Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 676 of 753 1 2 674 675 676 677 678 752 753
Anne Dudley Seriously Chilled

The three disc Prince 'Lotusflow3r' extravaganza...

This week I have been mostly back and forth between Interplay and Credo laugh

C
C
If its getting boring me saying this, but I'll whisper it anyway... today its been Interplay twice over, and even when its not actually playing I can't get those damn catchy tunes out of my head!

Today, it's the latest offering from the excellent Hot Club of Cowtown - 'What Makes Bob Holler'.

S
S
Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys

Foo Fighters Wasting Light, they've put the whole album up via Facebook link, sounds good for an entirely analogue production made in a garage!

Administrator
Administrator
Last week, I discovered this:

Moon Wiring Club A Stray Tabby At The Cat's Wedding

I first came across Ian Hodgson's tales from 'Clinksell' eary last year during the 'Wierd Tales for Winter' series on Resonance FM, and I've listened to bits and pieces of his since. This is the first whole album I've got that's connected to Ghostbox as well, who I find fascinating but probably don't really "get" if I'm honest.

This long album (22 tracks) comes across to me like it was written as a soundtrack to an interpretation of Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. It's peculiar, oddly constructed and jammed full of seemingly random dreamlike sequences, connected by repeated samples, bells, ringing telephones and disembodied voices. Doors open and close on different scenes - like rooms in apartment block. Full of seemingly un-connected people whose interaction with one another is entirely coincidental.

The repeated elements phase in and out like bits of our own past. You come across people or events you think you have experienced or met before, but can't quite place where. We can't choose what we remember.
It's quite funny too in places, like a very clever script for an afternoon play. Very Radio 4. Fragments from an Edwardian drawing room populated by Bright Young Things and belligerent Great Aunts. Think TS Eliot and Evelyn Waugh, Tenniell and Edward Lear

There were these ghosts. And they had a dance.

Childlike, naive and charming - yet also threatening, complex and completely mad.
Or is it...?

Another one of those albums that I wish I'd heard before because it goes so well with everything else and makes me understand it all so much less

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

[b]Moon Wiring Club
A Stray Tabby At The Cat's Wedding

I first came across Ian Hodgson's tales from 'Clinksell' eary last year during the 'Wierd Tales for Winter' series on Resonance FM, and I've listened to bits and pieces of his since. This is the first whole album I've got that's connected to Ghostbox as well, who I find fascinating but probably don't really "get" if I'm honest.

This long album (22 tracks) comes across to me like it was written as a soundtrack to an interpretation of Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. It's peculiar, oddly constructed and jammed full of seemingly random dreamlike sequences, connected by repeated samples, bells, ringing telephones and disembodied voices. Doors open and close on different scenes - like rooms in apartment block. Full of seemingly un-connected people whose interaction with one another is entirely coincidental.

The repeated elements phase in and out like bits of our own past. You come across people or events you think you have experienced or met before, but can't quite place where. We can't choose what we remember.
It's quite funny too in places, like a very clever script for an afternoon play. Very Radio 4. Fragments from an Edwardian drawing room populated by Bright Young Things and belligerent Great Aunts. Think TS Eliot and Evelyn Waugh, Tenniell and Edward Lear

There were these ghosts. And they had a dance.

Childlike, naive and charming - yet also threatening, complex and completely mad.
Or is it...?

Another one of those albums that I wish I'd heard before because it goes so well with everything else and makes me understand it all so much less [/b]
eek I'm shocked to see you posting here tonight, Martin. Thought you would be at The Troxy.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

[b]Moon Wiring Club
A Stray Tabby At The Cat's Wedding

This long album (22 tracks) comes across to me like it was written as a soundtrack to an interpretation of Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. It's peculiar, oddly constructed and jammed full of seemingly random dreamlike sequences, connected by repeated samples, bells, ringing telephones and disembodied voices. Doors open and close on different scenes - like rooms in apartment block. Full of seemingly un-connected people whose interaction with one another is entirely coincidental[/b]
Martin I completely agree with you about this, and that's an excellent interpretation you've got there. I listened to samples of the album online last year and considered getting it, but I've just checked the two sources I'd have bought it from and annoyingly the CD is now sold out mad

(There's a different mix or arrangement between the CD and the vinyl version, and it can be bought as a bundle)

Page 676 of 753 1 2 674 675 676 677 678 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.