Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30
#13825 10/23/07 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I am pretty sure it is March 8
Pisces..

#13826 10/23/07 01:29 PM
Lets just say its more known than Johns....

Its the 8th for sure, 1958.

#13827 10/23/07 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
eek
No, not my Gary.
You must have meant to type 1968 wink

#13828 10/23/07 02:13 PM
you wish!

#13829 10/27/07 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
you wish!
No, not me, I am not hung up on his age.

#13830 10/27/07 07:29 PM
Funny facts time. Numan's birthday is exactly two months after Bowie's.

#13831 10/28/07 08:00 PM
And Gary shares a birthday with Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees laugh

#13832 10/29/07 06:12 PM
T
T
And I was born 20 years and one day after Hitler died and 10 years and one day before David Beckham was born. eek

#13833 10/31/07 01:11 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
ALL THIS AND MORE
There are some bands (at least names) that are always there in the background, but somehow never seem to quite get noticed. My CD collection I have come to realise contains six albums by The Wedding Present, and my diary recalls having seen the band live previously three times between 1987 and 1989, and twice as The Ukranians in the early 1990s.
I seem to vaguely recall one of these shows in Oxford when they 'supported' the amazing Biggy Tempo(??) and the Bhundu Boys.
SImilarly, music venues that just 'hang on in there' are equally appealling, quietly gathering history and developing a pedigree that seems enhanced by the sticky floors and absence of new paint.
One such place that will always hold special memories is the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth, and a chance to catch up with the Wedding Present again on the George Best 20th Anniversary Tour. But this is not nostalgia, this is now. Gedge has never gone away and is not making a 'comeback' via the 1980s Whole Album bandwagon clattering past his back door. Just as I haven't started going to gigs again - its something I've always done.

It's another expression of 'retro-future' perhaps, but it has never sounded as fresh and right as it did this evening.
The set was brilliantly compiled but surprised me at th ebeginning. Having not done my research properly I was expecting the album, and then some, but to open with an unfamiliar song surprised me.
A distant bell rings in my memory and by the time the song is over I vaguely recall my copy of SeaMonsters lurking in the back of the cupboard. I have never 'got' this one, and it remains one of those albums I have only played once and preferred to forget about. Then its straight into Brassneck, and suddenly the forty-somethings in front of me launch into one another and start moshing around as if its the most natural thing to do.
I stayed just behind the mass of bodies at first, trying to work out what was going on as Mr Gedge introduced a 'new song' called 'Don't Take me Home Till I'm Drunk' or something. Typically insightful witty lyrics but more Cinemera than Weddoes. His introduction was classic. "Don't worry. We are gonna play George Best, in full, but well, it's a bit short so we thought we'd throw in a few other things as well. This is a new song, so if you need the toilets…" Yeah Yeah Yeah
Then some solid, rhymic but still-quite-slow guitar work with his typical back to audience posture, slowly turning, smiling and waiting for those few seconds of silence as the needle goes down on Side One of the LP.
"Oh why do you..."
A huge roar, and two thirds of the room becomes a moshpit of elbows and pushing. I always have this self-conscience moment at gigs before let go of my head because my usually more reserved colleagues tend to make me feel rather like someone's dad at a wedding, dancing as if to deliberately embarass both myself and them. Didn't take long to throw caution into the very good-natured crowd of people and the rest of the gig was an absolute pleasure as the whole of the album was thrashed out in order with no mucking about.
Some of the old favourites understandly went down best, and for me that includes 'A Milliuon Miles', 'Shatner' and 'Anyone can make A Mistake'
Thankyou. That was George Best.
Only an hour then. Seems like we've been here all night.
There's ome banter with the audience, some noodlings and chordss when it emerges the drummer has put a stick thru one of his skins. A young attractive female roadie? Work that one out
"You've lost your love of life
Too much apple pie"
Listening to these songs again it is glaringly obvious that Gedge is master at what he does. His hand gestures draw attention to his stories of infidelity and arguments. In fact that's it - aren't all Wedding Present songs the scripts of break-ups and make-ups? The lyrics - simple thoughts, conversations and observations - fall effortlessly into the melodies and songs like the awesome "Kennedy" are genius in their simplicity. Haven't we all felt the pain of someone else's hand on our Favourite Dress?

And talking of great moments in world history, remember the Twelve Singles in Twelve Months record from 1992? Of course you do. Gedge and the band ended their set (we don't do encores, remember?) with another one, the fan-pleasing Flying Saucer.

It's refreshing to hear short songs live. Few of the songs from George Best last more than three mnutes, and they were reproduced faithfully tonight by musicians that didn't perform on the originals.
David Gedge is a master, and this tour is a lesson in how to do retrospective shows. To be honest, he blew everything else I've seen this year out of the water. One of the best gigs I have ever seen and I'm excited now at the thought of brushing the dust of that SeaMonsters vinyl.
I don't generally do recommendations, but I'd seriously consider catching up the Wedding Present during November if you can.
Faster, faster
…thanks, and GIve my Love to Kevin.

Five out of five. Top bananas laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13834 10/31/07 08:36 AM
thanks for the review martin, sounds it was really great! i used to be a huge fan of the weddoes, way back in 87/88 or so but i've never seen them live and at some point mid-90's i stopped buying their records but maybe it would be time to dig george best or bizarro out again.

wasn't the ukranians a different band though, i guess gedge was never involved? of course it started with those peel sessions but anyway...

Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.