Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47246 07/15/14 08:33 AM
The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive

Ten artists have each provided a track showing their individual interpretation of a field recording of nightingale bird song made by Phil Cleaver at Glapthorn Cow Pastures. The resulting album, entitled Nightingale Variations, is due to be released in September this year.

The source music was nine minutes of recorded nightingale bird song which was then offered to various different artists to see what the could come up with from it; using the recording however they wished just so long as it was used in some part.

The artists who have contributed are (in alphabetical order): Oliver Cherer (Dollboy), John Foxx, Andrew Liles (Nurse With Wound, Current 93, Faust), Laurie Laptop (The Durutti Column), Micronormous (Mathew Eaton Pram), Slipstream, Michael Tanner (Plinth A Lords), Mark Tranmer (gnac), Windy and Carl and Woodcraft Folk.

The nine minute recording of male nightingale bird song was recorded during the early; spring when the unpaired male nightingale shows off its loud, melodic and percussive song as it looks to attract a mate and defend the bird's territory. The song of the nightingale has been described as one of the most beautiful sounds in nature. Loud, with an impressive range of whistles, trills and gurgles, it has been inspiring songs, fairy tales, opera, books, and a great deal of poetry over many years.

I've been advised that John's contribution is entitled A Small Wood In A Big World. whistle

For more information about this project, please point your browser here...

Rob

Last edited by Birdsong; 11/02/14 05:25 PM.
Administrator
Administrator

Cheers for posting Rob.

I have fond memories of spring and summer evenings in Glapthorn Cow Pastures between Corby and Northampton.
A totally unique piece of habitat - and especially good for Nightingale and the nationally rare Black Hairstreak.

Once upon a yesterday, it was also a national stronghold for just about the UK's only wild population of Golden Pheasant.

It's a bit like Highgate Cemetery now - all tidied up and 'managed' frown

No surprise that Foxx has become involved with this project - I look forward to hearing his ideas, and hope its the first of many similar things

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Living in the north west I've never had the pleasure of seeing or hearing a Nightingale.Or Cuckoo or Turtle Dove come to think of it. I need to venture out more to experience such pleasures!

Now, that is interesting! On birdsong polls, warblers and thrushes often cash more points than nightingale, but they more or less mock other birds - nightingale has original sounds. Warblers sing jazz but nightingale does tekno - it is the kraftwerk of bird concert. Nightingale is also easily recorded - loud bird who allows people to approach it. I often use nightingale sounds in my playing. Here's thrush nightingale from Finland:
https://soundcloud.com/beta5/luscinia-luscinia

Administrator
Administrator

Fantastic as usual - thanks Karwin laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Any developments? No news at the record company website that I can see, and we're three weeks into September.

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Steve Roby
Any developments? No news at the record company website that I can see, and we're three weeks into September.

I've not been given any further information either. I'll see what I can find out... cool

Rob

Administrator
Administrator

I've been in touch with the site and main man Phil Cleaver, but he hasn't responded yet either.

No news at all

Administrator
Administrator

Hi folks...

The long awaited album NIGHTINGALE VARIATIONS will be available in the next few weeks from Kooky Music and all good shops. It will retail at £10 incl P&P worldwide

The track list and running order is as follows:

1 A Small Wood In A Big World - John Foxx

2 Apollyan in D - Michael Tanner

3 Fly - Slipstream

4 Migration - Micronormous

5 uguisubari - Mark Tranmer

6 Glass Bells - Woodcraft Folk

7 Night - Windy and Carl

8 Annie - Andrew Liles (Nurse With Wound, Current 93, Faust)

9 Silva Pslamus - Laurie Laptop (Durutti Column)

10 Judy Makes Three - Oliver Cherer

Administrator
Administrator

Released officially on 24th November.

Available NOW via the Kooky Records website

http://music.kookydisc.co.uk/2014/10/nightingale-variations-kookydisc-37.html

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Released officially on 24th November. Available NOW via the Kooky Records website

The MP3 version is also available to buy on Amazon.

Rob

Administrator
Administrator

Cool, but don't just buy the John Foxx track...

These things ALWAYS sound much better in the right context laugh

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
Cool, but don't just buy the John Foxx track...

These things ALWAYS sound much better in the right context laugh

The album is now also available to pre-order on CD from Amazon.

Rob

Administrator
Administrator

At last I have written a review of this beautiful and engaging album.
You can read it here:

http://translatedbirdsong.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/nightingale-variations-various-artists

If you want wink

T
T
Nice piece Martin! I almost was a birder myself once (although I enjoyed the field guides more than the fields). Thanks for filling in the blanks!

I might try this one on download and sample before I buy. Good word, sample. Thanks for your impressions.

Administrator
Administrator

You won't be disappointed Mark - I think some of the tracks in particular will 'tick'your box

Thanks for your comments

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.