Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
#13895 12/12/08 04:44 PM
Thanks for that Mike and well done for making it thru the night!

#13896 12/14/08 11:41 AM
Sounds like a great night (minus your illness). Hope you are feeling better.

#13897 12/15/08 09:02 AM
Thanks for making me jealous Mike ... wink
Three favourite bands on one night, sounds like a dream!
And to Mr. Ibuprofen: "science is making me happy" (Yuri Hulkkonen). smile

#13898 12/15/08 08:53 PM
T
T
Nice review, Mike!

#13899 12/18/08 08:02 PM
M
M
The Steel City Tour, Hammersmith Apollo 8.12.2008

Heaven 17 was top quality stuff as was expected by yours truly. They started very early and I missed the first song 'Fascist Groove Thang'. It spoiled the Heaven 17 gig a bit for me, because I like to see the whole gig if it's an artist that I really like (i.e. my "Official Favourite"). When I settled down my eyes followed rather delicious looking and sounding Billie Godfrey. I wish they played a longer set.

I've never seen ABC live before and finally to hear 'Poison Arrow' and 'Show me' live raised spirits high. In a way ABC was the peak moment of the evening for me. 'The Lexicon of Love' is one of the best albums ever made and for some reason it's always been sort of a "christmas record" for me. The good feeling during ABC may have partly been caused the fact how nice Martin Fry was ealier in the afternoon when he signed my CDs outside Apollo. Truly gentleman and not too hurry to do signings with dedications.

Start of The Human League gig was perhaps the most impressive I've ever experienced. THAT light show and 'Seconds'... (take a moment to think about it). Only contender I can think of is 'The Man Machine' starting Kraftwerk Minimum-Maximum tour in Helsinki. I've seen The Human League live twice (first time in 2001) and both times they have been better and more than I expected. During 'Louise' we went from near the stage to further back to see the light-show-thing better. It was even more striking from distance and I've never seen anything like that before.

See my Steel City Tour photos here: http://personal.inet.fi/cool/places/steelcitytour/

#13900 12/18/08 09:48 PM
C
C
Thanks MikeG and Mr Normall for posting the Steel City reviews of Wolverhampton, and Hammersmith, (thanks also Mr Normall for the link to your great photo’s of meeting musicians at gig’s, I enjoyed seeing all of these smile )

#13901 03/09/09 11:21 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
This year, I'm looking forward to hosting Orland Jopling, Bob Pearce, Helen Shapiro and Yazz at the old church here in Southampton.

We're setting up a Friends group after Easter, which should open up the facility to 'other' performers and artists who don't 'wear the badge'... and gets two local art exhibitions in, as well as an evening of Polish folk music. cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13902 04/01/09 05:41 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Just signed up international harpist, Robin Ward

http://www.youtube.com/user/seb25arpa?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13903 04/18/09 01:32 PM
Went to see Ultravox at the Birmingham Symphony Hall last night. I won't post any details in case it spoils things for folks going to the later shows, but suffice it to say the guys were on fabulous form.

Not sure about this venue for gigs though. I arrived just after 7:30 and the support (Anne-Marie Helder) was already being piped through the tannoy system. What time did she come on confused Anyway, got a pint from the bar and went up many stairs to the Upper Circle hoping to take a look. Only I'm not allowed in with a drink mad This pint was meant to last most of the night. So I end up sitting in the Upper Circle reception area sipping my drink listening to Anne-Marie Helder over the tannoy.

Got slightly confused when other punters arrived (without drinks) and were not let in either. Then it dawned on me; they were only being let in between songs. What the ?!? Surely there are only a handful of people in the place? Would she not appreciate some extra fans?
Anyway the tannoy music stopped at 8:00 and she was gone.

Ultravox played to a full house from around 8:45 to 10:15. The atmosphere could be best described as reserved. I had expected the place to go wild when they first came on, but it was more polite applause than anything else. Maybe the ambience of the place was playing a part? And everyone remained seated.

It took until about song 7 or 8 for Midge to query if there was a house rule that meant "everyone had to sit on their arses" (I expect there probably was a rule). Anyway, at that point the atmosphere got more energetic and half the place was on its feet.

I left the place with mixed emotions. As I said, the performance could not be faulted, but it just didn't feel like a normal gig to me. Maybe being in the Upper Circle played a part. Plus I would have liked to have seen some of the support act.

#13904 04/24/09 06:18 PM
Sometimes your expectations dictate the sort of evening you experience. For last weeks Ultravox show, my expectations were high, but for last nights Gary Numan show at Wolverhampton, my expectations were low. Not that I think Gary Numan is a poor performer. Its just that the most recent album I own is Exile, and I have yet to be won over by his 21 century work. I was expecting a night of unfamiliar guitar driven tracks. However, he was performing on my doorstep, so I reasoned it would be rude not to go.

SPOILER ALERT eek

Well, he blew me away. His new stuff sounded great, and there were generous helpings from the past as well. As you probably guessed, I'm not able to give a full set-list, so I pinched this one from one of the Numan forums: -

Jagged
Films
Crazier
Fold
Dream of Wires
Pure
Metal
The Fall
Blind
Down In The Park
Absolution
I Assassin
Haunted
Halo
Are Friends Electric?

Encore

We Are So Fragile
I Die You Die
A Prayer For The Unborn

Hmmm .... maybe now is the time to take a another look at his newer stuff.

Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.