Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
H
Here's the View From The Halloway:

Nation 12
Unutterable rubbish. A case of 'oooh look how many presets I've got on my drum machine.'

She Was
If you screw your eyes really tight this could almost be an out-take from Metamatic, if it weren't for the naff vocoder and naffer lyric.

Shadow Dancing
Hints of 'The Garden' album here. One of the more interesting tracks on the album due to its varying textures. Gets silly towards the end.

Florian
This starts off sounding like a cross between Bill Nelson and Aneka. If I then say that it rather tails off then you'll understand just how bad it is.

Electrofear
Zzzzzz.

Listen To The Drummer
Oddly enough, if this had been released as a single it might have been a hit due to the use of funky black samples and orchestra hits.

Leaving
I rather like this one, almost as much as 'Through My Sleeping.' The percussion is a little lighter than on other tracks and includes a tabla which gives it a faintly Bhangra-esque feel.

Into The Wonderful
I actually owned a copy of 'Gods' on the Atari ST which used a tracker version of this song, so it occupies a special place in my heart as the only new John Foxx track I heard between 1985 and 1995.

Cities Of Light 1
Not as good as the TPOE version.

Your Kisses Burn
Starts off sounding like that dreadful 'Macarena' song and plummets thereon in. You can actually sing the words of 'Macarena' over the top of it - go on - try it.

Remember
Utterly unmemorable.

Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible
The version on 'Shifting City' was my least favourite Foxx song. No longer because this is even worse.

Invisible Women
Not very good.

There are the some remixes of three tracks. I haven't even bothered to listen to those.

To quote that Brummy lady who used to be on 'Juke Box Jury', "I'll give it five.' Out of 100.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thankyou Harold...at last an honest opinion!

Thankyou Harold...at last a longer opinion!

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Thankyou Harold...at last an honest opinion!
hmmm, the implication of that statement being confused

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
hmmm, the implication of that statement being confused
Somebody knocking a JF 'project' ! it just sounded incredibly honest. I notice then even when we discuss stuff like 'Mysterious Ways' we're always trying to 'defend' it somehow, whereas for me it was the last straw after a disappointing Golden Section.."and now this..!"

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
From the standard set by John Foxx albums, this is not too good.
Short , but honest from the start!

As we all were.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
[b] hmmm, the implication of that statement being confused
Somebody knocking a JF 'project' ! it just sounded incredibly honest.[/b]
The implication being confused
An opinion is just that, an opinion. Two people sharing an opinion should not discredit differing opinions. I think everyone who posted here was being honest in their views and trying to let you formulate your own opinion.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
fair enough :rolleyes:

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
ha! ha! ..just saw your 'what are you listening to..' post MaryAnn !! was that provoked or just a coincidence!? cool

H
H
Having laid into 'Electrofear', I will try to redress the balance by sticking up for 'IMW.' I think that 'Stepping Softly' and 'IMW' are great 'highs' which help balance out the overall blandness of most of the rest of the album. 'Stars on 45' and 'Morning Glory' do belong in the dustbin and the rest of the album I can take or leave.

But it's been said before (if not here then elsewhere) that in 1984/5 just about all music was crap so in that respect 'IMW' is primus inter pares.

To return to 'Electrofear', there's no substitute for hearing it for yourself. You might like it. On the other hand, I think you will most likely be made aware of why it was never released at the time (i.e. it's shite.)

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.