Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Below is the latest press release for the forthcoming DNA Exhibition at The Horse Hospital next month. This includes a partial interview with the renowned director Alex Proyas who met with John on set during the filming of his new film Knowing during John and Louis' tour of Australia last May.

JOHN FOXX: DNA Exhibition, Horse Hospital, London on Monday the 27th of July, 2009.

If I could only make a movie as textured and evocative as John Foxx's music I would be a happy man, says Alex Proyas, the director of I, Robot, The Crow, Dark City and Knowing - this year's Number 1 Box Office hit in both the UK and the States.

Proyas is the first contributor to be announced for the forthcoming DNA Exhibition which celebrates John Foxx's influence on a wide selection of musicians, film-makers, visual artists, graphic designers and even Manga comics. The Australian director's film, GROPING, is one of a number of short films that will shown through the week-long event.

According to Proyas; The film I made at film school, inspired by John's music - really from a mainly stylistic and atmospheric perspective - is called GROPING. When it was shown at the Sydney Film Festival in the early 80's I used a section of lyrics from the early Ultravox track, Quiet Men in the programme... [i]"Waiting, we were waiting, as the traffic moved..." etc, which I found strangely fitting to the narrative... actually I almost called the film Waiting at one point. The film is about the brutal rape / murder of Kitty Genovese in NYC in the 60's but done in a very post-modern style.[/i]

John Foxx's Underpass is an absolutely seminal inspiration to me, he adds. While making Groping I actually heard Underpass for the very first time - remember it clearly - it was actually on my little bedside radio alarm very late one night - the only source of music I had in my share household room and I used to play an alternative music station here in Sydney while writing my scripts. This incredible piece of music came on and it captured me from the first riff - it seemed someone had made music from the sounds of the city traffic, that struck me immediately. I turned up the radio and listened enthralled and waited to hear who the artist was. The vocals seemed familiar but I didn't at first recognize them. When they announced John Foxx I was so excited as I obviously recognized him from Ultravox, the band I was so impressed with.

I think there's also definitely a link with John's music to my film Dark City (and probably to anything I make!). Dark City had its origins in an early script I wrote at film school at the time I was particularly enthralled by Ultravox's Systems of Romance . I imagined the opening titles would be underscored by Slow Motion. And Dislocation featured in a sequence where the detective hero is slipped a drug and has an hallucinogenic episode. So while Dark City was not specifically influenced I think the spirit of the early Ultravox and John's Metamatic album is definitely in there.

I think apart from his incredibly cinematic lyrics - John's music always conjured entire movies in my head when I listened to it - I think it is his mastery of atmosphere that has most stayed with me through the years. If I could only make a movie as textured and evocative as John's music I would be a happy man.

John Foxx, the man behind Ultravox's first three post-punk albums and his electro solo masterpiece Metamatic (described as visionary by the Klaxons), has provided new music for some of the new DNA pieces. This follows his contributions to a series of collaborative albums due for release this year - A Secret Life (with Steve Jansen and Steve D'Agostino), the debut album by Leftfield's Paul Daley and the critically acclaimed Mirrorball (with Robin Guthrie), which was described as a breathtakingly beautiful in the NME and by Q as featuring the best of both their recent works: Foxx's epic, sepulchral grandstanding and Guthrie's intricate, filmic soundscaping.

Rob

Blimey! eek

High praise indeed! Aside from that, I'll have to get Dark City out now as I've not seen it since it came out!

It's one of my favourite SF films. Brilliant.

I'd always sub-consciously known there was a link.

I thought Shifting City was influenced by Dark City but it turns that its the other way round.

Dark City is a must have on Blu-Ray. Only watched it again the other month in its newly re-cut form. cool

C
C
Have to agree that Dark City is a good, stylish Sci-Fantasy film, one of my fav’s also, and sadly under-rated. I’m not so keen on any of the directors other films, and I cant really see any connection for me in Dark City and with how I perceive and internalise Johns music, but its great to learn that someone as high profile as Proyas has cited the influence of SOR and Metamatic on his creativity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:

[b]Proyas
is the first contributor to be announced for the forthcoming DNA Exhibition which celebrates John Foxx's influence on a wide selection of musicians, film-makers, visual artists, graphic designers and even Manga comics. The Australian director's film, GROPING, is one of a number of short films that will shown through the week-long event.

According to Proyas; The film I made at film school, inspired by John's music - really from a mainly stylistic and atmospheric perspective - is called GROPING. When it was shown at the Sydney Film Festival in the early 80's I used a section of lyrics from the early Ultravox track, Quiet Men in the programme... [i]"Waiting, we were waiting, as the traffic moved..." etc, which I found strangely fitting to the narrative... actually I almost called the film Waiting at one point. The film is about the brutal rape / murder of Kitty Genovese in NYC in the 60's but done in a very post-modern style.[/i]
[/b]
I remember seeing Groping in 1980. I don't recall hearing anything resembling the track Quiet Men.

However, the film itself is amazing. Made entirely in stop motion, I recall being wowed when I saw it. Hard to believe that it was made by someone not much older than 17, if this is correct.

I'd recommend seeing it to anyone who likes avantgarde films.

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Below is the promo poster for the forthcoming DNA Exhibition...

Rob

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Below are a couple of stills from the Alex Proyas film Groping which will be screened as part of the DNA Exhibition...

Rob

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Below are a couple more stills from the Alex Proyas film Groping...

Rob

Looked around for Groping on the usual video channels and it seems impossible to find...

Anyway came across this other short by Proyas called Strange Residues youtube link .

Take a look at which section the guy heads for in the record shop at 2:18!

Some very Foxxian-type imagery going on there.

Made me think of THL's Black Hit of Space too.. wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.