Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
#13955 01/18/10 11:03 AM
On the 'news' front well-known 80s combo called Ultravox (whose hits include songs like Vienna, Dancing With Tears in My Eyes and All in One Day (?)) have added new dates to the Return to Eden 2 tour, with lots in Europe too .... molto bene!

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/tour-dates.shtml

#13956 03/12/10 07:19 PM
Stood at a gig from MARC ALMOND yesterday in Hamburg at the Docks.

Three words: BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC, SUPERB!!!

What a great show. He played some new material from his forthcoming album in June along his many hits.The highlight was the last song of the second encore; Tainted Love.
He is a wonderful singer. I enjoyed the concert from the first to the last minute.

5 points from 5 for this concert!

Hope he comes back soon. smile

#13957 03/12/10 08:06 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
cool cool

How good to know someone I know was there.

Glad you enjoyed the show Andreas.
Marc Almond is my Number One live act and I have seen him perform countless times.
Always engaging, powerful, passionate charming.

I'm looking forward to the two shows I am plannig to see this year, and anticipating the new album too.
He is, as you said, an amazing artist, and one of the few people who can still be described as unique.
Thanks for sharing

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13958 03/21/10 03:13 PM
F
F
Saw Heaven 17 doing a gig, well...2 out of 3 of them last night at Paradiso Amsterdam.

Always was fond of Heaven 17 record-wise so this was a nice chance.
As said it was only 2 of the original 3, Ian Craig Marsh bailed out a while ago.
They mentioned it was their first mainland gig of the anniversary tour, those seem obligatory these days.

And so it was the 30th anniversary Penthouse & Pavement tour.
They had additional support from a drummer, a guitar player and a very good female vocalist called Billie Godfrey.
It was a nice combo, Gregory still sounding like he used to (one of the best vocalists in the genre in my opinion).
For all I could hear a fair amount of actual keyboard playing by Ware.

I use pro earplugs these days on gigs (employer supplied laugh ), with filters in them.
These basically filter out the distortion of the volume.
And one thing that struck me was how 'plain' the music sounded.

To give you an idea of the atmosphere.
I went only to see them play, but since they were on stage in the middle of a regular "80s party" I think most of the audience had no clue who they were.
One girl yelled at me "is it ok to dance on stage?", I said yes (who am I to say no laugh )
She immediately followed up her first question with "is that a band on stage??? eek " laugh

All in all it was a nice mix of Penthouse & Pavement, recent stuff and "Being Boiled" as the finale.

#13959 03/21/10 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Saw Heaven 17 doing a gig, well...2 out of 3 of them last night at Paradiso Amsterdam.
All in all it was a nice mix of Penthouse & Pavement, recent stuff and "Being Boiled" as the finale.
Thank you for your review, fons!

Now you made me much more curios of them as I was before (and this was a lot ,too) laugh .

I will see them on Tuesday in Hamburg at the Fabrik.
I read in an article Mrs Godfrey is a real band member since 2006. Shame Ian Craig Marsh is not there too, but after your comment I think it all work fine with this line up.
AND I really looking forward to hearing BEING BOILED live!!! smile

Cheers, Andreas

#13960 03/22/10 09:31 AM
Well Fons,

I'd also planned to go, but reading your story I'm glad I didn't attend the H17 show.
I knew it was not a 'normal' gig, but in the middle of an eighties party. You described my worries about it that I had in advantage.
It's like when I attended a Bomb the Bass gig in London during a DJ night ... I was about the only one who seriously watched Tim and co doing their thing!

So no Glenn Gregory live for me, yet. frown

#13961 03/24/10 08:53 AM
Heaven 17, 23rd March in Hamburg at the Fabrik

A great concert. They played the whole Penthouse and Pavement album within 3 or 4 early B.E.F. tracks and Glenn Gregory played an accoustic guitar version of Human League's Don't you want me in the first part of the gig.
After a short pause they came back and played the second part which incl. Are Everything (Buzzcocks), I'm your Money, 3 tracks from The Luxury Gap - Come live with me, Let me go and as the final trackTemptation.

They came back for the encore with Being Boiled - which was fantastic (my personal highlight).
After it I guessed the gig was finished, but the people gave a massive applause - so they came back and Glenn Gregory played an accoustic guitar version of Geisha Boys and Temple Girls - and all people sung together.
The end of the second encore was an club mix version of Temptation.

The people in the sold out Fabrik enjoyed this concert a lot (incl.me!) and it looked like the band did too!

A fantastic night. Hope they come back for The Luxury Gap 30th anniversary tour next year....
laugh

#13962 03/25/10 05:03 PM
mad Jealousy wink

Reading Andreas review, this was the one I wanted to attend. frown

#13963 03/25/10 08:20 PM
F
F
Hehehe laugh
Andreas, so this was a "gig only" event?
From what I read from you they did a shorter version in Amsterdam.
We didn't get "I'm your Money" for sure, one I hoped to hear as well!

next gig! laugh

#13964 03/26/10 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Hehehe laugh
Andreas, so this was a "gig only" event?
From what I read from you they did a shorter version in Amsterdam.
We didn't get "I'm your Money" for sure, one I hoped to hear as well!

next gig! laugh
Yes it was a "gig only" event, though there was some music before - I think it was early B.E.F. stuff. There were a big screen behind the stage which looked like a mirror with many little silver shining lights. There were some visuals at the screen. It looked nice. But I cannot call this an eighties party 'cause there was no dance music. Seems the show in Hamburg was different to the one in Amsterdam.

But as I said it was a great gig. So if they come back one day - don't miss them! They are really worth the money!!

BTW. fons and Lody Herst: Are you going to the Roundhouse gig in June? Would be nice to meet us for a pre concert pint... wink

Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.