Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RadioBeach #46086 05/16/13 12:34 PM
An item of interest regarding the TOTP performance of Europe After The Rain can be seen here.

It's the official BBC disc of the TOTP episode showing that JF actually opened the show.

Oddly the actual broadcast date isn't shown although I'm guessing 03.09.81 as it gives a release date of '8th September' ie. a few days after.
Maybe this info is given on the Metadelic DVD?

Also strange is that the number one single at the time, Soft Cell's Tainted Love, is nowhere to be seen.

Martin...any ideas?

MemberD #46088 05/16/13 03:32 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD
An item of interest regarding the TOTP performance of Europe After The Rain can be seen here.

It's the official BBC disc of the TOTP episode showing that JF actually opened the show.

Oddly the actual broadcast date isn't shown although I'm guessing 03.09.81 as it gives a release date of '8th September' ie. a few days after.

Also strange is that the number one single at the time, Soft Cell's Tainted Love, is nowhere to be seen.

The item you referred to is more usually known as a BBC Transcription Disc, and these weren't intended for the general public. Instead, they were produced in very small numbers (usually around a hundred copies each) by the BBC as a way of licencing their programmes to overseas broadcasters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Transcription_Services

The discs were never intended to be a literal reproduction of the 'corresponding' television show. Instead, it's more likely that a disc would've principally included material which set it apart from its predecessors. So that could explain why (in this instance) Tainted Love was omitted - especially if that track had been included on a previous Transcription Disc.

I'll check to see if the accompanying documentation is an accurate representation of the track-listing.

Rob

MemberD #46090 05/16/13 04:27 PM
T
T
What could have been even better than John Foxx performing on TOTPs? John Foxx performing on TOTPs backed by Legs and Co 'dancing like a gun'. laugh

T
T
Looking forward to this one. Great stuff Martin, looking forward to reading your words.

I am either having a memory hole or I was never aware there was a June radio session! Great, looking forward to hearing a new version of "Stars on Fire". Pleased also to see the 12 inch mixes - is the Sparkle mix a new one or was it made back in the day?

Nice cover too, good to see that photo gracing a front cover.

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Pleased also to see the 12 inch mixes - is the Sparkle mix a new one or was it made back in the day?

The Sparkle Mix of Endlessly was recorded 'back in the day' and has been unreleased until now.

Rob

Rob Harris #46097 05/17/13 06:38 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

The artwork for this release is stunning!

The photo on the cover gives nothing away. The booklet inside is really something else.

Rob Harris #46098 05/17/13 07:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

The item you referred to is more usually known as a BBC Transcription Disc, and these weren't intended for the general public. Instead, they were produced in very small numbers (usually around a hundred copies each) by the BBC as a way of licencing their programmes to overseas broadcasters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Transcription_Services

The discs were never intended to be a literal reproduction of the 'corresponding' television show. Instead, it's more likely that a disc would've principally included material which set it apart from its predecessors. So that could explain why (in this instance) Tainted Love was omitted - especially if that track had been included on a previous Transcription Disc.

I'll check to see if the accompanying documentation is an accurate representation of the track-listing.

Rob

Cheers Rob (sorry, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of forum replies, don't know why..)
I'd imagined theses discs were something like that.

I also vaguely (but very vaguely) remember OMD being on the same show with 'Souvenir'...

Rob Harris #46102 05/17/13 10:49 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot
I have to admit to a certain disappointment with the tracklisting; whilst obviously the whole point of the release is to bring together John's more psychedelic music, it's a pity there isn't any previously unreleased material - the mythical "In The Glow" sessions, the "Identification Of A Woman" soundtrack or perhaps even the 1993 "Blitz" sessions.

I've tried to give as much information about the (mythical) In The Glow album (and what tracks it may have contained) a number of times before - most recently on another thread. All that I can now do is to research it further and see what else (if anything) I can uncover.

Regarding the soundtrack to Identification of Woman. John's contribution to that film was only a few pieces of music - it's far from being an entire soundtrack. A number of other artists also contributed - including Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Japan, Peter Baumann, Tangerine Dream, XTC and Steve Hillage.

As it stands it's difficult to see who "Metadelic" is aimed at; too obscure for the casual fan, nothing new for the diehards like ourselves.

Metadelic includes an entire disc's worth of material (fourteen tracks) which has never been on CD before - including a previously unreleased version of Endlessly - the Sparkle Mix. The accompanying DVD features all of the promotional videos from between 1981 through to 1985 - including the Top Of The Pops performance of Europe After The Rain which has never been previously released officially in any format.

Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to see a new John Foxx CD and of course it'll be nice to finally have the Radio sessions and 12" mixes on CD, it just feels like a missed opportunity to shut up people like me who've been banging on about unreleased material for years!

Regarding the five tracks (Meeting Venus, Sailing On Sunshine, Dancing Like A Gun, Eurotrash and Through My Sleeping) which John recorded (with Robin Simon, Paul Simon and Sue Rachel) back in 1993 under the name Blitz. Just because these tracks exist doesn't mean that they should be made available.

The same applies to the two BBC Session tracks mentioned previously - Shine On and The Shadow Of Your Smile.

Ultimately, whether or not material gets released depends on a number of things (copyright, availability, quality, performance, etc.) but in the end it always comes down to John, and while we may not always agree with his decision, we should at least respect it.

Rob

Rob, many thanks for the response. I didn’t realize just how many factors you need to take into account when planning a release such as this! And I must stress also that my posts are borne out of a combination of curiosity and mild frustration rather than “having a dig”, as I know you and others on here have put a great deal of effort into this and many other releases from John’s ever-burgeoning back catalogue.

Nonetheless, the growth of the internet, streaming audio and file sharing means that “previously unreleased on CD” material isn’t quite as alluring as it once might have been. CD1 could probably be replicated as a Spotify playlist in a matter of minutes by the average web user, the 1980s videos are freely available on Youtube and the Radio 1 sessions were doing the rounds of users of this very forum back in 2007 on this ‘ere thread.

http://www.metamatic.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/22418/1

I will of course be buying Metadelic, but I can’t help feeling that throwing in a handful of not just unreleased but previously unavailable anywhere else tracks might have tipped the balance and made this an essential purchase not just for me but for everyone else with an interest in John’s more psychedelic output.

MemberD #46103 05/17/13 10:54 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: MemberD

Martin...any ideas?

Ah, memories!

http://www.metamatic.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/30853/Why_wasn_t_Europe_After_The_Ra

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I think you make some really good and considered points there, Herbert.

The interweb has changed the 'availability' of all kinds of things and nothing is as 'rare and unreleased' as it was back in the day.
The whole dynamic of things is changing, recording contracts etc and all manner of Things AIn't What They Used To Be.

The same applies to the forum itself. In the current of social networking and the like, this place has struggled to keep up and meet the challenge of being up to date with news, chat etc. People (on the whole) go to Twitter and Facebook for news and exchange, and extracts of new material seep out through Soundcloud, youtube etc.

It is very difficult to keep up with all that. The points you made strike that particular nail resonantly and I'm sure all that is / will be taken into account when planning the context of future releases etc.

There is still a (very strong case) for tangible product though, and many many people (especially the hardcore of fans) want high-quality 'versions' of material in a CD collection. That's just what we like. Take the 12" singles form the 80s, for example. People have been baying for those on CD for years, and Metadelic is the perfect opportunity to fulfill that particular demand. And yet, I'm sure most people as you say, will already have recordings of them via bootlegs etc which are not hard to get among members of the forum.

An interesting conundrum.

All of which affects pricing too - this is an exceptionally good value release with some lovely artwork and images you won't have seen before.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.