Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 659 of 753 1 2 657 658 659 660 661 752 753
Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Vol 2 - The Longs.

Firth of Fifth. Best guitar solo I've ever heard.

S
S
Jo Hamilton - Gown

C
C
Pre-bedtime listening with Stars Of The Lid -

A Meaningful Moment Through A Meaningless Process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PE50PZG5aw

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
[b] [b]Jean Michel Jarre: En Attendant Cousteau

The title track is clocking in at approx 45 minutes. It's an epic minimalistic piece. For me, it fits in somewhere between John's work with Harold Budd and Tiny Colour Movies. cool [/b]
A superb and underrated album. When I saw him live in October, En Attendant Cousteau was playing as the pre-gig music - it was very atmospheric and made a very unusual build-up to the show.

It is a brilliant ambient piece, although it took me a long time to realise that. [/b]
I can understand why. It's, like 'Sessions 2000', a different piece of cake!
But that's exactly what JMJ makes such a compelling artist.

C
C
Boards Of Canada: Music Has The Right To Children

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
[b] [b]Jean Michel Jarre: En Attendant Cousteau

The title track is clocking in at approx 45 minutes. It's an epic minimalistic piece. For me, it fits in somewhere between John's work with Harold Budd and Tiny Colour Movies. cool [/b]
A superb and underrated album. When I saw him live in October, En Attendant Cousteau was playing as the pre-gig music - it was very atmospheric and made a very unusual build-up to the show.

It is a brilliant ambient piece, although it took me a long time to realise that. [/b]
When I was much younger, I travelled and saw the Paris 'La Defense' concert in 1990 and this piece was used continuously over several hours in the build up to showtime on the day. It was an amazing gig to experience - for a long long time afterwards, nothing I saw ever matched it visually or for the sheer energy that was put out over the city. Sadly, for me at least, a lot of Jarre's output since then has been in the 'downhill' category; interesting enough for its genre, but no more than that.

frown

Quote:
Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Vol 2 - The Longs.

Firth of Fifth. Best guitar solo I've ever heard.
The problem for me with Genesis is that although they are technically perfect night after night on stage, there is no spontaneity in the music. The solo (and combination of medley) you mention has been played absolutely the same on each tour since 1992. After a while for a listener, it's easy to 'switch off' because you know what you're getting.

Have a listen to this.

Eric Clapton - \'White Room\' (with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, 1990)

There are better and more interesting guitar solos out there than the Genesis one, trust me.

All the best,

EG

M
M
The Cure - 'Seventeen Seconds'

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
The composer John Barry passed away yesterday on Sunday. I'm presently having some late night listening to his soundtrack for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's perhaps not the most remembered of the James Bond films, but there's a consensus amongst Bond music fans that Barry's score for OHMSS is certainly of the best of his compositions for the Bond series.
Yes, it was sad news. I have always loved the "Out of Africa" theme - epic, sad but hugely uplifting and it was quite emotional to hear it on the radio in tribute.

T
T
Quote:
Duran[b]DuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuranDuran [/b]
So that's what they are calling themselves these days? wink

Page 659 of 753 1 2 657 658 659 660 661 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.