Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Me too Martin – I keep hoping I get lucky and that one of the early editions plops through my letter box.

Bartons’ voice is the voice of The Quiet Man, as much as I love listening to Foxx interpret his own work, you need that distance and resignation that Barton has.

I believe the music has been specially created for the album, yes. And with so many Quiet Man stories, it’s not hard to imagine a companion volume sometime in the future. There has also been mention of it being finally realised as a book in the near future too (though I note that that particular avenue hasn’t been spoken of in all the recent Quiet Man activity)

Right, I’m off to check my letterbox again

Im still in two minds about Justin Barton doing the voice of all things Quiet Man.

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Im still in two minds about Justin Barton doing the voice of all things Quiet Man.
Me too. I ordered a copy and I'm very curios about it within the new background music John wrote for this. The art work is fantastic!
So, we will listen how Mr. Bartons voice works on it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
So, we will listen how Mr. Bartons voice works on it...
Yes thats about the same for me too Andreas. I will just have to accept it the more i play it, i suppose. The worst thing would be if this kind of material never was released at all. And the artwork is stunning. smile

C'mon lads! wink

You must understand that Foxx isn't The Quiet Man - he never was. He wasn't built to be The Quiet Man, but he was very adept at creating The Quiet Man and The Quiet Mans' world.

To have Foxx do the vocal live is something special, but for The Quiet Man to exist in any real sense, it needs to be done by someone else, with a sense of detachment and distance.

Otherwise it's a bit like finding out Stallone is gonna play the faceless Judge Dredd wink

But then, I'm used to disinterested, detached vocals - if you're on the London Underground, and happen to be on the Central Line, you may hear the following;

"Would Inspector Sands please investigate...,"

Most provincials/tourists wouldn't give it a second thought, but us Londoners know that;

Inspector Sands = GET THAT F*** OUTTA THERE!* eek

Joking aside, "Inspector Sands" is when an alarm has been activated, and London Underground need to investigate without causing pandemonium. In some stations it's a prerecorded message from the 1950s (try Notting Hill - I'm not kidding) connected to the PA system. It's quite odd in the 21st Century, when an RSC/BBC voice tells you in code, what's going on.

And this is what The Quiet Man is. John Foxx, as Dennis Leigh as a series of coded messages via John Foxx via The Quiet Man.

I have no idea who Justin Barton is, and I don't care to. Just as long as his - disinterested, detached and all too human vocal is The Quiet Man - that's good enough for me.

Gazza

For those about to rock...and run...
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Sands

For general subliminal public warnings of mass destuction...
http://www.b3ta.com/board/4/8/1/2/9/3

Administrator
Administrator
yeah - what he said!

Go Gazza. Thanks for presenting my thoughts on The Quiet Man so eloquently cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
yeah - what he said!

"Will Birdsong see Inspector Sands Immediately..." laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] yeah - what he said!

"Will Birdsong see Inspector Sands Immediately..." laugh [/b]
I have a feeling you wont need to announce it twice. laugh

Quote:
To have Foxx do the vocal live is something special, but for The Quiet Man to exist in any real sense, it needs to be done by someone else, with a sense of detachment and distance.
This is the reason why im in two minds still Garry. Partly i want the detached distance views from a 'third party', but then i want John to read what is after all, his work, and he would know best, maybe, how to convey the imagery.

Its a tricky one, but being relistic, with the workload that John has, it cant always be done by himself anyway. And i suppose in some way, the live quiet man is made all that more special by the infrequence of John for every reading.

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] yeah - what he said!

"Will Birdsong see Inspector Sands Immediately..." laugh [/b]
I have a feeling you wont need to announce it twice. laugh [/b]
IT'S WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

Anti-Bartons' vs Pro-Barton's!!!!!!

Birdsong and I will form an "Intellectual Collective"....

"The rest shall keep as they are!"

laugh

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.