Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3254 10/04/09 06:37 PM
OP Offline
Hi Guys,

I stumbled upon this site having been investigating the cultural heroes of the Lancashire town of Chorley.

As you may or may not be aware Chorley is competing to be the UK's first City of Culture, and as such people have begun discussing what contribution the people of Chorley have made to the world of music. Immediately John Foxx of Ultravox fame was mentioned followed by Star Sailor and one of the highlights of this summers Glastonbury The Lancashire Hotpots and not forgetting the punk band The Shoks whose drummer Michael Jennings is a British Welterweight Boxing Champion who recently lost to Miguel Angel Cotto in New York whilst competing for the world title, wow!

One of the many events to recognise the year of culture (if our bid is successful) is that of a concert in the grounds of Astley Park with the 16th century Jacobean Astley Hall as a backdrop. The concert of course would feature all of Chorley’s musical greats if available for the gig.

The council are currently drawing up the bid proposal and there is also a very active Facebook group 'Chorley the First UK City of Culture Bid' which I began, new members always welcome, especially the famous. With this in mind I was wondering if John might be available to headline a summer 2013 gig with the other artists previously mentioned.

This is straight up, it is for real. I feel Chorley can tick all of Phil Redmond and co's (the judges) boxes. After all Sir Henry Tate founder of the Tate gallery was a Chorley born lad. If John is interested drop me a line and I can provide further details or you may wish to speak with the council.

Please do give this some thought. Chorley has its faults but overall it’s a great place and we just want to share and enjoy our culture and all it has to offer in bringing about a social cohesion.

Thanks for reading x

#3255 10/04/09 08:04 PM
S
S
Hi mate. Welcome to the group. Nice article but Glasgow was City of Culture about 20 years ago.

#3256 10/05/09 12:55 AM
OP Offline
Hi bud,

I love Glasgow I use to stay in digs up Hyundland way near Biars Road (excuse the spelling).

No its a new thing following the success of the European City of Culture, Andy Burnham secetary of Sport and Culture has launched this competition, its been in all the press round these parts. Chorley is up against Brighton, Oxford, Durham, Salford etc. Its going to happen 2013, honest look it up on the net. Im trying to get a weekend festival going for that summer with all the local music stars past and present. John Foxx is the biggest of them. Apparently he grew up on Eaves Lane, Chorley (see wickipedia) which is just at the top of my street, small world eh?

Take care bud and if we pull it off you can come on down as a VIP

Cheerio Steve

#3257 10/05/09 03:29 PM
H
H
Since when was Chorley a city?

#3258 10/05/09 04:38 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

Well observed. No Chorley has never been a city, it is a Lancashire market town however despite the title of the competition, Chorley borough which is far larger in area terms than probably all UK cities has been nominated. Its the government to blame they aint a clue whats going on. The competition also includes nominations for 'rural England' and 'East Lancashire' neither of which are cities. Yeh seems daft but thats out of my hands.

If you want to check out the bid visit the Facebk group Chorley The First UK City of Culture Bid, it has a great following and we are all so keen to win this prize for all that it will bring and for all that we can give.

Cheers Steve
Chorley a shared culture

#3259 10/08/09 05:39 PM
Hi and very welcome to the forum! wink

Andreas

#3260 10/08/09 08:04 PM
OP Offline
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your welcome. Its a good forum with some interesting comments etc.

Cheers

Steve

#3261 10/18/09 01:00 AM
I grew up in St Anne's Road (near the old Ribble bus garage and the Rec'). Only a stones throw from Eaves Lane but, as the lane itself is about a mile long, the young Dennis could have lived either end.

He would have been a young teenager whilst I was still a toddler so there's no chance of us ever meeting back then... unless he was one of the "big lads" that laughed at me in the rec when the fire brigade were called to free my head from the iron railings!

#3262 10/18/09 02:15 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

I know St Annes Road, I grew up on St James Place off Canterbury Street, Brook Street end of Eaves Lane, I went to Sacred Heart Primary but a lot of my mates went to St James's. I now live Corporation Street, anyway not to worry.

Maybe you would like to join the Facebook group Chorley The First UK City of Culture 2013 Bid
Please encourage your mates to join.

I understand that if Chorley Borough are awarded this prize there may be a music festival staged in Astley Park. That would be fab to have all of the boroughs musical stars perform.

Cheers

take care

Steve

#3263 10/25/09 12:15 PM
A bit late but ... VERY WELCOME Chorley Lad!
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.