Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#11965 08/31/07 09:24 AM
OP Offline
I'm sure I'm not the only Foxx fan on here with a love for Joy Division, so for those who care - the tracklists for the re-re-re-re-issued JD albums have finally arrived in the deluge of stuff that will no doubt arrive once the film 'Control' gets released next month.

All are 2CD sets, the first CD being the original album. The second CD in each set is a different gig recording. ULU and High Wycombe are taken from the master tapes of an audience recording;

Unknown Pleasures CD2: The Factory, Manchester Live 11 April 1980

Disc: 2
1. Dead Souls
2. The Only Mistake
3. Insight
4. Candidate
5. Wilderness
6. She's Lost Control
7. Shadowplay
8. Disorder
9. Interzone
10. Atrocity Exhibition
11. Novelty
12. Transmission

Closer CD2: University of London Union Live '80

1. Dead Souls
2. Glass
3. A Means To An End
4. Twenty Four Hours
5. Passover
6. Insight
7. Colony
8. These Days
9. Love Will Tear Us Apart
10. Isolation

11. The Eternal (Encore)
12. Digital (Encore)

Still CD2: High Wycombe Town Hall Live 20 February 1980

1. The Sound Of Music
2. A Means To An End
3. Colony
4. Twenty Four Hours
5. Isolation
6. Love Will Tear Us Apart
7. Disorder
8. Atrocity Exhibition

9. Isolation (Sound Check)
10. The Eternal (Sound Check)
11. Ice Age (Sound Check)
12. Disorder (Sound Check)
13. The Sound Of Music (Sound Check)
14. The Eternal (Sound Check)

There's also a Limited Edition vinyl box-set, with all 3 albums ('Still' back in it's original hessian book-style design with ribbon), but it's £160 on Amazon, which is quite frankly, taking the mick!

Garry

#11966 08/31/07 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info Garry .. had no idea these were being done. I notice all the 'extras' are live gigs ... no B sides or things like that ??(cf Metamatic 2CD set)

My fave studio album is Closer by the way.

#11967 08/31/07 11:22 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Thanks for the info Garry .. had no idea these were being done. I notice all the 'extras' are live gigs ... no B sides or things like that ??(cf Metamatic 2CD set)

I've been listening to 'Closer' a lot recently too!

I think the reason there are no B-sides is because of the definitive box-set 'Heart and Soul' released 10 years ago; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Soul-Joy-D...88559155&sr=8-4
Which has both the studio albums, B-sides, unreleased recordings, live recordings, some Peel session material and pretty much everything you'll ever need.

#11968 08/31/07 04:12 PM
Thanks for this Garry.

I confess to not having much JD material on CD, but plenty of New Order!

I might invest in this. JD did some fantastic tracks. Certainly a great listing.

Sarah laugh

#11969 08/31/07 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I think the reason there are no B-sides is because of the definitive box-set 'Heart and Soul' released 10 years ago;
Which has both the studio albums, B-sides, unreleased recordings, live recordings, some Peel session material and pretty much everything you'll ever need.
yep ... it really incl. "EVERYTHING u'll ever need" by jd & so i'll stick with that one ! ;-)

thanx for the info , anyway , garry ! :-)

#11970 09/03/07 06:52 AM
i'm a big joy division fan (and even bigger new order fan) so i'll probably will buy these remastered versions, i'm just wondering why there's no remaster of 'substance', which basically collects all the non-album material. also i think there's really no point in putting these live recordings out with the albums, i'd prefer one-disc remasters and a triple-cd of live material.

unknown pleasures is my fave (substance is even better but it's a comp).

#11971 09/03/07 08:07 AM
the new Closer is up for £16 on Amazon which seems a bit steep to me ... plus they all have different prices - is that depending on which one they think will sell the most / least ?' (Still £12, U.Pleas £14) ...

#11972 09/16/07 08:55 AM
C
C
Quote:

It is mine too. Believe it or not it is mentioned somewhere that it is George Michael's all time favourite album. All Heart and Soul for George! laugh

Unknown Pleasures succeeds in depicting perfectly it's theme, Manchester in 79 and Ian coming as a modern day messiah like most pop stars aim to be! It's a very uniform album, very well produced by Martin Hannett, all instruments played exceptionally well, although too dark for my taste.

Closer was more of a collection of songs as the band was moving into a more commercial direction . The album couldn't be finished properly due to Ian's untimely death. Over 10 songs had been finished but not the album concept. Yet it proved to be a masterpiece just for Ian's prose in the advent of his suicide.

Really intriguing was Ian's death. As we all have read he was going through the pressures of a pop star, taking drugs for his epilepsy, going though a marriage break-up and moreover he was a depressive character. It's mentioned that when Ian committed suicide he was listening to Iggy Pop's The Idiot. There's nothing suicidal about this album. It was probably his favourite, so he played it. I've also read somewhere that Ian was obsessed with the Throbbing Gristle track Weeping , which I've never heard before. Those who are into TG would know this track and like most TG tracks are very shocking and venomous! On Genesis' diary notes he mentioned that the night before his suicide Ian was very depressed and was heavy on this song and sounded very suicidal on the phone. Genesis warned some of his friends but did not believe him. The rest was tragedy. frown

http://www.genesisp-orridge.com/index.php?section=article&id=65

Anyhow, yep Heart and Soul box set is the definitive collection of a band that became New Order and continued to influence British pop music. Like Ultravox, a band of excellent musicians.

Chris

#11973 09/17/07 07:59 AM
Isn't there a film coming out or something about Ian Curtis?

#11974 09/17/07 08:46 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Isn't there a film coming out or something about Ian Curtis?
Hi Mark,

There is indeed, which is probably why the albums have been given a spring clean. The movie is called 'Control'the film will be released in the UK on the 5th October.

I know that New Order added some new soundtrack music and that it was co-produced by Deborah Curtis, Ian's widow and the late, great Tony Wilson.

http://momentum.control.substance001.com/Main.html

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.