Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 44 1 2 40 41 42 43 44
RadioBeach #44220 05/11/12 07:34 AM
Machine Music DVD tracklisting (June 11th)

Cars / Complex / We Are Glass / I Die You Die / This Wreckage / She's Got Claws / Love Needs No Disguise (with Dramatis) / Music For Chameleons / We Take Mystery (To Bed) / Warriors / Berserker / Your Fascination / Call Out The Dogs / Dominion Day / Cars (with Fear Factory) / Rip / Crazier (with Rico) / In A Dark Place / Healing (with Ade Fenton) / The Fall / My Machines (with Battles) / Down In The Park (Micromusic) / Are 'Friends' Electric (Top Of The Pops, 1979) / Cars (Saturday Night Live, 1980) / Praying To The Aliens (Saturday Night Live, 1980) / Metal (TV, 1979) / I Die You Die (Kenny Everett, 1980) / Remind Me To Smile (Live Teletour) / We Take Mystery (To Bed) (Top Of The Pops promo film, 1982) / hite Boys And Heroes (Top Of The Pops promo film, 1982)

TOURDATES

MAY
22 - Leicester O2 Academy / 23 - Glasgow O2 ABC / 24 - Newcastle O2 Academy / 25 - Sheffield O2 Academy / 26 - Ireland Dublin Button Factory / 28 - Bournemouth O2 Academy / 29 - Bristol O2 Academy / 30 - Cambridge Junction / 31 - Birmingham HMV Institute
JUNE
1 - London HMV Forum / 2 - Cardiff Coal Exchange / 3 - Brighton Dome

MemberD #44222 05/11/12 08:57 AM
Very much looking forward to the DVD - I've never really seen any of the promo videos in full, or poor quality ones on YouTube, so a lot of it, at least the early stuff I'll be viewing for the first time.

Seeing the tour in SHeffield and very much looking forward to it.

Whilst on the subject, Townsend are offering a free download of Andy Gray's new remix of "Dead Sun Rising".

It really is high time Mr Gray produced a Numan album...

Alex S #44247 05/16/12 06:53 PM
looking forward to london gig and dvd, will be good to have offically.

nightporter #44274 05/22/12 03:17 PM

MemberD #44294 05/26/12 12:46 PM
The Sheffield show was absolutely awful. I'd been really looking forward to this for months, and I came out feeling incredibly disappointed. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it though, but I suspect they were enjoying the beer more than the gig (and anything is bound to be amazing after enough pints). Either way to me, the whole thing just somehow felt low key and half-hearted.

The worst problem was the sound - it was abysmal. Sound check anyone??! I was standing half way back in the middle where you ought to get decent sound... and I've seen Gary at the O2 Academy there before and it was brilliant, so I don't know what happened. You could barely hear him until "This Wreckage", when somebody clearly had the idea of turning his volume up. slightly.

"Berserker" - the one song I'd really been anticipating - was a complete let down. Same with "Call Out the Dogs", which sounded like it was mostly coming from CD.

The more recent songs ("In A Dark Place", "The Fall", "Crazier") sounded muffled and muddy and there was no need for Ade Fenton collab "Healing", whatsoever - a lost opportunity for something like We Take Mystery. The newer material was clearly favoured over the older stuff (ie what everyone really wanted). "Rip" is a pointless song to play live because whispered vocals just don't work live, especially when you can't hear him in the first place.

After attempting to play many of the old tracks as they were, "Metal", "Cars" and AFE were all subject to heavy makeovers which ruined them. The songs didn't even flow well, almost as if they were picked at random.

All of you will know what a fan of Gary Numan I am, and I don't criticise anyone without good reason. But I wouldn't recommend this tour. I was wondering if it was just the venue but I read similar things about the Glasgow gig.

I turned to my mate during "Rip" and said I was bored. It's just not right to be BORED at a concert, is it?!

And there's the Machine Music DVD - nicely packaged with a slipcase and booklet; 2 discs, interview etc - but at £28, they're having a laugh. I understand that limitations on the footage rights have limited the DVD to a run of just 3000, but charging close to thirty quid for a DVD is a bit of a joke. Which put collectors like me in a frustrating position. Knowing this was my only chance to buy it and the pressing was limited, I bit the bullet and bought one. So if a cheaper version appears on Townsend after the tour, I shall be furious. It's particularly saddening because Gary has always gone out of his way to give fans good value and fair prices. maybe I'll be able to confirm this when I've watched it.

But overall, what a disappointment. Maybe I've seen Numan too many times in recent years, but after that, I'm done with gigs for a while.

Alex S #44295 05/26/12 06:10 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Shame you didn't enjoy it Alex, but I wouldn't rule out going to any gigs for a while just after one bad experience??

Feedback I'm seeing on Twitter is generally positive about these shows though.

Honest reviews like this are few and far between.
Pity. Thanks for sharing

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #44296 05/26/12 10:14 PM
Sorry to hears it was not good Alex.

I'm going to the Birmingham show next week.I'm hoping for better.

Brian

Brian #44297 05/27/12 01:17 PM
I guess you can tell I was on a bit of a downer when posting that! I think that was my 9th Numan gig - sometimes you can see an artist too many times and the 'magic' wears off. The last time I saw Gary on the TPP tour it was a similar experience but I put it down to the venue which was absolutely microscopic.

I get the feeling that with his pending move to LA, these might be his last UK shows for some time. So in that sense it's a shame to come out on a low.

...it just didn't have the civilised sophistication of a John Foxx concert!

Alex S #44301 05/28/12 04:03 PM
Alex,

I went to the Newcastle gig and have more or less the same opinion as you. The vocals on Berserker were virtually no existent. To be honest I enjoyed the support act more! The sound seemed to be much clearer particularly on the synths.
I was also keen to get the DVD but yes £28.00 seemed way over the top (I was expecting £15-£20.00)

Lord Lost #44305 05/28/12 08:50 PM
From what I've seen of the DVD so far, it does look worth, if you're a collector. There' novelty in it for me though as I haven't seen many of them before, certainly in full. Plus the bonus interview is 90 mins!

Page 42 of 44 1 2 40 41 42 43 44

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.