Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#702 11/29/08 09:20 PM
I like both, but 'Impossible' has more to 'say' musically for me. It fits more with the original feel of the lyric, although not as well as the album version.
Thanks to all involved for these. smile

#703 11/29/08 09:26 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris The Robot.:

Does make me wonder though why they weren't
perhaps included on Glimmer ?
eek eek

1. They're not the 'best' of John Foxx

2. Then they wouldn't be a special gift/thank you thingie

3. They weren't done then

Loads of reasons...

The only thing that I find a little irritating is that the actual download links themselves aren't on the JF homepage at Townsend, thus bypassing the need to 'register' at the site and go to a 'special page'.

I do hope there's no ulterior motive behind that, and I'm sure it will actually limit the numbers of people who bother.
Easy enough just to email the tracks to one another though, surely? wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#704 11/30/08 04:19 PM
it's obviously to get you on the Townsend newsletter list but I see no harm in that.
Thanks again.

#705 11/30/08 06:18 PM
This kind of remix is what remixes should be like! So many either ruin the song or sound so far away from the original that it's barely recognisable.

These remixes stay true to the original song idea and structure, yet bring in something new that is both fitting with the idea of the song but offers a suitably different alternative.

#706 11/30/08 07:06 PM
T
T
Cool, thanks for the downloads! Neither particularly leaps out at me (yet) but I do like Jori very much. Great stuff.

#707 11/30/08 07:09 PM
I wasn't sure the first time I heard the remixes, but they have definitely grown on me over the weekend. A first class effort. Thank you to everyone involved in making this happen.

#708 12/01/08 11:32 AM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
This kind of remix is what remixes should be like! So many either ruin the song or sound so far away from the original that it's barely recognisable.

These remixes stay true to the original song idea and structure, yet bring in something new that is both fitting with the idea of the song but offers a suitably different alternative.
Sorry Alex, have to disagree with you there. In my opinion these Hulkonnen remixes are lazy, unimaginative and bring absolutely nothing new to either song.

When the idea of remixing first became popular in the 1980s, the technology of the day placed limitations on the amount of sampling time available so as a consequence an awful lot of remixes from that time consisted of little more than one of two vocal phrases over an 8 bar loop repeated over and over again. These remixes are remarkably similar.

Yes, the odd synth part comes in and out but there's hardly any melody, harmony or development - it's all just flat and repetitive and the original chord structures have been done away with and replaced with....well....just a dirge.

Okay, so they're free so we can't complain too much, but a remix really should bring something new and unexpected to a song. These sounds like they were the first attempts of a 12 year old with a "Teach yourself to remix" book and a General Midi Synth module.

I don't doubt that Jori Hulkkonnen might be a nice bloke, but once more he's proved that he's way out of his depth as a songwriter or remixer. An artist of John's stature really ought to be able to find a better collaborator than this.

#709 12/01/08 11:42 AM
You're free to disagree with me - I have no problem with that!

I have to say I've only played these once each. So those were my initial impressions. As I have said before, I'm no fan of remixes at all. I elected to give these a chance because they were free, and they were by Jori, and I loved 'Dislocated'. So with that in mind, I knew there would be elements I liked.

That said, I hope this isn't the first of more remixes. I don't see John as a 'remix' artist and certainly wouldn't buy an album of remixes.

#710 12/01/08 02:45 PM
Still playing the new remixes, even though im not a fan of remixes either. They maybe not as good as 'Dislocated', but imo better than the remixes of 'Dislocated'. So i can see some improvement in Jori's output with John overall.

#711 12/01/08 04:24 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:

I don't doubt that Jori Hulkkonnen might be a nice bloke, but once more he's proved that he's way out of his depth as a songwriter or remixer. An artist of John's stature really ought to be able to find a better collaborator than this.
eek eek

Don't forget that only one each of the Dislocated and Never Let Me Go remixes is done by Jori...

Interesting comments though - I think he's a genius and a really inspiring example of the innovative music coming out of Scandinavia at the moment

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.