Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48872 01/14/17 04:24 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Sad to hear news of the untimely death of hauntologist, thinker and acclaimed writer Mark Fisher yesterday (13th Jan 2017)

http://thequietus.com/articles/21567-mark-fisher-dies-rip

Among many other things, Mark wrote enthusiastically and critically on Foxx, particularly in respect of Cathedral Oceans and Tiny Colour Movies.

He wrote the sleevenotes to the GLIMMER compilation in 2008 and sent me the text of it for the archive. His work on LondonUnderLondon and the Quiet Man is an especial favourite of mine and introudce me to the whole concept of hauntology, psychogeography and 'ghosts'

We had coffee several times, and I last met him in 2011 at the Showroom in Camden.
His blog - k-punk (abstract dynamics) was a favourite of mine, and he has written extensively for FACT magazine reviewing John's work

May he Rest in Peace frown

Last edited by Birdsong; 01/14/17 04:37 PM.
Birdsong #48877 01/15/17 06:34 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Here is John Foxx epitaph of Mark Fisher (reproduced from facebook)

Incredibly sad to hear of this.

Mark was a major force in cultural analysis and criticism, forged many original tools with which to examine our strange cultural and political ecologies. That these have become useful to new generations of writers is a testament to his generosity and originality.
I met him when he was a student - he'd co -founded the Warwick University Cybernetic Culture Research Unit. I was impressed right away. The material he produced was frighteningly original and penetrating, and shot through with an impressive energy - it was clear he was in a tearing hurry to embrace and understand the lot, no compromise. He never changed, except that his output, skill and articulacy increased as he matured.
It was a real privilege to work on some of his projects and I will always remain grateful to him, often having drawn strength from his affirmation of some of the more spectral, evanescent and overlooked aspects of the world.
Lately, I think everyone felt that, after creating his own great sea of possibilities, he was now perfectly poised to explore it all.
We've lost a great friend, a fine, fearlessly honest but truly gentle man, a marvellous mind and one of the few sources of modern intellectual devices capable of dissecting the post-truth universe.

Our thoughts are with his family and close friends.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #48881 01/17/17 08:19 PM
T
T
Very sad to hear. Enjoyed at the very least his Foxxian writings, and probably much else besides, including a piece on Sapphire and Steel which I have since rediscovered without realising at the time that it was him.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.