Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3368 05/19/10 05:11 PM
OP Offline
This may seem a bit silly of me since I have been reading this forum for some time now, but I never took the time to say a quick hello. I joined this forum having started out on the UV Forum. Although I see several names in common to both sites I seem to be gravitating much more to this one over the past year or so.

I live over in the USA where I was fortunate enough to be exposed to UV and John Foxx in the late 70s & early 80's while attending college (university). John is without a doubt at the top of my "Most Influential / Personal Favorite Artist" list.

I am not one to talk much about myself but will share a quick story. I grew up in a relative small town in the US state of Pennsylvania. There were no progressive or alternative radio stations there at all. However one day when I got home from school I turned on my little radio and heard a song that was so far apart from absolutely anything else I had ever heard that I sat there speechless until it was done. Slow sparse thumping. Vocals more spoken than sung. Of course the DJ didn't give the artist's name (and I was too dim to think to call the station.) Fast forward a year, I was away attending my first year of college and had discovered early Gary Numan. Based on his sincere praise of all things Ultravox I ran to "big city's" new wave record store and bought Three Into One. When I got back to my apartment and played it I was completely shocked to hear that very same song. My Sex. Funny how things work out sometimes. To this day I can't believe our small town's radio station played that song. I am sure that DJ was sacked almost immediately.

But that is more than enough about me. smile I have enjoyed visiting this forum immensely and have benefitted greatly from all your comments and especially your reviews. Take care and best wishes to all.

Andy

#3369 05/19/10 05:18 PM
Hi Andy.

Welcome here as a registered member now... wink

#3370 05/19/10 06:01 PM
S
S
Hi Andy & welcome.

#3371 05/19/10 06:25 PM
Hi Andy,

Welcome laugh

Brian

#3372 05/19/10 06:51 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Nice story - thanks for sharing.

Welcome aboard the good ship metamatic!

Martin

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#3373 05/19/10 07:18 PM
Like you moved from Uvox more to Foxx, I moved from Numan more to Foxx. Three into One ..., it was my first Uvox album too!
Best wishes for U2 Andy.
smile

#3374 05/20/10 06:42 AM
M
M
Hi Andy. Glad you made it over to Metamatic.

Welcome

Mark

#3375 05/20/10 03:51 PM
OP Offline
Sincere thanks for all your greetings! smile

#3376 05/21/10 08:12 AM
C
C
Hi Andy smile

thanks for posting your story, I love that image of turning on the radio as a teenager and hearing something magical come through...

#3377 05/21/10 10:04 AM
Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum!

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.