Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#15192 01/22/08 10:13 AM
OP Offline
At last! Wo-hoo! My fave OMD album finally gets its place in the sun... laugh

From the OMD website;

The remastered version of Dazzle Ships is scheduled for release on 3rd March 2008. As previously reported, the CD will feature bonus tracks along with sleeve notes and additional information along with new sleeve art which recreates the original 1983 vinyl sleeve.

Amongst the bonus tracks are a 1981 version of Telegraph (recorded during the Architecture And Morality sessions), the full-length version of 66 And Fading and Swiss Radio International which was dropped from the original album release.

"Dazzle Ships is a strange LP" recalls Andy McCluskey "because obviously it was possibly the lowest selling album that we ever released and yet I am inordinately proud of it. Maybe we did something that was commercial suicide, but we did that album for the right reasons. It has a painful beauty".

#15193 01/22/08 11:14 AM
Hi Garry
Thank you for your review about Dazzle Ships. I heard it when it was first released and I hated it and never listened to it again. . IMHO it was the poorest album ever by OMD. I no longer own it but 20 years down the line I wonder if it's worth another listen?

Peter :rolleyes:

#15194 01/22/08 11:39 AM
OP Offline
Hi Peter,

I can totally understand why it wasn’t an immediate hit with a lot of people – even McCluskey calls it ‘Commercial Suicide’

For what it’s worth – for me, it was just an amazing album and a very adventurous one. At the time of its release (’83) many bands had got themselves Fairlight CMIs or Emulator’s and not really done much with them, except create a very slick sound with songs about Rio/Club Tropicana/and Gold.

And then along came Andy and Paul with their short-wave radios, bits of old 2-track tape, B-Sides, Mellotron, ‘Dark Star’ video and Speak ‘N’ Spell machine. And songs/noises/random collages about Telegraphs/Radio Waves/Genetic Engineering/and girls who have had their hands cut off at the wrist.

It’s not important, but it’s great to know that the bass note on the title track is just a sample of McCluskey saying ‘Blue’.

#15195 01/22/08 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
It’s not important, but it’s great to know that the bass note on the title track is just a sample of McCluskey saying ‘Blue’.
Often wondered what it was.

It is one of those albums that takes a bit of getting used to. The comparison at the time, if I recall, was to "Radioactivity" from Kraftwerk and this is not unreasonable. However, "Dazzle Ships" is well worth the effort as underneath the slightly odd noises are some very good songs - just give it a few listens. laugh

#15196 01/22/08 03:45 PM
M
M
About bloody time too!!! My favourite OMD album. Love everything about it. Yes it's OMD's Radioactivity & that's why I love it so much. To hear the full length '66 & Fading' on cd at last just leaves me excited like a rabbit on hea... No I won't go there, calm down Mr. I.

OK I think I'm going to enjoy this release.

"Music for your tape recorder."

#15197 01/22/08 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Yes it's OMD's Radioactivity & that's why I love it so much.
Uh-oh. I am probably one of the few people here (if not the only one) who is not a big OMD fan.
I have almost all their cds and I do give them a listen from time to time but I don't know, I just don't hear what the rest of you all hear.

I do like Kraftwerk's Radioactivity so perhaps it is time to dig out Dazzle Ships and give it a try again.

#15198 01/22/08 04:34 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
About bloody time too!!! My favourite OMD album. Love everything about it. Yes it's OMD's Radioactivity & that's why I love it so much. To hear the full length '66 & Fading' on cd at last just leaves me excited like a rabbit on hea... No I won't go there, calm down Mr. I.

OK I think I'm going to enjoy this release.

"Music for your tape recorder."
Yeah! 66 and Fading! Looking forward to that and the unreleased stuff!

"This is Helena/This is Helena"
ba-ba-ba! b-b-b-ba! ba! laugh

Ilektrik - will PM you later tonight

#15199 01/22/08 04:53 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
[b] Yes it's OMD's Radioactivity & that's why I love it so much.
Uh-oh. I am probably one of the few people here (if not the only one) who is not a big OMD fan.
I have almost all their cds and I do give them a listen from time to time but I don't know, I just don't hear what the rest of you all hear.

[/b]
“Music for your tape recorder” An OMD Playlist for maryann smile

1. Electricity
2. Almost
3. Messerschmitt Twins
4. Messages
5. Julia's Song
6. Enola Gay
7. 2nd Thought
8. Statues
9. More I See You
10. She's Leaving
11. Souvenir
12. Joan Of Arc
13. Joan Of Arc (Maid Of Orleans)
14. Telegraph
15. Radio Waves
16. Silent Running
17. Of All The Things We've Made

1-5 OMD
6-9 Organisation
10-13 Architecture & Morality
14-17 Dazzle Ships

#15200 01/22/08 05:25 PM
M
M
[/QUOTE]“Music for your tape recorder” An OMD Playlist for maryann smile

1. Electricity
2. Almost
3. Messerschmitt Twins
4. Messages
5. Julia's Song
6. Enola Gay
7. 2nd Thought
8. Statues
9. More I See You
10. She's Leaving
11. Souvenir
12. Joan Of Arc
13. Joan Of Arc (Maid Of Orleans)
14. Telegraph
15. Radio Waves
16. Silent Running
17. Of All The Things We've Made

1-5 OMD
6-9 Organisation
10-13 Architecture & Morality
14-17 Dazzle Ships [/QB][/QUOTE]

You forgot 'Navigation', Garry. smile

#15201 01/23/08 12:23 AM
Thanks Garry.
Will listen to those tracks and let you all know.
I am a bit curious as to how and why you chose those tracks though.

Stay tuned as I try again to 'get' OMD. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.