Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thank you Brian.

I will look if I can get a copy - would be interesting listening to the "unfinished version " too.

Really nice work...

C
C
So, you like John Foxx and the Maths? and you like those two great albums by Pink Floyd? so making a trip into town especially to buy a copy of MOJO is a no-brainer right?

Hmm, 'wish I'd stayed here and not gone there', or at least kept off the grass from the lunatics, cos this 'album' is truly abysmal.

Putting aside for the moment the argument that one should never remake a classic created by another artist - and DSOTM is undoubtedly one of those works - the heart and blood of Pink Floyd's idiosyncratic art at a towering peak, and of course if certain styles of music don't appeal to you then you'll be unable to embrace all of the styles present on this mixed bag, or 're-booted' as MOJO describe it, and thus, I'd like to boot some of its tracks all the way up to the dark side of the moon forever.

John and Benge thankfully are one of the saving graces here for me, one of the few attempting any difference - the only thing that didn't gell I felt with their take on Have A Cigar stemmed solely from the Floyd camp, the original lyrics just don't seem to do John's vocabulary any justice. Also, it seemed that although the song was on the right path it was not quite there yet, well mystery solved, having got the admission from MOJO that they screwed up, after downloading and hearing the tastier version that should have been on the disc its clear that John and Benge tweaked that Floyd track into a worthy addition to the Maths studio style.

As for the rest of the disc, well, its personal taste of course, its the indifferent, the bad, and the good on my ears:

Gallops Speak To Me, and The Oscillation's On The Run, are instantly forgettable, and Neville Skelly's Brain Damage was plain boring. The verdict is still out for me with The Last Hurrah's easy listening version of The Great Gig In The Sky - though I do like the sound of lounge, so I'm likely to play this one again. The Orb, who I liked last century up until their lame Pomme Fritz album, put in a nicely dubby but overall lazy version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part Two.

Annoyingly, I like the music on Breathe and Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part One but Our Broken Garden and Malachai respectively spoil it all for me with their unavoidable and potentially irritatingly weak female vocals, and then Lia Ices goes one better, or worse rather, with its singer trashing Wish You Were Here.
Wolf People had me racing for the off switch with their pubrock Time, as does the Pineapple Thief's Money, and Of Arrowe Hill had me reaching for the shotgun and blasting my CD player at point blank range to obliterate from memory that goddamn awful version of Eclipse.

It leaves only four tracks from this venture that I'd happily play on repeat, Beak> with their Welcome To The Machine and its Wire/Elastica influenced tempo, which leads smoothly into John and Benge's contribution. The biggest unexpected surprise for me was finding myself loving Doug Paisleys Us And Them (there's a kind of Besnard Lakes quality to it that appeals to me), and this is followed really neatly by Matt Berry's short but trippy Any Colour You Like.

I've added JF&M cover version to the Have a Cigar wikipedia page (in English)

Last edited by MemberD; 08/26/11 07:26 AM.
H
H
Call me a bit of a purist, but I find the whole idea of John doing cover versions a bad idea. For me, when an artist starts covering songs by other acts he’s saying two things;
i) that he’s run out of original ideas
ii) that he’s admitting he lacks the ability to write a song as good as the one he’s covering.

I don’t think in John’s case, either of the above is true so I’m mystified as to why he accepted this commission. Yes, it may gain him a new fan or two but is it really worth compromising his artistic integrity to do so? I hope John’s list of songs to cover in the interview was tongue in cheek – if it wasn’t he might as well pack in doing original material altogether and join the other karaoke acts on the X Factor!

J
J
I don't have a problem with John doing a cover version myself.

Had it been released and marketed as a single, then that's a bit of a worry, but as an ode to a great band who has indeed influenced his work (as mentioned in the interview), then that's totally fine by me. Some of the greatest artists ever have done covers in their time, and take a look at a vast bulk of electronic music: it's built up on sampling other pieces.

If it were him singing over the original backing track, then I'd feel a real need to be concerned.

Quote:
It’s a thumb rule, if you’re doing a cover, unless it’s a song that somehow got missed, you should take it in a completely different approach.

Phil Oakey of The Human league on cover versions in examiner.com

I have tried to download these two tracks twice, whats an AIF file anyway. If I save it as that or as "all files" all I get is a loud scratchy feedback on both Have a Cigar and Evergreen, so I am unable to enjoy these two.
Is anyone able to assist me with an mp3 of them, I dont like to ask, but feel left out of not being able to enjoy. Or can Mojo put them into some other format so they can be downloaded in a conventional manner?
Many thanks
Peter

Administrator
Administrator
This all seems a bit odd to me. I downloaded both tracks (.aiff) files, opened them with itunes and they play perfectly...??

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
well i for one cannot get them to play, maybe they dont like Real Player?

Have just downloaded again, they are fine on i-tunes but dont seem to like Windows or Real player's. Finally I can enjoy these two.

Last edited by loveaction; 08/30/11 05:17 PM.
H
H
I had a similar problem. Soundforge (which normally plays just about any audio formet) had a hissy fit and refused to load the aiffs. In the end I had to use the freeware "VLC player" to hear them on my PC.

As for converting to mp3, there are plenty of audio convertor programs knocking about. Just type "aiff mp3 convert free" into your favourite search engine and take your pick!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.