Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 666 of 753 1 2 664 665 666 667 668 752 753
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Well barring a couple of more well-known songs, I knew nothing about Scott Walker at all. And David Bowie is forever banging on about him.

So I was curious to hear the original version of Nite Flights, as I absolutely love the Bowie version. It's become the definitive version for me, not ever having heard or previously heard of, the original, but I felt the time was right to investigate.

I know Walker's voice well enough to realise it's influence on Bowie's own vocals, particularly from the late 70s onwards. What I wasn't expecting was such a striking similarity to David Sylvian's vocal style, particularly the harmonies. I'll wager he cites Walker as an influence too.

As for Nite Flights as an album, well it's interesting. Great bass playing, and production. Typically late 70s funky kind of thing, but in the most obscure fashion. A very curious listen, and accessibly short album.
His vocals were influential on Ian Curtis too - you can hear the transition in the months between the whining thinness of An Ideal for Living and the deeper, rounder vocals on Unknown Pleasures.

It was rumoured that Sylvian and Walker, both Virgin recording artists in the 80s were to begin a collaboration but that was all it was sadly; rumour. Interesting one though - I wonder what the results would have been like.

If you want to investigate Scott's solo work, Scott 3 and Scott 4 are great places to start.

Yeah, I know of those albums. Could be time to investigate...

T
T
Quote:
Yeah, I know of those albums. Could be time to investigate...
Scott 3 is devastatingly good but I would probably suggest Climate of Hunter (despite its weirdness and particularly its strange lyrics) might be a better place to start for a lover of Simple Minds.

T
T
Radiohead "The King of Limbs". It is (like all their recent albums) interesting, strange, instantly recognisable as them, but also slightly different. Like a lover with new accessories.

Lots of The Cure, especially "Join the Dots" and "Mixed Up".

Strand of Oaks "Pope Killdragon" - one of the best new things I have heard for a long time.

Marc Almond "Stardom Road" - I'm new to this one. Very enjoyable, a real labour of love.

C
C
CocoRosie - Grey Oceans, Neotropic - La Prochaine Fois, and one that I've looked for from time to time, and I'm particularly pleased to now finally own on CD, and I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it... an unused... still sealed... pristine copy of... John Hassell & Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol 1 laugh

At last I can get rid of my late 80's double cassette of Dream Theory'/Fourth world'.

I recall mention of Fourth World' towards the end of last year on this thread, with the poster saying that it was like an irritating insect in the background (that would be Ba-benzele then laugh ) - Admittedly the first time I heard this album (it belonged to a friend) was back in '83, it was such a shock the effect was quite numbing, like being stuck indoors on a wet day looking out at the rain running down a windowpane!

Later in '88 I found myself buying that tape version, and revelation, genius music, it became one of my all time solid favourite works. I spent many a long-distance train journey in the 90's with the old cassette walkman, drifting off to Charm.

M
M
Gary Numan - 'Jagged'

Still a brilliant album except for 'In A Dark Place'. It does absolutely nothing for me. Can't get into it at all & can't listen to it all the way through.

Tool - '10,000 Days'

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Quote:
[b] Yeah, I know of those albums. Could be time to investigate...
Scott 3 is devastatingly good but I would probably suggest Climate of Hunter (despite its weirdness and particularly its strange lyrics) might be a better place to start for a lover of Simple Minds. [/b]
Ahh yes, Climate of Hunter!
Love that album! smile
Bought it in the same week as David Sylvian's Brilliant Trees, in the year these albums came out.

The opening song tells it all.
It starts with a simple cowbell, and it ends with a massive orchestrated tune.
It's intimate and over the top at the same time.
Only Scott Walker can get away with it ...

The Tilt album was originally supposed to be produced by Brian Eno.
During the making of the album there were too many differences between the two and Eno backed off.
Walker and Eno working in the recording studio, imagine that!
laugh

S
S
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Currently reading Under The Sky - The Life & Music Of Kate Bush by Graeme Thompson. Intersting to read what some of the songs are about. Hadn't played this album for a while & it was good to make sense of the lyrics.

Mirrors - Lights And Offerings

Surprised to see it fall through my letterbox this morning. Ordered direct from Skint Records to get the remix disc also. Haven't played that yet but the album itself is great & could follow in the footsteps of my favourite album from last year which also got played too.

Hurts - Happiness

The best from last year. Similar electro/80's sounding Mirrors will do well to better this but on previous listen it'll come close.

Music For Headphones - Life in Mono

to be followed by

Mirrors - Light and Offerings
smile

This Is War 30 Seconds To Mars

Page 666 of 753 1 2 664 665 666 667 668 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.