Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35613 06/16/08 01:35 PM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone know if the themes for Gods & Speedball 2 sound different on various different computer systems? I used to have an Amiga and the original Gods and Speedball 2 games. I took the music mod from these versions and converted them to MP3 but since sound chips on computers were very different from eachother back then I can imagine that the PC versions sound completely different. Any opinions on which game version is the best quality?
And did they make any proper studio recordings of these songs or were they written solely for the limited computer hardware back then?

#35614 06/17/08 04:06 PM
I used to have Gods and Speedball 2 on my Amiga. Those were the days smile

I haven't heard any other versions, although I have an MP3 of the Amiga version, and it sounds really close to the 'real' studio version, which you'll find on the Electrofear album.

It would be interesting to know how the other versions differed - although the Amiga was probably the best, because back then it was top of the range for just about everything.

#35615 06/17/08 04:10 PM
Interestingly, studio versions of both "Into the Wonderful" from Gods and the Speedball 2 theme are featured on this CD:
Immortal vol 3

#35616 06/17/08 04:59 PM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, thanks Alex!
Like you said, Into The Wonderful is on Electrofear but I think hardly anyone knows that there's a studio version of Speedball 2. I'm gonna order that CD right away. Pinball Fantasies and Agony are also on it laugh

#35617 06/17/08 07:15 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for this Alex, I have seen reference to this before, but it slipped by.
I would imagine this version of Into the Wonderful is the original, and quite different from the Electrofear one.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#35618 06/18/08 08:08 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
I was looking at the album description again and it says: Like on the previous volumes, most of the tracks have been arranged by the original artists again. Which could of course mean that they used the mods which were used in the games themself. But that would mean it's only 8 bit sound quality and not an improvement over the versions we already have.

[edit] By the way, I've found a much cheaper shop if anyone's interested: http://www.c64audio.com/productInfo.php?cat=IMM3
It's only £17.56 including shipping overthere.

But...
Looking at the album credits there it says Into The Wonderful is performed by Jan Zottmann & Fabian Del Priore and Speedball 2 is performed by Christian Pignon. So sadly enough we're dealing with covers of the originals here frown [/edit]

#35619 06/18/08 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by John Barker:
I was looking at the album description again and it says: Like on the previous volumes, most of the tracks have been arranged by the original artists again. Which could of course mean that they used the mods which were used in the games themself. But that would mean it's only 8 bit sound quality and not an improvement over the versions we already have.

[edit] By the way, I've found a much cheaper shop if anyone's interested: http://www.c64audio.com/productInfo.php?cat=IMM3
It's only £17.56 including shipping overthere.

But...
Looking at the album credits there it says Into The Wonderful is performed by Jan Zottmann & Fabian Del Priore and Speedball 2 is performed by Christian Pignon. So sadly enough we're dealing with covers of the originals here frown [/edit]
Ooh... cheaper shop!! Thanks for the link.

I might have to investigate that CD, as I have very fond memories of great computer game music from that period. I have the Immortal 1 CD, and the tracks are all new studio re-works by the original artists. By the sound of it, that's not always the case with the 3rd volume, but I'm sure it's worth a listen anyway, particularly for any ex-Amiga gamers out there such as myself. smile

#35620 06/20/08 06:29 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I'm an old Amiga gamer myself so it's very interesting these tracks are re-released. How do the re-makes on vol. 1 sound? I hope they didn't take away the computer game feeling too much?

#35621 06/25/08 06:40 PM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by John Barker:
Does anyone know if the themes for Gods & Speedball 2 sound different on various different computer systems? I used to have an Amiga and the original Gods and Speedball 2 games. I took the music mod from these versions and converted them to MP3 but since sound chips on computers were very different from eachother back then I can imagine that the PC versions sound completely different.
My recollection is that trackers used only samples so there shouldn't be too much variance between platforms. I had Gods on Atari ST and I also heard it on PC and they were pretty much identical. If you can get hold of the original mod files then I think you can get a Winamp plugin to play them (I'd have to check.)

#35622 06/26/08 08:17 AM
Amiga? Ha! I spit on the Amiga.

(I had an ST.. built-in MIDI..)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.