Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
The Complete Cathedral Oceans is a special four disc box set which contains all three albums in the Cathedral Oceans series (Cathedral Oceans [1997], Cathedral Oceans II [2003] and Cathedral Oceans III [2005]), together with a DVD of the associated art installation of the same name.

This DVD shows Cathedral Oceans images almost imperceptibly morphing from one to the next, accompanied by a 5.1 surround sound mix of Cathedral Oceans III. The accompanying hardback book contains dozens of these beautiful images along with passages from The Quiet Man .

The full track-listing is as follows...

Disc 01 : Cathedral Oceans...
01. Cathedral Oceans
02. City as Memory
03. Through Summer Rooms
04. Geometry and Coincidence
05. If Only...
06. Shifting Perspective
07. Floating Islands
08. Infinite in All Directions
09. Avenham Collonade
10. Sunset Rising
11. Invisible Architecture

Disc 02 : Cathedral Oceans II...
01. Revolving Birdsong
02. Shimmer Symmetry
03. Far and Wide 2
04. Ad Infinitum
05. Quiet Splendour
06. Luminous and Gone
07. Stillness and Wonder
08. Return to a Place of Remembered Beauty
09. Visible and Invisible
10. Golden Green

Disc 03 : Cathedral Oceans III...
01. Oceanic
02. Through Gardens Overgrown
03. Spiral Overture
04. The Shadow of a Woman's Hand
05. Radial Harmonics
06. Serene Velocity
07. Fog Structures
08. Eternity Sunrise
09. Harmonia Mundi
10. City of Endless Stairways
11. In Rising Light
12. Metanym

Disc 04 : Cathedral Oceans DVD...
Cathedral Oceans imagery set to a 5.1 surround sound mix of Cathedral Oceans III.

Label : Demon / Edsel Records
Catalogue Number : Edsel EDSJ 9001
Release Date : 25th of October, 2010
Click here to pre-order your copy.

Rob

C
C
At long last smile

Looking forward to getting it, and may save enjoying it for the winter months ahead.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
The accompanying hardback book contains dozens of these beautiful images along with passages from The Quiet Man .
THAT'S what we want!

Hurrah for this release laugh

- and it's white too
Looks absolutely beautiful cool laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
very nice, very tempting.
smile

The Complete Cathedral Oceans (3xCD + DVD)

Looks absolutely stunning ....

The Complete Cathedral Oceans ?

Well.... erm.... no it isn't.

For it to be complete we would need the Original Cathedral Oceans DVD to be included.

Still a lovely package, that I will buy, but just slightly disappointed it's not really complete.

Tempting price too. Rob, do the CDs fit inside the book, and that makes up the packaging?

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:

For it to be complete we would need the Original Cathedral Oceans DVD to be included.
A reasonable point perhaps, but look on the bright side. We've got another rarity in the catalogue now. wink
I'll give it a spin this evening - haven't watched the original since the upgrade was installed.

I agree with Alex - great price for a stunning work of art

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Yes it's astoundingly good value for money - I would have expected to pay at least that for the book on its own (had it been released on its own, obviously!)

Looks like a quality piece of printing too, at least from the photo.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
do the CDs fit inside the book, and that makes up the packaging?
yes my question too, how is it arranged/constructed?
and the all white look is very refreshing.

I've just pre-ordered, (and was very tempted to get a second edition as a pressy for a friend).

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:
[b]The Complete Cathedral Oceans ?

Well.... erm.... no it isn't.

Still a lovely package, that I will buy, but just slightly disappointed it's not really complete. [/b]
The image set on the first Cathedral Oceans set is broadly the same as for the DVD which came out in 2006, and so because of that - and the fact that the images are far crisper and clearer on the second edition - it was decided to omit the first Cathedral Oceans DVD from this set.

Also, the audio for both Cathedral Oceans and Cathedral Oceans II has been remastered to bring them in-line with Cathedral Oceans III and the DVD.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Tempting price too. Rob, do the CDs fit inside the book, and that makes up the packaging?
Yup, the discs fit within the book.

Rob

So is it the same DVD as the Cinemascope one?

H
H
Well, I love John's Cathedral Oceans albums and they're probably my most-played Foxx albums released post 1997 yet I can't really justify purchasing them yet again.

