Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Alex S #45550 01/17/13 06:51 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Yeah, the deluxe version has 17 tracks I think - I bought today's NME, which has both a Bowie cover and Berlin feature, but more importantly an(other) interview with Tony Visconti, who says they worked on 29 songs; several being unsuitable for this particular album, so it really does sound like there's life in the old diamond dog yet smile

Ooh, that sounds interesting, thanks for that Alex, I'll have a look at that one.

Well, when he came "back" with Let's Dance, I kind of sniggered thinking old men can't rock! Then thought he was actually kind of cool for doing so at such an advanced age. Then he kept going! Impressive.

And now he's back again, and boy was I disappointed with "Where are we now?". I found it bland and somewhat unexciting, but the video was great. So "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" is such a relief, as it to me, it sounds like Bowie on form again, and makes me crave to hear more.

solenoid #45770 02/28/13 09:48 AM
C
C
first listen of Where Are We Now had me commenting that it was laid-back, I was initially nonplussed by it, and some of the lyrics felt a bit clumsy, and yet on that same day (excuse the pun) I found myself playing it many more times, in fact it's chorus though seemingly unassuming just kept returning to mind for days after, it's a thought-provoking song. I'm glad that The Stars wasn't first choice of single, it's an average anybody rock-out number, nothing alternative, and gives me vibes of that whole (for me) disconnected and forgettable long time kicked off around the Glass Spider period. The reviews for the album though are exceptionally good!

core memory #45772 02/28/13 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: core memory
first listen of Where Are We Now had me commenting that it was laid-back, I was initially nonplussed by it, and some of the lyrics felt a bit clumsy, and yet on that same day (excuse the pun) I found myself playing it many more times, in fact it's chorus though seemingly unassuming just kept returning to mind for days after, it's a thought-provoking song. I'm glad that The Stars wasn't first choice of single, it's an average anybody rock-out number, nothing alternative, and gives me vibes of that whole (for me) disconnected and forgettable long time kicked off around the Glass Spider period. The reviews for the album though are exceptionally good!

Vive la difference! wink

solenoid #45834 03/13/13 11:39 AM
It's difficult to put into words just how exciting it is to have new music from David after such a long time… and new music that sees him fully energised and back where he belongs. An album that pinpoints several key album styles – both a fantastic contemporary work yet something which also sits alongside any classic Bowie vintage. And his voice hasn't sounded this good in ages.

It's more rock than pop; being heavily guitar driven. Even the one or two songs that on first impressions you don't like, end up sticking in your head. "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" is perhaps the album's most commercial track, if you like, so was an obvious choice for a single release. But this is a dense album, and the kind that demands multiple listens before the golden moments really start to emerge. After the first couple of plays, "Love is Lost" was the standout track for me, but I don't doubt that there will soon be more.

But I'm not going to ramble on or churn out some arty farty review. This is a David Bowie album after all, and it speaks for itself.

Welcome back, David!

MemberD #45850 03/14/13 02:01 PM
All really good tracks, except that Drum n Bass one (I really wish he'd stop doing that) - it's just poorly sequenced for me.

The album doesn't start to come together as an album until Valentine's Day and beyond. The tracks prior to that are good, just in a mish-mash of order. And Heat - good, but it's a straight rip of The Electrician by The Walker Brothers! It's quite breathtaking how much of The Electrician he has ...um..'borrowed'.

A good, solid Bowie album - but not the adventurous one I was expecting. Some are comparing it to The Lodger and I can hear why.

RadioBeach #45854 03/15/13 08:45 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Agreed that's there's not much here not to like .. My faves so far are Stars Are Out Tonight (still reminds me of China Girl tho . .), I'd Rather Be High, Love Is Lost.

Where Are We Now stands out like a sore thumb, although comes as welcome respite from all the dense rock-ness.

Heat must be some kind of homage to Scott Walker (see RB's comment above).

The bonus tracks are little more than half-finished ideas although I like So She..

What's amazing for me is his voice which is so strong and versatile after all these years .. although the sceptic in me may suggest that there's a lot more technology these days to help vocalists along..

9/10

MemberD #45855 03/15/13 10:44 AM
I thin what helps the vocals is the fact they're so multi-layered. I always thought the vocals on Reality were awful, but maybe with 10 years' rest... who knows! But vocally it is a brilliant album, wading from style to style.

Bowie has always openly admitted the influence of Scott Walker - evident on 1993's comeback album Black Tie, White Noise and again here.

Love is Lost... How does the Grass Grow... Boss of Me and Heat are all favourites. I'm also hearing lots of previous Bowie in here... bits of Lodger, Scary Monsters, Heroes, Aladdin Sane... and not to mention the Low style snare drums and the same drum beat from Five Years all sneaking in there too.

Uncommercial yet comfortably safe at the same time. Might not have had the same mass appeal, had he done something a little more avant garde...

Alex S #45857 03/18/13 12:24 AM
...and he's number one in the UK and just about everywhere else! Deservedly so.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.