Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
It arrived yesterday so I've only played it 2-3 times so far. It's a beautiful work and as usual – beautifully wrapped too.
I’m glad I avoided the teaser mp3s as well – I get the impression it really does work as one continuous piece – as you say Feline – almost Zeit in places.

Dunno what my top 5 Foxx Ambient albums would be (My Lost City, London Overgrown, Nighthawks…argh no! Stoppit! I’m thinking in lists now!), but the sheer wall of majesty in Codex…I’ll give it some more time but it’s got to be up there I reckon (blimey – might not even be enough space for a Cathedral Oceans album in that 5 – who’d a thunk it?)

F
F
Cathedral Oceans 1 and 3 earn special brownie points with me for being in 5.1 surround sound, I guess - so much more immersive.

The problem with these albums in stereo (on speakers) is that they're basically "some nice sounds drenched in reverb" - i.e. evoking the reverbation of a massive space - but with stereo speakers, that massive space is localised along the wall of the room in front of you, which is psychoacoustically a bit odd.
(Works much better in headphones! as then it's just "all round your head").

Got My copy yesterday.
After one listen I have to say it's a very nice album - music and artwork.
Will listen to it more the next days.

I'd have to say the first Cathedral Oceans. The sheer joy of walking into Sister Ray and after checking the F section for yeeeeeears - suddenly, it was there! And next to it another album called Shifting City with some other bloke! Crazy times!

I can't recall the birthdays of various friends and family, but I remember that day grin

Codex is just getting better and better on each listen - and I love filling the room with it.

I've had this for over a week and quite like it.

I agree that it's more of a headphones album.

First track to me sounds like a CO track with the vocal replaced with the violin which really works for me.

Other tracks remind me a bit of the 2001:A Space Odessey soundtrack which I'd only watched a few weeks ago for the first time in years.

So I'm getting a bleak Sci-fi vibe from this album.

I will give it 4/5.

Brian

Administrator
Administrator
I'm stuck on a 2 rising 3 at the moment.

It falls well short of London Overgrown in my opinion

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
For me, they generate two completely different atmospheres - I really couldn't connect or compare one to the other.

Administrator
Administrator

I agree they come from (and lead to) different places and can't be compared.

Just prefer one to the other, that's all laugh

Administrator
Administrator

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

This is a surprisingly good album.*

* LO was a disappointment.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.