Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 753 1 2 3 4 5 752 753
C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, I finally got a chance to listen to my new CDs.

First came Wolfgang´s Riechmann´s Wunderbar. An instrumental album very ARP based. If you like Oxygene by Jarre you´ll like this one. Although the title track is not Oxygene 4 but is still a pretty good instrumental and did feature during the first part of Rusty´s (Egan) Blitz nights just to get the people in the correct ambience.

Then came some aural torture confused in the form of industrial music as performed by Kluster. They may have been the guys who invented Industrial Music but it´s certainly not for me. Even Cluster 71 and Cluster 11 are in the same vein. I´d only rescue a track from the latter "Im Suden". Then came Zuckerzeit to my amazement. This is a great album and one which ranks alongside Autobahn and Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy as the electronic albums of 1974. The unfortunate thing is that Cluster´s pioneering synth pop only lasted one album. Their next releases were very good ie Sowieoso, Cluster & Eno, After The Heat and Grosses Wasser. Not too sure about the track from After The Heat "Broken Head" as featured on Rusty´s playlist. Their 1981 release, Curiosum, was going back to their industrial days, a real shame. Begegnungen and Begegnungen II are interesting compilations involving Conny Plank. Conny Plank was their engineer even during the Kluster days eek ! Conny was also involved in the production at some point.

I then listened to a series of albums by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, more noises! :rolleyes: . Interesting from an historical context. I´ll pick one, Doctor Who at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop Volume 1. Pre-synthesiser electronic music or so they claim. I´m sure they had some organ wired to some oscillators! The original Doctor Who Theme never seems to amaze me, probably the first electronic piece of music ever to be realised. This one was composed by Ron Grainer but surprisingly enough, although not credited originally, the track was performed and realised by Delia Derbyshire at the Workshop. With a track there is always the songwriting and the sound. Usually its the songwriting that carries the weight but in this case Delia´s work on sound outweighs what Ron may have written on a piano! Timeless classic!

Chris C laugh

L
L
I've been revisiting The Killers 'Hot Fuss' recently. 'Mr Brightside' is just a wonderful track, depite the subject matter of the material.

LG
x

Hot Fuss is really good which is why I was soooo
disappointed with the new one.

Just a few tracks from the recent numan shows..

Nik Kershaw - Youve got to laugh. His latest internet only album.

Funnily enough, I'm listening to that too, Robert! laugh

The Archive
The Archive
Currently listening to Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass... Anyone else here like Philip Glass?

Rob

B
B
The remastered Ultravox that I got for Xmas. Man, I had no idea they were so great live! Wish I'd had the chance to see them.
And what punk song does 'Quirks' remind anyone of? It seems sooo familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
Also the Tom Waits box "Orphans". The man has never put out a bad record. Nice collection of new, rare and oddities.

J
J
I've been a Philip Glass fan ever since I saw him on SNL back in '86. He was a welcome diversion from their usual offerings of Mr. Mister and Level 42.

The first i heard of Philip Glass was in the early '80s on a bbc documentary programme. (I think it included David Bowie doing some choreography movements to some of hes music!!) The interest has stayed all the time since that first programme, although i prefer the more piano only works.

Page 3 of 753 1 2 3 4 5 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.