Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
#1599 01/14/11 01:37 PM
Liking what I hear. Is this the follow up album to Metamatic? (i.e, in the way I feel that 'The Garden' is the follow up to 'Systems of Romance')

Bring it on, and may I be blessed with ability to be in UK in April!!!

#1600 01/14/11 01:56 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Evergreen preview on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQdEW-18QQ
thanks for posting MemberD.

I totally love Evergreen.

Its gonna be in my head all day now.

The rhythm and the singing are gloriously in the style of Annexe and This Jungle

Cheers John for taking us into that leafy sunlit lane once again.

Roll on the springtime smile

#1601 01/14/11 02:14 PM
I've always viewed The Pleasures of Electricity and the closest follow-up to Metamatic (not that it warrants one!).

I'd say Interplay isn't the follow-up to anything but a stand alone album in it's own right at the start of a new direction and collaboration, maybe.

#1602 01/14/11 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I love the Artwork. OK it does remind me of the old ATV logo though.

Also the logo reminds me of some socks that I
Spot on!!

#1603 01/14/11 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Liking what I hear. Is this the follow up album to Metamatic? (i.e, in the way I feel that 'The Garden' is the follow up to 'Systems of Romance')

Bring it on, and may I be blessed with ability to be in UK in April!!!
The Bassline on Evergreen is very like Underpass so that did kind of occur to me as well.

Roll on Feb & April laugh

#1604 01/14/11 02:40 PM
F
F
Pre-ordered the album and got my hands on Evergreen as well.
Really like it a lot too!
The only real downside for me is the end of the song, the sudden end doesnt do it for me really.
Nevertheless another fine addition to the already heard tracks of Interplay cool

#1605 01/14/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I've always viewed The Pleasures of Electricity and the closest follow-up to Metamatic (not that it warrants one!).

I'd say Interplay isn't the follow-up to anything but a stand alone album in it's own right at the start of a new direction and collaboration, maybe.
Ok. Spritual successor?

I think there are style links connecting certain threads of JF's style - I find them very interesting, and very compelling!

#1606 01/14/11 05:23 PM
C
C
I'm still enjoying the preview.

Stick a lovely echoey guitar or two on Evergreen and it could easily have been a single released post-Metamatic and pre-The Garden era in the same way the Miles Away single was.

Having said that though, I don't think there's anything remotely 'retro' about Evergreen and it's more forward-looking rather than a nod back to any previous work.
A confident slice of 'pop' synth with no froth to it at all.

Its melodic pulse should make me think that it owes something to the beatlesque or kraftwerkian influence that Johns previously looked to in his work, but to his credit its not coming through. Its altogether a different flow to the Foxx/Louis electro, and although its not overly-textured it has a fuller sound to some of the more basic layout or harsh synth of earlier Foxx and Gordon works (although the remastered albums of that era eventually gave a richer impression).

I like this shift that's taken place, its not too subtle and its not too obvious either.

Having heard some of the Interplay tracks at the Roundhouse gig, one impression that I was left with back then was that the album was not going to feel consistent, the tracks seemed quite varied in style. I'm wondering now if they will have been tweaked slightly to travel a little more in the same direction, and if the 'key' that Evergreen resides in is a good indicator of what we might expect of the final sound in the forthcoming album.

#1607 01/14/11 05:47 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
[b] It would be helpful to see an image of the t-shirt. Is the "Maths keyboard motif" different to the colourful hearty thing on the album cover?
I believe that this...

... is the T-Shirt being referred to.

It can be found here on the Townsend Records site.

Rob [/b]
That's a cool enough t-shirt, but I would really like one with the Interplay design on.

Please? Pretty please? smile

#1608 01/14/11 07:03 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Is that the best image there is???

I'd like to see the artwork/image 'in big' (as my kids would say).

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.