Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#549 08/20/08 09:17 AM
H
H
Just one slight disappointment for me is that "Hanging In The Air" hasn't made it onto the IMW bonus disc, which seems curiously light compared to the other re-releases. Of course this could be because there simply isn't as much unreleased material from that era, but as John thought "Hanging In The Air" good enough to play live on a Radio One session, it's a shame he never got round to making a studio recording of it.

Or did he, and it's buried on one of those cassettes in that big box in his attic? wink

#550 08/20/08 09:22 AM
C
C
I presume it is with his version of The Shadow of Your Smile. I wonder if the exclusive Osaka track is on the reissue. Time and Again or something like that?

Chris wink

#551 08/20/08 09:34 AM
The Osaka track sounds like something that was improvised live, so I doubt there's ever been a proper recording of it, live or otherwise.

I wonder if there's a similar reason for not including Hanging in The Air and The Shadow of Your Smile? It would be far too expensive to get the rights from Auntie Beeb for their use and perhaps no proper studio recordings exist anyhow. Afterall, the only versions we know were from a radio session that was recorded just prior to a tour - they may just have been something that grew out of rehearsing the live shows.

#552 08/20/08 09:35 AM
It will be interesting to hear the early version of To Be With You, curiously on IMW...

#553 08/20/08 09:35 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:

I wonder if the various alternative versions of tracks from the Golden Section era form what would have been the mythical "In The Glow" project circa 1982, which John apparently shelved when he had fresh inspiration for what eventually became "The Golden Section"?
I'm pretty sure they are. This is the other highlight for me.

It's such a wonderful feeling that after so many years, when we were trying to find out as much about the mysterious ex-Ultravox singer who released some solo brilliant albums and singles, a lot of our wishes have now been realised.

I now wish that these reissues sell well so that John can release more of his recordings from the box in his attic, especially for the descerning group of admirers we represent. smile

Chris

#554 08/20/08 09:41 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
It would be far too expensive to get the rights from Auntie Beeb for their use and perhaps no proper studio recordings exist anyhow. Afterall, the only versions we know were from a radio session that was recorded just prior to a tour - they may just have been something that grew out of rehearsing the live shows.
Well Auntie Beeb has a predeliction for releasing their radio sessions. So with the flood of John's releases, but of solid quality of course, who knows.

"That electronic pioneer is very good. What's his name? John Foxx. Let's release them now at the height of the 80s revival!"

Watch this space...

Chris
wink

#555 08/20/08 09:47 AM
Was n't there an extended version of "A Kind Of Wave" i'm sure I have a vinyl 12 inch of that in my collection.

"The Golden Section" looks very interesting to me as does "The Garden". IMW looks a little light on CD2 but excellent work in pulling the rare gems together.

Gary

#556 08/20/08 09:50 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:

Tracks 07 and 08 on Disc Two of [b]The Garden
were originally titled The Quiet Man 3 and The Quiet Man 4 respectively.

[/b]
Another solved mystery. The Quiet Man tracks are indeed from the same group of recordings as the Swimmer tracks. (Why didn't I think of that before! :rolleyes: ). To call them Swimmer now is a positive mood. This would leave John to record a fresh set of tracks for his on-going project The Quiet Man which, as we all know, is very much alive these days.

Long live art!

Chris wink

#557 08/20/08 09:53 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
It will be interesting to hear the early version of To Be With You, curiously on IMW...
Why curiously?

I expect that's the period during which it was recorded. Either that or it 'fits' better at that point than anywhere else

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#558 08/20/08 09:57 AM
Well given that the version we know is on Metamatic, I had associated it with that electronic period. It'll certainly be interesting to se how it differs.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.