Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 655 of 753 1 2 653 654 655 656 657 752 753
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
just listened to the 1m30s sample of a new song on Gary Numan's website.

Captured Underground Noise Transmission.

You can work the acronym out for yourselves.
And if that isn't bad enough, he's swearing in the song too, in the obligatory whispery bit. I'd generally respected Numan for not stooping so low in his music, but now, he's hammered in the final nail. The swearing starts, I switch off. He's not Trent!

Is this dirge is all he's got to offer after god knows how many years of waiting and hoping?

Always a shame to have to resort to living in the past of an artist's work. But those early Numan albums are timeless. Interesting lyrics, catchy synth riffs, real drums and good basslines.

Somebody tell him, please!
Well I really like it. Big noise, full on & real drums. The swearing doesn't bother me, it's used correctly in the right context, unlike Reznor who over used the swearing so much, I did switch off & I did the same with Marilyn Manson.

I do really like 'Jagged', so it's no surprise that I like 'C.U.N.T.'( sorry, just couldn't resist!) laugh

C
C
Quote:
Captured Underground Noise Transmission.

You can work the acronym out for yourselves.
And if that isn't bad enough, he's swearing in the song too, in the obligatory whispery bit

those early Numan albums are timeless. Interesting lyrics, catchy synth riffs, real drums and good basslines
I must be a numpty, I was thinking what acronym? - it wasn't till Mr Ilektrik posted that I saw the light :rolleyes:

Captured Underground Noise Transmission - I expected to hate this, however, I quite enjoyed it, and I know I'd enjoy it live, but do we really need more of this sound?

Swearing really puts me off as well - "sh!t will float" OMD take note - but I can't make out any on Gary's clip, so I'm deaf as well as word-blind!

Googling the title gives links to YouTube and 'noise torture', which I suspect you might agree with Alex. I will side with you in saying why on earth doesn't he try to do something more with all he's learned with his industrial side, even if he looked to the minimalism of his early pure electro, or the esoteric quality of an album like Dance for some future clues of originality to set against where hes at now.

C
C
Perhaps we should start a new music thread called: 'As recommended by other artists...' As I came across my usual copy of the free Metro on the bus during the week, and true to its cornucopia of urban culture and hip lifestyle aspiration laugh (with some news thrown in of course), there was a double paged article on a new singer/songwriter's debut album.

An artist as recommended by Sir Bri' of Eno, no less, is miss Anna Calvi. I mention it on here as Eno's attention on something may strike a chord, for he 'raved about her phenomenal music'. The old hound clearly with his youthful eye still on the look-out for a fat lady from Limbourg apparently wanted to be 'her protector', going as far as to text Nick Cave to 'treat her well' while on tour.

Intrigued by Eno's concern for her health (she's a thin and striking looking lady from England, and not a fat one from Belgium) I checked out her "unique blend of dark atmospheric romantic pop" (says lastfm) which might well appeal to more than a few music fans on here. Too early for me to be sure if her album is for me or not, but this track sure is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrg83n0Of-o

F
F
Quote:
Somebody tell him, please!
Alex, if he hasn't got "it" by now...do you think telling him will change anything? :rolleyes:

S
S
Brian Kennedy - Get On With Your Short Life

Saw him live on Thursday night as part of Glasgows celtic connections. Fantastic voice but he needs to change his set list. As long as I can remember he always slips in his Van Morrison cover slot which is a medley of Crazy Love , Have I Told You Lately & Tupelo Honey. He does a great version of Brown Eyed Girl but only sung it live once , which would have been better. He has a vast back catalogue so should utilize it more.

An all-time electronic classic: Leftfield - Leftism.

ΤΏΤ

Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
An all-time electronic classic: Leftfield - Leftism.

ΤΏΤ
Its aged well, hard to believe its 15 years since release.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:

An artist as recommended by Sir Bri' of Eno, no less, is miss Anna Calvi. I mention it on here as Eno's attention on something may strike a chord, for he 'raved about her phenomenal music'.
My first post in this topic for 2011.

This track is fine, fine, fine. Thanks for sharing!

Inspired me (in an extremely tangental way no doubt) to put aside some time to spend with Nico

I'm a big fan of her Chelsea Girl album, but the 2007 double CD pack The Frozen Borderline takes things a lot further. It contains her two 'solo' albums - 1968's The Marble Index and 1970's Desertshore, which demonstrate her vocal and lyric range perfectly, brought out of the despair and heroin-induced madness in her head by the genius of John Cale's arrangements.

Extreme music, yes, but the ideal doorway to another world when your life is otherwise routine and inconspicuous.
You just hold you nose, raise your other hand above your head and go under...

It's terrifying in a lot of ways, lacks percussion and any kind of structure - you just have to go where it takes you. Not unlike Scott Walker's later albums.

Lyrically profound too.

Desertshore if anything, is even more intense. I read somewhere this album being described by Cale as "inevitable". Amazing that its only half an hour long - time is of no relevance.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
the 2007 double CD pack [b]The Frozen Borderline takes things a lot further. It contains her two 'solo' albums - 1968's The Marble Index and 1970's Desertshore

It's terrifying in a lot of ways, lacks percussion and any kind of structure - you just have to go where it takes you. Not unlike Scott Walker's later albums.

Lyrically profound too.
[/b]
Cheers Martin. This seems like an absolutely excellent package, and for two remastered albums its a really great price online. I have just seconds ago purchased it.

Thanks for reminding us all of these works. I look forward to indulging in its distant romanticism, and ultimately dark atmosphere, and I take your point about its lyrics also.

Quote:
Originally posted by John Taylor:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
[b] An all-time electronic classic: Leftfield - Leftism.

ΤΏΤ
Its aged well, hard to believe its 15 years since release. [/b]
It has indeed aged well. OK, there are one or two tracks that do sound a little dated now but for me the three stand-out tracks - Release The Pressure, Afro-Left and Open Up - have really stood the test of time. Lydon's vocals on Open Up are absolutely superb, really at his best.

ΤΏΤ

Page 655 of 753 1 2 653 654 655 656 657 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.