Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#33613 02/11/10 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I don't have an account. Perhaps someone could 'Ask the Seller' about these...?

You'd think they would say, wouldn't you?

It's quite important information if you're thinking of buying eek :rolleyes:
Auction has ended - sold for 6 pound fifty.

#33614 02/13/10 01:04 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Seems I can answer my own question.

A million thanks to gem for the spark of inspiration that was needed, and well done chris too for the clue about the 'non UK' architecture

These were taken in Toronto, March 1979.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33615 02/13/10 05:17 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Interview in The Quietus by one Garry Hensey ...
Blackpool Neon Tango
Nice interview, and lots of Foxxspeak full of quotable bits:-
”Of course it was all a little clumsy at first, then slowly, I began to get my own grammar right. It gradually became a bit more refined. Then it actually became practical. No one was more surprised than me”. - A great description about the process of eventually finding yourself through your work.

” Eventually I had to abandon Foxx. He had no function any longer. Former self looking back at me from record covers in Oxfam”. - Such a poignant statement, and how often in the past have we also seen John's (old/young) face in those places.

I hope he expands upon his view of the Psychedelic again in an interview, and although he’s clearly talking in a wider, presumably philosophical sense, taking his comments literally for a moment, Metamatic tracks like A Blurred Girl, 030, and No-one Driving are surely brilliantly Psychelectric.

#33616 03/05/10 08:18 PM
A couple of 'rare' photos are up on E-bay at the moment; -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Foxx-Ultravox...=item2a0520aa3a

Asking a fair whack though

#33617 03/12/10 07:23 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Here's a rarity that you will all enjoy.

Posted recently by Benge

http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.com/2010/03/great-interview-with-john-foxx.html

The interview was conducted by John Diliberto (echoes.com) in the summer of 1982. It's remarkable how consistently perceptive Foxx has been throughout this time.

Synth fans will enjoy Benge's postings no doubt. He's got some amazing gear.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33618 03/12/10 09:03 PM
C
C
Thanks for posting the link to the interview Birdsong, and many thanks to Benge for providing it, totally fascinating reading, what a great interview, just wish I’d experienced knowing all of it back at the release of TGS.

smile

"FOXX: I think that the difference between music and songs is that: A song is an expression of how people feel. They can sing it and when you hear a song you like you can sing along to it. But you tend to listen to music and feel it. You don't sing along with music. That's probably a clumsy way of saying it, but it's true. The best writers reflect how things are at the time, whether it's trivial or silly or whatever."

"JD: Your earlier lyrics and music were often very psychotic and also had a certain psychedelic overtone to them.
FOXX: Yes. I don't really know what psychedelic means, but I've always been interested in the way people perceive things ... also the way memory affects the way you look at things. In lots of songs I was trying to see people through memories. For instance, if I see an old lady in the street, I just see an old lady and that's it. But her husband will see layers and layers of her extending backwards in time from now to when she was a young girl that he was in love with in the summer of 1920. It's a very beautiful way of looking at someone. He doesn't just see this moment, but endless successions of moments. We all do this to varying degrees to people we see, and the more we know them, the more multi-faceted the perception of them becomes."

#33619 03/15/10 08:55 AM
Thanks Martin ... glad to see Benge refers to Sir John as 'Foxxy' ha!

Martin: what's that podcast interview 'echoesblog' refers to in the comments?

#33620 03/15/10 04:35 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Hi

I have no idea if this is still available as a podcast, but the interview referred to was broadcast in two parts in August 2006:

John Foxx (Part One) : From Metal Beats To Ambience Discrete.
John Foxx (Part Two) : Tiny Colour Movies.

John Diliberto interviewed Foxx for this in May 2006 I think.
If you have a rummage round the echoes site (as per JD's comment) then you might find it

#33621 03/16/10 01:14 PM
I also read at the end of the interview:
Quote:
This John Foxx interview is taken from the "Metal Beat" segment of Totally Wired: Artists in Electronic Sound, a 26-part radio documentary examining the artistic development of electronic music through interviews and music of the artists.
Might be worth finding!

#33622 04/20/10 04:55 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I thinkthere's a Smash Hits 1980 review of Metamatic here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/4318194500/in/set-72157623317138044/

But I can only view a blank page (31)

Can anyone else have any better luck??
The host (briandamage) has assured me its there, but I can't see it.
If you can download it OK, let me know

There are occasional other Foxx things here too, but I've got all of those.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.