Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
#33753 09/10/09 10:55 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Do we know if the forthcoming TPOE remix album includes the version of "Cities of Light 5" that is on Glimmer?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33754 09/11/09 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
[QUOTE] It'd be a nice gesture if the remix of "A Million Cars" could be provided by Townsend as a free mp3 for those of us who bought the original "limited edition" version of the album.
Totally agree with you Steve. I am also struggling to see any difference in the artwork for the new edition of NKOM, although one of the buttons on the suit does seem to have three holes in it rather than the four that where on the buttons on the limited edition suit. wink

#33755 09/11/09 08:30 AM
TPOE is my favourite Foxx album. It wasn't broken, so why try and fix it? I didn't feel the new version of Cities of Light on Glimmer was worth bothering with. But that's only one track, and because it is an album I absolutely love, I am curious to hear how a remixed version will sound. Most of all I'm excited about two unreleased tracks. I just hope these won't be instrumental, that would be disappointing.

So while I'm going to go for the new TPOE (especially if it has expanded artwork), I'm less bothered about Shifting City. If anything, that was the album which needed some remixing, as well as remastering. And I have to say I'm not interested in having the Omnidelic Exotour tracks again, even if there are minor differences. I was rather hoping for some unreleased tracks from the time. I'm not bothered about demos and find they have a very limited appeal.

In the Glow sounds good although, being from an era of that I'm not too interested in, I'll probably save that one for a rainy day, Or Christmas, at least!

It's funny to note the remixing of "A Million Cars". I'm assuming the backing vocal referred to is the samples wailing female vocal. I would have just taken it out completely!!

#33756 09/11/09 12:04 PM
H
H
There really is no pleasing us, is there? Whatever tracks are on the reissues, people will always complain that there aren't enough unreleased tracks.

I suppose it just goes to show what a dedicated bunch of fans we are, so in some ways it's a compliment.

I'm not too fussed about the Shifting City reissue but I think I'll buy TPOE. I do hope the remixes add something new, but the word "remix" is open to many interpretations. Are they remixes in that the songs have been radically reworked with new sounds, rhythms and melody lines, or have the mixes simply been "rebalanced" so that the volume, panning and effects used on the individual sounds has been slightly altered?

As for unrleased tracks, I think TPOE and "Crash And Burn" were recorded at the same time with the more aggressive tracks going on C&B and the more laid back ones going on TPOE. Hence there've already been 25 songs released from those sessions so I'd be surprised if there was a great deal more unrleaed material from that era.

#33757 09/11/09 12:30 PM
I remember talking to John the first time I met him and he said that many of the tracks on C&B were leftover from the TPOE sessions. So that figures - at least there are two new ones to look forward to.

I'm hoping that the tracks on the new versions are not remixes per say, but more like revisited with new parts added and improved where it was perhaps weak in places.

I guess we'll see!

In the very least it'll be great to see these two brilliant albums back on the shelves.

#33758 09/11/09 02:37 PM
So how many albums will John have released this year? 7? 8?? I'm losing count now! wink laugh

#33759 09/11/09 05:13 PM
C
C
7 new ones (perhaps I've left one out smile ) plus 2 forthcoming albums DNA and the one with Paul Daley. That will make it 9 in 09! eek

All high quality stuff.

Once again special thanks to the artist, management and support team. You're all amazing!

Chris wink

#33760 09/11/09 05:21 PM
And the one with Bilge. Barge. Benge. Whatever his name is!

#33761 09/11/09 05:49 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
7 new ones (perhaps I've left one out smile ) plus 2 forthcoming albums DNA and the one with Paul Daley. That will make it 9 in 09!
I shall now begin agitating for 10 in '10. Who's with me?

So how many albums are we waiting for now?

Paul Daley collaboration
DNA
Benge collaboration
Vincent Gallo collaboration
Harold Budd collaboration
Architectural Music

Wasn't there talk of something with Bill Nelson? Not to mention Metamatica, Urban Motets, Metadelic, and Metatronic, which were first mentioned how many years ago?

#33762 09/11/09 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsong
Do we know if the forthcoming TPOE remix album includes the version of "Cities of Light 5" that is on Glimmer?
Martin - Yes, here is the info from Rob:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mongrel:
Where is the version of Cities of Lights from? It's wonderful.
It's from the forthcoming re-issue of The Pleasures of Electricity.

Rob

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.