Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49432 01/11/23 08:59 AM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Following his blissfully abstract, piano-based collaborations with Harold Budd and Ruben Garcia over the last twenty years, The Arcades Project is John Foxx's first solo piano album.

This latest work has a fresh sense of wonder, as if returning to the instrument after the raging analogue noise of his last major work, 2020's Howl (by John Foxx And The Maths) necessitated a further retreat into quiet, minimal music.

The half-light, atmospheric flow of the album recalls the artist’s own series of short stories, The Quiet Man (published by Essential Works in 2020). However, as Foxx writes in an essay to accompany the album, there’s another text - by Walter Benjamin - that provides some of the inspiration, as well as the title for the new record. Foxx explains how he first came across the book; "When I was at art school, in the mid 1960's a number of obscure books were discussed and dog-eared copies often circulated. Among these The Arcades Project, by Walter Benjamin, was especially tantalising. It was often referred to, but its existence seemed no more than a rumour. In those days before the internet, you could never find a copy. Of course, all that elusiveness and mystery lent the book a legendary status."

He continues; "The book itself is a sort of stroll through new ideas emerging from the city life of Paris in the 19th and early 20th century. It was also concerned with what the French poet Baudelaire had termed flâneurism. The flâneur enjoys walking randomly, drifting with the tides on the streets, taking great pleasure in a dreamlike state of coincidentalism - being open to all the unfolding daily events of a great modern city."

The glass-roofed Parisian arcades that are described in Benjamin’s The Arcades Project, offered its citizens a chance to 'meander, dream, gather impressions' through the rows of shops and elegant apartments. Foxx in turn - 'with the piano and the help of some old electronics' - set out to create "immediate, often imperfect, gestural fragments of music and atmosphere that might allude to some momentary experience - a chance meeting, a glimpse into a garden, a coincidence, a life behind a window revealed at twilight, someone indistinct. And it all comes from walking."

Available as a Compact Disc, the full track-listing is as follows...

01. A Formal Arrangement
02. Floral Arithmetic
03. Daylight Ghost
04. In All Your Glory
05. Last Golden Light
06. Momentary Paris
07. Forgotten In Manhattan
08. The Sea Inside
09. Lovers And Strangers
10. Starlit Summer Night
11. Coincidentalism
12. This Evening

Release Date: 31 March 2023
Catalogue Number: META75CD

The Arcades Project can be pre-ordered from Townsend Records...

[Linked Image from s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com]

Rob

1 member likes this: Garden of Surreal Dreams
Wonderful news! smile!

A new Piano music album - how nice it that? I cannot wait.
Rob, are there any plans to sell it via Amazon, too?

Thank you for posting it here! wink

1 member likes this: Garden of Surreal Dreams
John Foxx said:
…"with the piano and the help of some old electronics" (I set out to create) "immediate, often imperfect, gestural fragments of music and atmosphere that might allude to some momentary experience - a chance meeting, a glimpse into a garden, a coincidence, a life behind a window revealed at twilight, someone indistinct…"

John's description has entranced me, so I must say that I'm really looking forward to hearing this for the first time!
Love the titles as well. Sounds like it's going to be a very cool album and right up my street cool

(ps: for various and many reasons I haven't engaged on this forum for simply ages – life has a habit of taking over completely sometimes!)

Just pre-ordered this. I have expectations.

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Limited to only 500 copies, The Arcades Project will shortly also be available on Transparent Blue vinyl - the full track-listing is as follows...

Side One
A1. A Formal Arrangement
A2. Floral Arithmetic
A3. Daylight Ghost
A4. In All Your Glory
A5. Last Golden Light
A6. Momentary Paris
A7. Forgotten In Manhattan

Side Two
B1. The Sea Inside
B2. Lovers And Strangers
B3. Starlit Summer Night
B4. Coincidentalism
B5. This Evening

Release Date: 23 February 2024
Catalogue Number: META75LP

The Arcades Project can be pre-ordered on vinyl from Townsend Records...

Rob

Thanks for your information, Rob. smile

Ordered a copy for my vinyl collection of John. grin

A wonderful dark blue Vinyl With great sound and a fantastic artwork. A really great collectors item.
Thank you John !.

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Limited to just five hundred copies, there's still the chance to grab a copy of John's solo piano album The Arcades Project on transparent blue vinyl from the following outlets...

Townsend Records
Electronic Sound
Burning Shed
Cargo Records
Juno Records
Rough Trade
Sister Ray Records

Rob

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.