Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38
C
C
Lifes Too Short.

An elusive show for me, first read a review in the Metro prior to its airing - a comedy in a docusoap style written by Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais - I meant to record it, but failed, then forgot again, then by accident caught (a repeat I think) of episode 2, but strangely can't find the next show on the same day or time, wheres it gone?

Anyhow, I digress, it was a funny episode, Warwick Davis stars as a 'showbiz dwarf' and his personal life experience is the inspiration for the comedy, the invented plot supposedly about his career as a jobbing actor, this of course is a device for Merchant and Gervais to recreate the style of previous show Extras and explore cringe-making situations, which for Warwick are those that a vertically challenged man sometimes has to put up with from the rest of us. Johnny Depp starred as himself, researching for his part in yet another Tim Burton film in order to better understand what its like to be 'one of the little people'. Warwick also attended a Star Wars convention and was later duped into becoming an Ewok at a wedding and obliged to wear a tatty bear costume.

Anyone remember Warwick Davis from his most famous leading role? - Willow !!!

Yes, it went all sword and sorcery back in 1988 with a post-Star Wars career high for George Lucas after previous career high of Howard The Duck (supposedly one of the worst films made), I however enjoyed both those films!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-P03NGSP6Y

And Willow provides me with a convenient link to -

Game Of Thrones.

Presently having a re-run on Sky and I'm watching it again. Being a hard sci-fi fan I've never for a moment been a sorcery-fantasy fan, so when this show appeared during Sky Atlantic's launch earlier this year I'd no intention of tuning in, thought I'd hate it. But I was curious, and after a few episodes it turned out to be compulsive viewing due to its great characters, one of which is Tyrion Lannister the dwarf played by Peter Dinklage, I'd only seen him before in a short lived sci-fi show called Threshold, here he is superb in his role of the crafty (but mostly good) smartest member of the corrupt Lannister clan.

I'd expected Game Of Thrones to be predictably dungeons and dragons with over-used CGI making up for banality, but it is entirely the opposite (and its so not the Beebs laughable 'Merlin' either), there's a few unwieldly words bandied about and some instances of genre sexism - balanced out by the many strong female leads - however, its a real character-driven drama played like a 'colourful' historical-style event, with lots of devious goings-on, I was surprised to learn it was based on a series of books, which explains the depth of its construction. A large British cast take part in the action, filmed in a beautifully cinematic style convincing in its visual world, on the surface there's a complex story involving various families/nations in a power struggle, but meanwhile a long endless winter is rapidly approaching bringing with it the threat of an ancient dark and sinister force. Its a credit to the plot of the show that nothing blatantly 'fantastic' needed to emerge onscreen until the end of the last episode, and it was only then that I remembered that I was supposed to be watching a fantasy. I can't wait for season two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwMZIyNaPsA

C
C
playing this clip from classic movie Network, curiously a film I've never ever got a chance to watch, don't seem to come round much on TV, wonder why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

Actually, I'm not mad as hell right now, just apprehensively busy hoping to become mellow about the prospect of going to a gig tonight, the long journey home afterwards will make me mad as hell though smile

I
I
"THE FLYING SCOTSMAN Great film about everybody's third * favourite Scotsman and Cycling legend Graeme Obree

*in a TV Times survey Core Memory and Sean Canary took the Gold and Silver Medal positions on the podium !

Administrator
Administrator

The brand new animation by Kate Bush

Eider Falls At Lake Tahoe

http://www.katebush.com/

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Depeche Mode: 101 Documentary

This has been sat on my hard drive for a while since recording it off BBC Four. Oh those eighties hair cuts shocked

Administrator
Administrator

Punk Britannia

First part last night, documenting the background and cultural circumstances that spawned The Clash, The Damned and The Pistols.

I thought this was really well put together and very watchable, with interviews and some excellent archive footage from the Hope And Anchor, early Kilburns etc

It's the same environment of course that Ultravox! came out of - several references to the places they played their early gigs, footage of the 101'ers, Regents Park squats etc. Excellent contextual stuff

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Court Jester - Danny Kaye

'larious.

C
C
The Big Bang Theory

Brand New series Six starts tonight E4, 8pm

A TV comedy show that dipped under my radar since it started in 2007/8 - No wait, that's not quite true, truth is I'd studiously avoided watching any of it back then - as (a) I hate E4, and (b) I thought it was probably just an Americanised reworking of CH4's 'The IT Crowd' - But No! You damn fool, No!!! And for years I missed out on one of the most addictive US comedy shows of all time. In its finely observed characterisation its up there with classic shows such as Frasier, Sienfeld, Roseanne, Soap, and The Odd Couple, and has one of the most fantasticly acted character's ever in Jim Parsons portrayal of physics genius and socially inept obsessive compulsive supergeek 'Sheldon Cooper' - he who has had a restraining order taken out on him by Leonard Nimoy, Carl Sagan, and Stan Lee.

After watching five minutes of the show back in August I decided to record it and thanks to E4's endless endless repeat schedule I watched four episodes a night for week after week and caught up on several years of the shows lifetime, yep, for me it really is obsessively compulsive, and as a bonus you don't necessarily have to be a socially inept geek to love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc

Originally Posted By: core memory
The Big Bang Theory

Brand New series Six starts tonight E4, 8pm

A TV comedy show that dipped under my radar since it started in 2007/8 - No wait, that's not quite true, truth is I'd studiously avoided watching any of it back then - as (a) I hate E4, and (b) I thought it was probably just an Americanised reworking of CH4's 'The IT Crowd' - But No! You damn fool, No!!! And for years I missed out on one of the most addictive US comedy shows of all time. In its finely observed characterisation its up there with classic shows such as Frasier, Sienfeld, Roseanne, Soap, and The Odd Couple, and has one of the most fantasticly acted character's ever in Jim Parsons portrayal of physics genius and socially inept obsessive compulsive supergeek 'Sheldon Cooper' - he who has had a restraining order taken out on him by Leonard Nimoy, Carl Sagan, and Stan Lee.

After watching five minutes of the show back in August I decided to record it and thanks to E4's endless endless repeat schedule I watched four episodes a night for week after week and caught up on several years of the shows lifetime, yep, for me it really is obsessively compulsive, and as a bonus you don't necessarily have to be a socially inept geek to love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc

I'm into Big Bang as well.I concur.Love it.

Brian

C
C
Originally Posted By: Brian
I'm into Big Bang as well.I concur.Love it.

Brian

Hi Brian

Bazinga!

Its one of those rare shows that has me laughing out loud, I can watch each episode over again and the humour still gets me like its the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSGsHT1vLo

Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.