna tek ya to a restaurant that's got glass tables "
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNpaaPHENE&NR=1

Oddly mine was a Numan gig, 'Berserker' to be exact. I was feeling sick by about 3/4 of the show so moved to the back for some air. The place was only half full so by the time 'Cars' came on, it was like a mini disco at the back of the main crowd.

H Offline
New Order 29th October 2006 - Wolverhampton

Got stuck into the melee in front of the stage and was swept away.

H smile

Without a doubt, The Chemical Brothers.

My right leg danced, the first time I saw David Bowie

Administrator
Administrator
Like most of us I'm sure, I dance a lot less at gigs now than I did in "the old days".
I do however dance* much more at gigs than anyone else I know, which annoys the pants off most of the people I go to gigs with!

Recently, the Wedding Present at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth was a belter. Lots of elbows and uncouth jumping around..

The Cramps at Hammersmith Palais takes a lot of beating. Two occasions, both exhausting.

Otherwise, I'd have to say the Bhundu Boys were superb for dance-oriented gigs. Specially in a little club upstairs on the Cowley Road in Oxford, whose name temporarily escapes me

*I use the phrase in the most general 'moving about' sense!!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
I had the pleasure of seeing these at Lancaster Uni in 79/80 Truly awesome Happy but exhausted at the end

"Gonna tek ya to a restaurant that's got glass tables "
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNpaaPHENE&NR=1
Excellent memories evoked by this video.

'Ska" was the only real 'image' that I ever really got into at school etc, and we were really into the whole rude-boy scene for a couple of terms. Harrington jackets witht he white figure painted on the back, 'dancing' around the school in that way, exactly like dave w in the vid, as if we had our knees tied together.

Lots of fun.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
H
H
Pogues, UEA, early 1988. Cracking.

A toss up between King Adora in Lichfield or David Devant in Stoke, both in the late 90's. Both brilliant but both left me exhausted, sweating and unable to speak through singing/shouting along.

Just about every gig I go to. I hate sitting down it's just not right.

3 of the most frenzied gigs I've attented (Can't say I had enough room to dance but bounced at)

No3. Pulp Middlesbrough Town Hall just as Different Class hit the streets and before they went mega.

No2. The Smiths Middlesbrough Town Hall 1986. At there peak and the nearest thing to a riot I've ever been at....I came out with my shirt torn to shreads.

But at No1

OMD Liverpool Empire 1986. They were on the wane in the UK after spending just over a year touring the States but they came back to put on some of the best shows ever (in terms of playing as a unit). A full 6 piece by then and they used everyone to there full. They brought the house down that night and the whole venue bounced from the first to the last song. I've also never heard applause and cheering like it after every song and Andy responed by doing the most totally frenzied performance to Maid Of Orleans that I've ever witnessed, (he's mad normally but believe me he took it to a new level that night). I left the place shattered and drenched with sweat but my brother was so exhausted he was sick on the way out and he wasn't a fan he just went along for a night out....So yeah we 'danced' a bit.

H Offline
I never cease to be amazed at Andy's energy. The first time I saw OMD, Paul had gone (Sugar Tax 1991), but Andy gave a blistering performance at Symphony Hall. He was running all over the stage and was sweating buckets all over the front of the stage, where I was pressed against. He had to sit on a speaker box with a towel to mop himself down and get his breath back!

H smile

Of course there are obvious gigs that made my bumm shake. Like the invasion of George Clinton and the Funkadelic Allstars in Utrecht. But when I saw Kraftwerk at their Minimum-Maximum tour, I noticed it was the first concert I couldn't keep my body under control, not even for a few seconds! It had a strange kind of vibe which I couldn't resist ... Funky! cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz Vanhill:
No2. The Smiths Middlesbrough Town Hall 1986. At there peak and the nearest thing to a riot I've ever been at....I came out with my shirt torn to shreds.
That's normal for Middlesbrough. Anytime. Doesn't need to be a gig..

I just remembered one from way back when: A Flock of Seagulls. Telecommunication and I Ran, especially.

Always a Numan gig for dancing too. wink

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Always a Numan gig for dancing too. wink
Who would have thought Numan was good for dancing to? wink

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b] Always a Numan gig for dancing too. wink
Who would have thought Numan was good for dancing to? wink [/b]
It is, but only if you've been shot in the foot..

Big Country back when they were good (up to The Seer). Saw them a few times and they were brilliant live.The only band it seemed ok to put your arms around your mates and pogo to ,in a blokey-bonding type way.
Prolly the most dancy type band was JTQ at the Blackheath Concert halls.I threw a few shapes that evening.

M
M
That must be Visage II in Hippodrome 2005. The band (i.e. Steve Strange) didn't show up at all which meant "the gig" was Rusty Egan playing records. The playlist was the best I've ever heard in a club/disco. It must have been since we came all the way from Finland to hear it.

That would have been disastrous night but fortunately super-nice Mr Egan took us with him to see the London nightlife in places we wouldn't visit or even known otherwise. And with Rusty Egan in our "posse" we were also VIP cool .

Okay, I'll admit I'm cheating. Had my turn earlier, and there can only be one (best gig for dancing). shocked
But I want to support a dutch band that I went to at 'de Effenaar' at my hometown. The band is called New Cool Collective and their music is everything you could expect from it's name: they make Cool (jazzfunk that is) music, with a fresh New attitude (with world & dance influences) and they're a very tight Collective (they're freaking out as a unit).
If this appeals to you, you should go and check them out! at: www.newcoolcollective.com laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.