Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
#16203 03/18/08 04:55 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I have been a Numan fan since the beginning and I don't recall even being aware of the term 'numanoid'. However, I will admit to saying stuff like 'Numan is god' (much to the chagrin of the Clapton fans who were convinced he was god)
It was the letters that were 2ft high and 1ft wide that had been sprayed in blue across a railway bridge on the way to church that started it all for me when I was a kid.

And the letters said;

'THERE IS NO GOD SO PRAY TO GARY NUMAN' laugh

I believe they were put there by someone who called himself 'ALAN THE NUMANOID' - Must of been 1980 as the 'A' were Pleasure Principle triangles and the 'L' was the telekon strips.

God love you Alan, wherever you are smile

#16204 03/18/08 05:33 PM
laugh Yup! Afe gets a bad name but it's more urban legend than anything else.
Don't mind talking about Numan here,I talk about Foxx/Gordon Associates Pete Wylie on Afe smile

#16205 03/18/08 06:29 PM
I
I
I must be the only Foxxhead in the whole wide world who doesn't dig this Numan cat!
I hereby declare myself the forum's Patrick McGoohan ! smile

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUz88-xoqY

#16206 03/18/08 08:35 PM
Administrator
Administrator
No Ivan, you're not alone.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a 'fan' either. Like a lot of people at the time I really enjoyed Numan's first four albums (TA/R/TPP and Telekon) and they all still rank very highly.
But after that ('Dance' etc...) I lost interest and there were other people doing more exciting things.
Didn't really raise an eyebrow until I was given a copy of Pure in 2005. I like that, and Exile too which I discovered post-Jagged.

I have a lot of respect for Numan's music and recognise its significance in the grand scheme of things, but it just doesn't inspire me like others do.

Luckily, he doesn't give a fig what I think.
Quite right too. cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#16207 03/18/08 11:06 PM
Okay, who likes Metal Rhythm? Warriors? Anyone?

#16208 03/19/08 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
... Like a lot of people at the time I really enjoyed Numan's first four albums (TA/R/TPP and Telekon) and they all still rank very highly.But after that ('Dance' etc...) I lost interest and there were other people doing more exciting things...
Too true..incredible how many people fit into that category.
I suppose being a "fan" just meant buying the records, listening to them religiously, putting up the posters in your bedroom, dressing like him* (ehem) and for the lucky ones living in big cities going to the gigs. Life was so much simpler then....

*P Oakey once claimed that when he met 'the girls' at the Crazy Daisy they were 'dressed as Gary Numan'. wink

#16209 03/19/08 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
I must be the only Foxxhead in the whole wide world who doesn't dig this Numan cat!
well yeah, but looking at that clip it seems that there in your car you feel safest of all, you can lock all your doors...
:p

#16210 03/19/08 08:33 AM
I
I
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b] I must be the only Foxxhead in the whole wide world who doesn't dig this Numan cat!
well yeah, but looking at that clip it seems that there in your car you feel safest of all, you can lock all your doors...
:p [/b]
Maybe I should have put this clip up instead Membs "I'm a man , not a number or a numanoid ! I can think for myself"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs&feature=related
I remember I put a tongue in cheekpost on here about Gaz which was removed I too remember being blown away by "Leccy Friends" Got the first album on cassette (praying to the Aliens etc) but soon grew weary of it I went thru a similar thing with Oasis
Best high the Numanoid gives me now is having a bop to "Cars" along Rod Stewart's Maggie May at a wedding or some such Still I guess it's me that's missing out. I'm afraid I'm like that little lad in the Hans Christian Anderson story when it comes to Gary . Apologies in advance to my fellow Foxxhead Numanoids
Seriously tho , boss music by John Barry You can see where Portishead were coming from (and I don't mean County Avon) I bet even Den was influenced by the great man

#16211 03/19/08 08:57 AM
I
I
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
No Ivan, you're not alone.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a 'fan' either. Like a lot of people at the time I really enjoyed Numan's first four albums (TA/R/TPP and Telekon) and they all still rank very highly.
But after that ('Dance' etc...) I lost interest and there were other people doing more exciting things.
Didn't really raise an eyebrow until I was given a copy of Pure in 2005. I like that, and Exile too which I discovered post-Jagged.

I have a lot of respect for Numan's music and recognise its significance in the grand scheme of things, but it just doesn't inspire me like others do.

Luckily, he doesn't give a fig what I think.
Quite right too. cool
Good shout Martin Shall we start a " Genius of Carter USM" thread ?

#16212 03/19/08 09:06 AM
Quote:
Maybe I should have put this clip up instead Membs "I'm a man , not a number or a numanoid ! I can think for myself" **

**..is that in "Now I'm alone and I can think for myself" ha! Tubeway Army cross reference spotted! Nice one.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.