Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#559 08/20/08 09:58 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
Was n't there an extended version of "A Kind Of Wave" i'm sure I have a vinyl 12 inch of that in my collection.

There is along with extended versions of Like A Miracle, Wings and a Wind , Stars on Fire , Stairway (Hiding in Plain Sight) and possibly Enter the Angel .

Anyhow, we have them somewhere in our collection. laugh

Chris

#560 08/20/08 09:59 AM
Administrator
Administrator
We mustn't forget that this release is a 'best of', not 'just' a collection of all the rare and otherwise unavailable bits and pieces that we think exist somewhere but maybe haven't heard before.

We, as the 'hardcore' of fans, probably have versions of most of these odd tracks anyway. So if they are not of decent quality and don't necessarily fit in with a marketing plan to raise profile etc, there is no point randomly 'adding' them to carefully planned releases that target a generic audience.

That could actually be counter productive

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#561 08/20/08 10:52 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
[b]

I wonder if the various alternative versions of the tracks from the Golden Section era form what would have been the mythical "In The Glow" project circa 1982, which John apparently shelved when he had fresh inspiration for what eventually became "The Golden Section"?
I'm pretty sure they are. This is the other highlight for me.

It's such a wonderful feeling that after so many years, when we were trying to find out as much about the mysterious ex-Ultravox singer who released some solo brilliant albums and singles, a lot of our wishes have now been realised.

I now wish that these reissues sell well so that John can release more of his recordings from the box in his attic, especially for the descerning group of admirers we represent. smile

Chris [/b]
It's curious that from the ten original tracks that made The Golden Section ie Someone, Your Dress, Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers and Ghosts on Water are exclusive to this album. Ghosts on Water and Someone have that psychedelic feel that would make them seem as works-in-progress for the In The Glow project.

Your Dress, believe it or not, is John's audition for Roxy Music or The Explorers. Such were the rumours that they appear to be correct.

Chris wink

#562 08/20/08 11:33 AM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
Well done, John, Steve & [b]Rob (and all others involved) ... I hope you got the artwork just right. wink :rolleyes: [/b]
It was all looking good when I checked it through again last night. As usual, I think that Paul Agar has done a great job with all of the artwork...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
This all sounds very exciting - more from the vaults than we bargained for! My real interest is in these extra tracks, and this is just the sort of thing I'd be very happy to buy online as MP3 or whatever.
The Garden contains five previously unreleased tracks and two (Swimmer III and Swimmer IV) which have been unavailable since 1983, The Golden Section contains eight previously unreleased tracks and In Mysterious Ways contains six previously unreleased tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Rob - do you know if these will also be available digitally, either on iTunes or through Townsend?
There is every intention to make all of these albums available digitally. I will post full details of where they can be purchased just as soon as I'm advised myself.

Quote:
Another solved mystery. The Quiet Man tracks are indeed from the same group of recordings as the Swimmer tracks. (Why didn't I think of that before! :rolleyes: ). To call them Swimmer now is a positive mood. This would leave John to record a fresh set of tracks for his on-going project The Quiet Man which, as we all know, is very much alive these days.
The reason to rename the Quiet Man tracks (which appeared on the Touch Meridians tapes : One and Two ) was so that there wouldn't be any confusion in people thinking that we had included Ultravox tracks on The Garden by mistake. Changing their names (from The Quiet Man 3 to Swimmer III and from The Quiet Man 4 to Swimmer IV) made more sense as there were two tracks entitled Swimmer which had already been ear-marked for inclusion on The Garden. So these two tracks aren't therefore necessarily from the same sessions as their namesakes.

Quote:
Well Auntie Beeb has a predeliction for releasing their radio sessions. So with the flood of John's releases, but of solid quality of course, who knows.

"That electronic pioneer is very good. What's his name? John Foxx. Let's release them now at the height of the 80s revival!"

Watch this space...
There are NO plans at the moment for the BBC to formally release any of the radio sessions that John did with them. Just wishful thinking I'm afraid. frown

Quote:
It's curious that from the ten original tracks that made [b]The Golden Section ie Someone, Your Dress, Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers and Ghosts on Water are exclusive to this album. Ghosts on Water and Someone have that psychedelic feel that would make them seem as works-in-progress for the In The Glow project.[/b]
In The Glow was the name of the album which was to have followed The Garden - for a number of reasons that album (in that format) was never released, but a number of the tracks which were recorded for it came out as B'sides and extra tracks. In the same way Ultravox didn't have a Torque Point project - it was just a 'working title' for the album that eventually became Vienna - so In The Glow was just the name of what ultimately became The Golden Section.

Quote:
[b]Your Dress, believe it or not, is John's audition for Roxy Music or The Explorers. Such were the rumours that they appear to be correct.[/b]
Are you absolutely sure about this? 'Cos I'm not.

Rob

#563 08/20/08 11:36 AM
Mmmmmmmmm...all those boxes of tapes that John has archived...in my head I imagine it's like the end scene of the warehouse in Raiders of The Lost Ark laugh

Right, I'll get the stick - who's got the map and that shiny round gold thing with the jewel in it? wink

#564 08/20/08 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Mmmmmmmmm...all those boxes of tapes that John has archived...in my head I imagine it's like the end scene of the warehouse in Raiders of The Lost Ark laugh

Right, I'll get the stick - who's got the map and that shiny round gold thing with the jewel in it? wink
The German Guy has it burned onto the inside of his hand - Herr X (Mr Touch & Go) of course! wink

#565 08/20/08 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] Mmmmmmmmm...all those boxes of tapes that John has archived...in my head I imagine it's like the end scene of the warehouse in Raiders of The Lost Ark laugh

The German Guy has it burned onto the inside of his hand - Herr X (Mr Touch & Go) of course! wink [/b]
Right Brian - you get the German, I'll get the stick and round up a few camels - We'll get to that tape collection even if it kills us!

...I just need to ask Hackney City Farm if they've got any camels... wink

#566 08/20/08 04:17 PM
C
C

#567 08/20/08 07:04 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:

I cannot access the interview so I don't know what was John's reply to "How he was asked to join Roxy Music". Has anybody got John's reply that we can all share?
While I fundamentally disagree with most of your post Chris, I do have the radio nottingham interview and can confirm the transcript runs like this:
(bear in mind this was 2003, a question that appeared quite random when John was on air to promote crash and burn, and he was recollecting events from 25 years previously).

The interview does not address 'how' he was asked to join Roxy, it just refers to the fact that he (allegedly) was. More attention is paid to a similar anecdote about The Clash.

NB - Why did you turn down that gig?
JF - well, it wasn't my kind of band, really. Much as I love them (and I think they're a briliant band) it wasn't what I wanted to do, at the time. I was more interested in solo electronics. And I didn't want to be in a band again anyway

There is (and never has been to my knowledge) any hint that John 'auditioned' for Roxy Music.

Dislocated - Jori Hulkonnen:
Records of my actions
Are mostly assumptions
Not observations...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#568 08/20/08 09:36 PM
T
T
Great stuff Rob et al, many thanks for posting, I look forward to these with watering mouth. I am a Swimmer in my own mouth. Some of my favourite songs in alternative versions, can't wait! laugh

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.