Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi folks!

At 8.00pm last night, the lights went down in the Birmingham Symphony Hall, and on stage walked no other than David Sylvian, dressed in black and welcomed by an eager audience.

My first impressions were how youthful he looked, as did his drummer brother Steve Jansen. He smiled at the crowd, sat on his stool, picked up his guitar and he and his band launched into 'Wonderful World' from his album 'Snow Borne Sorrow'. David's unmistakeable deep and emotional voice filled the hall and I was captivated from the start. Alternating between electric and acoustic guitar (and even a megaphone for the intro of 'Snow Borne Sorrow') we were treated to tracks such as 'World Citizen (I Won't be Disappointed), 'Librarian', 'Fire in the Forest', 'Every Colour you Are' and 'The Day The Earth Stole Heaven'.

I wondered if he would perform any Japan material, and lo and behold, a disappointingly rearranged version of 'Ghosts' made an appearance. However, his vocal delivery seemed as effortless and flawless as ever, and he seemed very touched by the crowds constant appreciative responses, noticeable looking at his audience and smiling as he performed.

Two hours and two encores later, David and his band left the stage to a standing ovation, David walking forward to shake the hands of a few eager fans at the front of the stage.

The show kept a relaxed and jazzy pace throughout, which I thought maybe could have been temporarily uplifted by including a more upbeat track at some point during the set, but nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and could have easily sat and listened to David for another two hours!

I also had the pleasure of meeting the lovely Mr Ilektrik whilst at the gig, and I'm sure that he will give you his take on the concert at some point soon!

Sarah laugh

Nice review, Sarah.

He is an interesting musician, and like John, no longer a mainstream artist but still with a growing 'cult' following.

I know little about his music - I only have 2 albums (Everything & Nothing and Camphor), but he does some very creative stuff.

Sounds brave of him to only do one Japan number - it's good that he has the guts to push on with the new rather than rely on older glories.

OP Offline
Thanks, Alex.

laugh

Many thanks for that Sarah!

Thanks indeed Sarah, esp as I found out last night that I may not make it to any of the Italian gigs next week frown
Anyway if I do sounds as if I'll have to swot up a bit on "Snow Borne" !

I always intended to find out more about his work. I first heard his solo stuff in an Our Price shop when they were playing the Dead bees On A cake album.

I bought Everything and Nothing on the strength of the album cover - I liked the dog's eyebrows.....

Here's my quick Top 5 'recommended' list, if you're interested (excluding E+N of course):

1. Secrets of the Beehive
2. Brilliant Trees
3. Gone to Earth
4. Alchemy
5. Flux + Mutability

.. but I'm sure some will beg to differ.....

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:

I bought Everything and Nothing on the strength of the album cover - I liked the dog's eyebrows.....
Yes indeed - they are very humourous! I absolutely love 'Jean the Birdman' from his collaboration with Robert Fripp.

Sarah laugh

Jean the Birdman is one of my favourites on that CD along with Laughter and Forgetting and Bamboo Houses, which is fantastic!

If you like 'Laughter..' you'll just lurve 'Gone to Earth'. Bamboo Houses / Music etc. belongs to that transition period post Japan, collaborating with Sakamoto-san etc. I don't think he ever did anything else quite like it as a solo artist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.