Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
The Archive
The highly anticipated release from long time John Foxx collaborator - Louis Gordon. A move away from his song based releases such as Closed Gone Fishing and E.S.T. - Blind Anorexic is an all electronic assault that pushes ALL the right buttons.

The full track-listing is as follows...
01. Girl with a Voltage
02. Jailbait (featuring Allan Owens)
03. Memories of Water
04. Blind Anorexic
05. Magic Eye
06. Strange Individuals
07. Move Though Grey
08. Movie Stars
09. Ride My Bike
10. Beautiful Girls With Miserable Faces
11. Return of the Red Eye

Catalogue Number - toff0002
Price - £12.99 + Postage & Packing
Web - http://www.toffeetronic.co.uk/tt_shop.html

Louis also has a track on the Recliner CD which is also out on the 19th of April on the Toffeetones label - A chilled out mix of mellow and far out tunes from various artists. DJ Matty Toffee has skillfully blended each track together to make the whole experience melt in your mouth like a piece of chocolate. Recliner Volume 1 is the first in a series of chilled electronic compilations from new label Toffeetones. This volume is a real all rounder covering many different elements of the electronic genre including electronica, electro-accoustic, excotica, ambient and even a splash of mellow house. The artists include Loop Guru, Louis Gordon, The Electric Riot, Sarah Bradshaw, Ribside, Geoff Pinckney (tenek, Mesh), Futuredaze, Toffeetronic and many more... All 17 tracks are mixed and blended into a non-stop ray of audio sunshine by Toffeetones very own Matty Toffee. Recliner is best served on a sunny day in the garden, accompanied by a nice cold beer.

The full track-listing is as follows...
01. Introdelic...
02. Closer [Sarah Bradshaw]
03. Supermanz [Ribside]
04. Lull [Slipper]
05. After the Rain [Futuredaze]
06. The Routine [Toffeetronic]
07. See You in the Morning [Louis Gordon]
08. Mid-ville.....
09. Spring [Loop Guru]
10. Spacedub [C.B.W]
11. 02:22 [Burgy Rocks]
12. Escape [The Light Dreams]
13. Here I am [Elite]
14. You & You Again [Better Strangers]
15. Al's Kitchen [Jake Price]
16. As the Sun Beats Down [The Electric Riot]
17. Holding onto Something [Geoff Pinckney]

Catalogue Number - toff0003
Price - £10.00 + Postage & Packing
Web - http://toffeetones.toffeetronic.co.uk/ReclinerEPK.htm

Rob

Thanks Rob. Excellent news.

Been awaiting this for ages,well excited smile

Just ordered my copy smile I notice two of the tracks (Blind Anorexic & Return of the Red Eye) have the same titles as tracks on the 'Deep Electic Blue' EP . I guess these tracks are the same and have been carried forward?

It's arrived (with a free gift as well) laugh

Mine arrived yesterday too,and my free gift smile
Ta!

Administrator
Administrator
I've played this a fair few times now and thought I'd post some thoughts. Thoughts that haven't yet been pulled into a review as such, but presented here as they fell onto my notepad while listening.
Fragmented impressions. Previously unreleased demo version... cool

Louis Gordon - Blind Anorexic

Excellent intro to Girl with a Voltage teasing into a Detroit acid-beat track more reminiscent of Nation 12 than the pounding bass of Crash and Burn that I was expecting.
Infectious rhythm that has that game soundtrack quality.
Boom boom. Hiss. Squelch. Bring the beat back

Jailbait is immediately more melodic. Jerry Lee Lewis. Woody Allen. Are you tryin' to be funny?
This beat is, this beat is, this bit is disco-tronic. And it's a hit in anyone's language.

Memories of Water is a superb title. Nice nod of the hat to "He's a Liquid." Hints of ambience.
Clever but rather directionless.
Like water then? Nearly, but not quite.
Well placed track, hints at the variety to come.

The water trickles down the wall into the title-track.
Familiar to LG fans from the Deep Electric Blue EP. Picks up the breakbeats from the girl with a voltage, but feels strangely safe.
Quickly becomes over-familiar.

That inhuman presence next to your ear is John Foxx.
One starts to feel the under-presence of the quiet man as this album progresses, and he nearly surfaces on Magic Eye. This is the intro to Strange Individuals
again from the DEB EP. Sadly, Louis has chosen to leave the irritating blandness in this track rather than take the opportunity to mash-up a new version.

Underpass meets Hiroshima. Blend in a bit of Film One and you really do begin to Move through Grey This track is very aware of its unrealised greatness and you can feel its frustration at a not-quite-brave-enough creator. Could become the best track on the album once time and confidence weave their magic.
Something is holding it back. The shadow of a grey man's hand?

So he stepped out. The shadow is passing. Let there be light.
Now I'm expectant. Interest re-kindled. Bass notes and strings. Gentle melody over the drum beat. Its touch and go whether Movie Stars works or not, but I love it for that. Perhaps one idea too many - got predictable very quickly.
Frustrated. Promised greater things.

Baby you can Ride My Bike. Impressive start, but a lot hangs on this track. Comes at that difficult point in any album that the listener isn't quite sure about. LG has been given the benefit of the doubt so far, but to carry off the next 20 minutes this track needs to work. He's pedalling up hill, but he's got my vote and I'm willing him on. It builds and builds and I'm smiling again.

Leaves you wondering what's next. That's a good thing. A song about girls. Hurrah. Beautiful girls with Miserable faces. There's a lot of them round 'ere.
Go on Louis, sing. You know you want to. And this rocks! One quality LG has in abundance is humour, and he uses that to great to effect here. Wicked rhymes crash and Sparks fly in all directions. He's done it. Or is he just being silly?

For me, the album ends here.
The Return of the Red Eye is a bonus track.
Back in the acid-house, and fits into a better context here than on the DEB EP. It deserves to be heard, and I'm glad its got decent prodcution now.
I did struggle with a whole 15 minutes of it though.
Mind you, I'm rubbish at dancin'.

I'd go for a six-nearly-seven for this after a handful of listens.
Its not quite what I was expecting and its not quite what I wanted it to be, but its a fascinating album that is chock full of ideas, talent and creative energy.
I think the middle third is just a little bit too Foxxy, but that's hardly surprising given Louis has been teaching John a thing or two about his own music for more than ten years now.

Everything Louis does sparkles with different, and Blind Anorexic is infectiously individual.
That might sound a bit cheesy, but there's enough experimental twiddly bits and craziness mixed into to leave a rather exciting taste on the back of the tongue.

Congratulations to Louis for getting this far, and to Mr Toffee for bringing this onto the field of play.
Stand-outs:
Move Through Grey
Ride My Bike
beautiful Girls...

The beginning is nigh...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Martin,

Thanks for the excellent review. My current favourite is 'Move Through Grey', but this may change after a few more listens laugh

A very big thank you from Toffeetones to all the forum members who have purchased a copy of Louis album 'Blind Anorexic'.

laugh
More soon........

Matty

C
C
Just ordered my copy. Louis excels with his electronics so far realised onto 3 EPs until this long play. We have no doubts why John chose Louis as his sidekick.

Matt, is there any chance that you'll be selling the Deep Electric Blue EP? cool It's the only one I've missed out on his releases.

Cheers!
Chris wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.