Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45658 02/04/13 07:06 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
The Otolith Collective and The Showroom present "On Vanishing Land", a new work by British sound artists and theorists Mark Fisher and Justin Barton (londonunderlondon / The Quiet Man)

"On Vanishing Land" (2013) is a magisterial audio-essay that evokes a walk undertaken by the artists along the Suffolk coastline in 2005, from Felixstowe container port to the Anglo-Saxon burial ground at Sutton Hoo. "On Vanishing Land" integrates new compositions by digital musicians Baron Mordant, Dolly Dolly, Ekoplekz, Farmers of Vega, Gazelle Twin, John Foxx, Pete Wiseman, Raime and Skjolbrot. For the installation at The Showroom it will be accompanied by an untitled sequence of a wide range of visual references, produced in collaboration with artist Andy Sharp (English Heretic).

John will be premiering an extract from "Electricity And Ghosts".
Thursday the 7th of March, 2013 at 19:00

http://www.theshowroom.org

Discussion with Mark Fisher, Justin Barton, The Otolith Collective, John Foxx, Frances Morgan and Elizabeth Walling (Gazelle Twin).
Date : Saturday the 16th of March, 2013.
Time : 15:00 (free, no booking required)

The exhibition runs from the 6th of February through to the 5th of March (previewed on the 5th of February : 18.30 - 20.30). "On Vanishing Land" (forty-five minutes) will be played at 12:00 midday, 14:00 and 16:00, with each presentation followed by a fifty-minute image sequence.

Venue : The Showroom, 63 Penfold Street, London NW8 8PQ

Is anyone able to provide a little more information about what 'Electricity & Ghosts' might sound like. I'm guessing were not talking about conventional songs here, but is this along the lines of 'Cathedral Oceans', 'TCM', 'treated piano' or something else all together?

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

John has spoken about this in a couple of interviews.

While I can't second guess exactly what it will sound like, I understand it to be treated piano music (as per, maybe, The Quiet Man soundtracks), laid over a soundtrack of 'found recordings' made in empty rooms.
This will include echoes, footsteps, external noises etc, and all the other 'sounds' that accompany what we might normally consider to be 'silence'.

Just got my ticket so I'll be going along! smile

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

See you there then!

Will be good to have a natter

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.