Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b]
I've yet to actually pick this up. Any immediate thoughts on it?
I'm only up to the third Chapter "Here he Comes" when Eno first 'touched down' in London.
Its a good read, very well crafted and with the authoritative air of a well-researched labour of love.
At times I wonder if Sheppard is a little verbose, but that's a minor point. He's been around Eno for many years and cites a lot of his own interviews with him.

Not hard to find - I walked into Waterstone's and picked one up off the shelf. It's also a superb looking book - one of those things that's nice to hold. I rarely read hardbacks, and even more rarely do I actually purchase one (Tainted Life being the last).

It smells good, and is a whole idiosyncratic 'experience'.

£20 very well worth investing.

The opening sentence is brilliant. Engaging from the start... wink [/b]
Many thanks Martin! smile I plan to pick it up and take it on holiday, and read it...

...On some faraway beach wink

Picked up " The Confederation Handbook " in a charry the other week, for a quid. It's a guide to the Universe of " The Night\'s Dawn ", by Peter Hamilton. Not essential, but good background.

The Kraftwerk story named "Neonlicht" (Neonlights).

T
T
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
I've yet to actually pick this up. Any immediate thoughts on it?
I'm only up to the third Chapter "Here he Comes" when Eno first 'touched down' in London.
Its a good read, very well crafted and with the authoritative air of a well-researched labour of love.
At times I wonder if Sheppard is a little verbose, but that's a minor point. He's been around Eno for many years and cites a lot of his own interviews with him.

Not hard to find - I walked into Waterstone's and picked one up off the shelf. It's also a superb looking book - one of those things that's nice to hold. I rarely read hardbacks, and even more rarely do I actually purchase one (Tainted Life being the last).

It smells good, and is a whole idiosyncratic 'experience'.

£20 very well worth investing.

The opening sentence is brilliant. Engaging from the start... wink [/b]
Many thanks Martin! smile I plan to pick it up and take it on holiday, and read it...

...On some faraway beach wink [/b]
I have spent a weekend dipping in and out of this book, quantum leaping from album to album and year to year. I am soon to try to listen to "Another Green World" again - for some reason it never clicked with me first time. Perhaps I was into my "no vocals" phase. I know the gorgeous title track of course.

Douglas Adams' Meaning of Liff.

Everybody should have a copy!

Administrator
Administrator
I'm REALLY enjoying this book. Somehow the flowery language is just right for it (even if you need a dictionary to understand some of Sheppard's phrasing!)

Lots of references to infuential 'others', and the whole FBWL project makes more sense now. It was germinating ten years before it took off.
I hadn't realised how established/celebrated/notorious Eno was at the time of his dabblings in the studio with Ultravox!, or how his experience with Roxy Music was really very short and incidental to all the other things he was involved with.

It seems that Foxx and Eno NOT working together has been rather against the odds - hard to believe it hasn't happened given their parallel careers

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Douglas Adams' Meaning of Liff.

Everybody should have a copy!
Crumbs - I haven't read that for ages - must dig it out... laugh

At the moment I'm reading (actually re-reading) Swimming to Cambodia by Spalding Gray.

Looking forward to reading the Brian Eno biography when it arrives.

Rob

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Looking forward to reading the Brian Eno biography when it arrives.

Rob
You won't be able to put it down, Rob.

C
C
For the third time Tom Doyle's biography on Billy MacKenzie . Reading this makes you want to meet the guy. Unfortunately, as we all know he sadly took his life. A lot of his fans probably felt if only "I could have been there to talk to him".

Years on the Associates and his solo recordings remain as entertaining as ever. His voice timeless.

The book is as entertaining as can be and the words that come out of your mouth are, "He truly was a maverick"

Now on to Eno's new biography On Some Far Away Beach.

Chris wink

maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
Just started Running Dog by Don DeLillo

Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.