Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27
November issue of "Computer Music" magazine. Being a musician with a modest computer-based studio, I'm a bit of synth//computer music nerd 8-)

C
C
Or rather, what am I not able to fully read.

As per another thread I’ve been listening to New Orleans band Belong, I decided to see if they might be touring our shores, a link let me to a list of their interests and a book about ‘dream machines’ was mentioned. A quick google led me to ‘Chapel Of Extreme Experience, A Short History Of The Dream Machine’, written by John Geiger when he was researching a biography of Beat writer and painter Brion Gysin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chapel-Extreme-E...2217&sr=1-1

I’d like to read this book (but not at that price!), however I found a very intriguing article called Mind Games –

“From the beginning, Gysin had big plans for the Dream Machine. He believed his brainchild could one day replace the television. As Geiger puts it, "Why have a preprogrammed box in your living room when you could actually just sit there and make your own movies?"

“The idea for the machine was born one afternoon in 1958, when Gysin closed his eyes as his bus passed an avenue of trees and found himself transported out of time by a "transcendental storm of color visions." Hungry to relive the experience, Gysin contacted his friend and collaborator William Burroughs, whose mathematician boyfriend, Ian Sommerville, then built what was the first Dream Machine—a cardboard cylinder with cutout slots, lit by a 100-watt bulb suspended inside, all of which sat on a turntable revolving at 78rpm. It wasn't elaborate, but it worked. Immediate advocates included Allen Ginsberg, who, as Geiger recounts, told Timothy Leary that the Dream Machine enabled him to see "jeweled biblical designs and landscapes without taking chemicals."

Mind Games:

http://www.johngeiger.net/news4.html

I
I
I'm nothing if not monothematic , as befits my "illustrious" user name
THE DEATH OF MARCO PANTANI MATT RENDELL
THE BIOGRAPHY CHRIS HOY

I'm reading Jane Austen

YES! ME! JANE AUSTEN!

And I'm enjoying it! So there! Nyah!

Administrator
Administrator
Nice One Gazza!

Which book? Have read 9and enjoyed) qute a bit myself

I've just started reading a collection of Manley-Hopkins poetry...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
M
M
Austin Osman Spare: The Life and Legend of London’s Lost Artist by Phil Baker

S
S
Daniel Gothard - Relax & Swing

Hiya Martin,

I'm reading Persuasion in tandem with Jane Austen by Carol Shields

S
S
Mark Prendergast - The Ambient Century (from mahler to moby)

Originally Posted By: Scott
Mark Prendergast - The Ambient Century (from mahler to moby)

Nice tip Scott - cheers. Looks good.

http://www.ambientcentury.co.uk/
The website is kind of retro already!

I recognise the author as one of the main interviwees in the Krautrock/Kraftwerk documentary "KW and the Electronic Revolution". I might be wrong.

Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.