Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35428 01/19/07 07:12 PM
OP Online
Can anyone tell me why Robin didn't stood in Magazine after John McGeoch left the band. He did touring with Magazine - and you can hear him playing on the live recording "Play". But why did he left them ? He did a great job. He was THE! best replacement for John McGeoch. I know this was happen for many years ago, but I wondered about this.
I was very glad Robin was in Magazine after Ultravox 's split. They were my fav. No. 2 (after Ultravox).
Would be nice to know the reason...

#35429 04/15/07 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
Can anyone tell me why Robin didn't stood in Magazine after John McGeoch left the band. He did touring with Magazine - and you can hear him playing on the live recording "Play". But why did he left them ? He did a great job. He was THE! best replacement for John McGeoch. I know this was happen for many years ago, but I wondered about this.
I was very glad Robin was in Magazine after Ultravox 's split. They were my fav. No. 2 (after Ultravox).
Would be nice to know the reason...
In the late 70's 'Magazine' were my favourite band, even managed to see them when they came to Hull (Second hand daylight' period).

I've had a look at shotbybothsides.com. There's an interesting 'Rock Family Tree' that gives some idea as to what happened with Robin Simon, unfortuately it's a bit vague;

"July 1980 to December 1980. A new guitarist arrives - Robin Simon formerly of Neo and Ultravox. Devoto: "As I understand it he stayed in America when Ultravox folded (temporarily in March 79 - see family tree) and was living in New York -. but he'd just arrived back in England when. we contacted him. It seemed fortuitous'. We did a couple of weeks rehearsal then a month long tour of America and a month in Australia where we cut a live. album." PLAY (V 2184 Dec 80 #69). On their return Simon leaves- Something to do with inaccessibility and the absence of what Virgin describe as "a genuine and practical basis for collaboration." Devoto; "Around the time of 'Secondhand daylight' - that was an album which took itself seriously--for which I make no apologies because I Still think 'it's great - we really went for it. We did a major tour playing Major venues - but then went off on a different tack. with 'Soap'. If we'd stayed in the Same direction-.who knows?" Next album.
Magazine #5"

#35430 04/16/07 02:07 PM
OP Online
Many Thanks, Johnny. Like you, Magazine was one of my favourite bands. A shame I never saw them live!
So, it was only a short collaboration - I assumed there were some problems between them. For my opinion , Robin was the best replacement after John McGeoch had left the band.
I have one concert with Robin playing guitar on DVD. It's recorded in Berlin 1980.
Do you know if Howard Devoto is active in music today?

I own his CD "Jerky versions of the dream" from 1983 and his collaboration with Pete Shelley " Buzzkunst". Both are good too...

smile Andreas

#35431 04/16/07 07:35 PM
If you can, get hold of both 'Luxuria' albums 'Unanswerable Lust' and 'Beast Box' Devoto's project late 80's. Both Albums are excellent and in my opinion much better than the earlier solo album and Buzzkunst. I understand Devoto is working as a photo archivist now.

#35432 04/17/07 12:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i would even go as far & say that devoto's work with or as luxuria was his best so far ... if not ever !

"redneck" by luxuria is in my all-time favorite tunes list - FOREVER ! ;-)

#35433 04/20/07 02:20 PM
OP Online
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Jazz:
If you can, get hold of both 'Luxuria' albums 'Unanswerable Lust' and 'Beast Box' Devoto's project late 80's. Both Albums are excellent and in my opinion much better than the earlier solo album and Buzzkunst. I understand Devoto is working as a photo archivist now.
Seems I have to go to the record shop next...
Sounds VERY interesting.
A photo archivist... shame he makes no music today. But who knows? Perhaps one day...?

wink Andreas

#35434 04/20/07 07:18 PM
Shadowman, wish you luck tracking copies of the Luxuria albums down. Just did a search of Amazon.co.uk, there are second hand copies available, well one of each frown

oh, by the way here's what the wikipedia has to say about Devoto. There are gaping holes i'm sure;

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Devoto][/URL]

#35435 04/24/07 07:08 AM
H
H
I notice on eBay that there seem to be some recently released Magazine CDs - are these remasters?

#35436 04/24/07 03:43 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Harold Halloway:
I notice on eBay that there seem to be some recently released Magazine CDs - are these remasters?
Yes, Harold. All four of Magazine's studio albums have been remastered and all include bonus tracks. And I bought all four in their pre-polished state last year. frown

#35437 04/24/07 06:10 PM
OP Online
Me too. But the older ones includes the Lyrics!! - the remasters includes some text about the recording period of each album + the bonus tracks.

I bought the 3 CD box set "Maybe it's right to be nervous now" in the past, which includes all of these bonus tracks + some other rare stuff (Peel sessions, alternate versions, live tracks and a very nice booklet...)

BTW: There is one copy of it on E bay - found it today as I was searching for other stuff...!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.