One hates to repeat myself but is there really any need to repackage and remaster a set of CDs that were pretty much perfect as they were when first released? I seem to remember that COII was released as a double pack with CO1 initially, so you had to buy a CD you already owned to get the new one, and I can't help but see this as another exercise in repurposing and marketing.

I seem to recall John mentioning that he had hours of unreleased Cathedral Oceans style-music left over. If the project must be reactivated, wouldn't it be better to give us a track or two (or even a whole CD) we haven't heard before?

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I seem to recall John mentioning that he had hours of unreleased Cathedral Oceans style-music left over. If the project must be reactivated, wouldn't it be better to give us a track or two (or even a whole CD) we haven't heard before?
I feel that this is an occasion when I'm really benefiting by having previously missed out! as I never got the original DVD, Oceans III, nor have I seen a live performance, so this is a sweet reward from my viewpoint.

But it would certainly have been an unexpected bonus to have seen some unreleased material come with this very stylish package, particularly for those fans who have been more actively dedicated over the years with their collecting.

The Tubular Bells effect?

clangggg!!
laugh

M
M
That would be a great gift for someone.

As much as it looks nice and is clearly good value for money - if you've already got the original book, all 3 albums and the DVD, then is it really worth? Maybe not. But for anybody who missed out on some or all of the above, this set looks to be ideal.

I wonder if this is replacing the Quiet Man book that was once mentioned.

C
C
This is brilliantly presented and it is a great time to revisit these works of art now the autumn is here.

Rob does have a point here about the choice of DVDs and the more recent DVD does have more appeal. My then 5 year old son was amazed at the moving graphics and the choral sound of these DVDs. However, he watched most of the times the COIII DVD:)

It is also great that now records come with a CD and a DVD, in a music world that has been taken over by downloads, both legal and illegal. The artistic value and dedication given to these little works of art only has to be praised.

Chris wink

cool

T
T
That looks a beautiful package, and in the days of collector's edition albums costing 50 quid plus for an additional book, badge, and stickers, this is incredible value!

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Well, I love John's Cathedral Oceans albums and they're probably my most-played Foxx albums released post 1997 yet I can't really justify purchasing them yet again.

One hates to repeat myself but is there really any need to repackage and remaster a set of CDs that were pretty much perfect as they were when first released? I seem to remember that COII was released as a double pack with CO1 initially, so you had to buy a CD you already owned to get the new one, and I can't help but see this as another exercise in repurposing and marketing.

While part of me agrees with you, perhaps John has decided that he has released all that he wants to from the Cathedral Oceans material and wants to draw a line under it. Of course, if a Cathedral Oceans IV were to appear somewhere along the line, that would be a little "unfortunate" ...

F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
The image set on the first Cathedral Oceans set is broadly the same as for the DVD which came out in 2006, and so because of that - and the fact that the images are far crisper and clearer on the second edition - it was decided to omit the first Cathedral Oceans DVD from this set.

Also, the audio for both Cathedral Oceans and Cathedral Oceans II has been remastered to bring them in-line with Cathedral Oceans III and the DVD.
Hmmm.
I've already bought Cathedral Oceans 3 times (original CD, on original DVD, and as a double-pack with Cathedral Oceans II) - I can't really bring myself to buy it a fourth time!

Also, these albums were just made for 5.1 surround sound - I love listening to them in 5.1...
if Cathedral Oceans I was in this package in remastered improved 5.1, I just might but it for the 4th time...... but it's not, and still no 5.1 mix for Cathedral Oceans II (come on, "Revolving Birdsong" so needs a 5.1 mix!)

So, no sale for me at this juncture....

For our Japanese friends...

ジョン・フ...#12540;ク

did I spell that right?
confused

Must admit I'm not tempted in buying all the CO albums again and I agree with Feline 1's veiws.

I have decided not to buy it either. frown

Peter

I've complained about all the catalogue recycling before, but even though I've bought the first one twice and the other two once, I don't have the book or the DVD, so what the heck. I ordered it.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
For our Japanese friends...

ジョン・フ...#12540;ク

did I spell that right?
confused
Perfect - learning yet another language, or already in your arsenal?? smile

alas not... only "copia e incolla" ....
wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.